Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

Recommended Posts

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:46, Beardie said:

one of my pet hates...…. Lightening! I see that more and more all over the place. Lightening to me is the act of becoming lighter or, according to the dictionary - a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis, Lightning is the flash of light created during a massive discharge of atmospheric energy. Don't know why that bothers me so much but I think it's to do with the English Electric Light-ning sounding much more sharp that the English Electric light-en-ing.

I've just seen it again in the RFI Aircraft section - what's up with folks, can't they even copy the correct spelling from the box lid :suicide:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 11:46 PM, Beardie said:

Oh @Max Headroom you have committed one of my pet hates...…. Lightening! I see that more and more all over the place. Lightening to me is the act of becoming lighter or, according to the dictionary - a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis, Lightning is the flash of light created during a massive discharge of atmospheric energy. Don't know why that bothers me so much but I think it's to do with the English Electric Light-ning sounding much more sharp that the English Electric light-en-ing.

With me it's Drawring. Almost everyone down here uses this pronunciation, why?   Also off of,  & bought & brought being apparently interchangeable,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ratch said:

I've just seen it again in the RFI Aircraft section - what's up with folks, can't they even copy the correct spelling from the box lid :suicide:

Sometimes, either due to spelling mistakes or the inability to use the correct words, improper punctuation or lack of proof reading before posting I have no idea what they are saying, it reminds me of the early attempts of  the Japanese & Koreans to supply written instructions in their early kits.. So much for scrapping the 11plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current pet grump is all the rip-off merchants taking advantage of the current 'climate emergency' and the trend to the idea that veganism and eating plants is the answer to all our problems. This includes the previously mentioned £100 sodastream 'Fizzy Water Maker' which 'saves countless single use plastic bottles' because it's bottle is reuseable. Buy one bottle of water (as long as it isn't one of the ones where the lid won't retighten once opened) and you can reuse it as many times as you like and learn to enjoy 'flat' tap water. This will save you not only the £100 on the machine and also the carbon dioxide refills (Isn't CO2 part of the problem?) at whatever extortionate price they are and save you using countless single use bottles. Then we have a certain breakfast serial manufacturer selling a Granola product which they point out is 'Plant Based'. Now I may be an ignorant moron but I thought that Granola was based on 'Grain' and was, therefore all plant based. I must have missed the bacon based version somewhere along the line!

 

Finally, I recently read an article which points out that in all this Eco Friendly electrical equipment they are using a man made gas whose name I forget to guard against electrical fires but which, it has been revealed, is a huge threat to the ozone layer, being a hundred times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas and will be for 1,000 years to come opposed to a fraction of that for CO2 and, to date the amount of this gas that has been lost to the atmosphere is equivalent to another one and a half million petrol cars being put on the road! 

 

The world has gone stark staring bonkers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Beardie said:

Then we have a certain breakfast serial manufacturer selling a Granola product which they point out is 'Plant Based'. Now I may be an ignorant moron but I thought that Granola was based on 'Grain' and was, therefore all plant based. I must have missed the bacon based version somewhere along the line!

 

The world has gone stark staring bonkers!

What?

There is a bacon-based cereal? Why wasn't I informed of this earlier!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beardie said:

 The world has gone stark staring bonkers!

It started going downhill the moment they abolished the death penalty & it's been a steady decline ever since. Bring it back, if nothing else it would help with the overpopulation problem. Other countries are doing their bit, Saudi Arabia, any country in Africa, China, USA, Syria etc etc. Never mind single use plastic bags lets really make a difference & start nailing the b++++++s up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hairystick said:

Just noticed your avatar with your upward inflection plea. Thirty years ago or whatever it was when Neighbours & Home & Away first appeared on the telly I did try to fight it but no one took any action. I wrote to the prime minister suggesting an air & sea quarantine zone be set up around Oz & the shakies and that a bombing campaign be initiated against all 'stralian & Kiwi tv stations & production facilities but they did nothing. I also wrote to all the British tv companies warning them that if they didn't stop it with immediate effect I would also lobby the government to add them to the targeting list. Once again zilch, nada. Now look where we are, it's too late, give it ten years & once all the ageing resistance fighters have died everybody will be at it until the Chinese complete their takeover & knock seven bells out of everybody  'til they learn to talk properly again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@spaddad I agree with you on Oz soaps. I’d go further and ban all soaps, reality and ‘augmented reality’ shows and replace them with uplifting and educational programmes. Kenneth Clarke’s ‘The Ascent of Man’, James Burke’s ‘Connections’ and Bob Symes’ ‘Trains, Boats and Planes’ should be on a constant loop.

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things that rattles my cage is the daily lecture on BBC Breakfast program usually telling us that we should all stop eating this and must only eat that. The trouble is that these people live in another world to real people. Today's lecture was along the lines of, we should all stop driving petrol/diesel vehicles and switch to emission free electric cars. Can you see the family man who is struggling to put food on the table for his family, being able to afford the ridiculously high price of one of these vehicles. Get real! I sometimes think, that's it, I'm not watching the Beeb's morning news anymore. I'm going to switch over to ITV's Good Morning Britain with Piers Morgan and.........nah!! Maybe not.

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Beardie said:

...............My current pet grump is all the rip-off merchants taking advantage of the current 'climate emergency' and the trend to the idea that veganism and eating plants is the answer to all our problems..................Buy one bottle of water and you can reuse it as many times as you like and learn to enjoy 'flat' tap water. (Isn't CO2 part of the problem?)

The world has gone stark staring bonkers!

Hi Beardie, the 'Rip-off merchants' have always been there, they've just polished their :poop: act.

Problem with plastic bottles is which plastic their made from. 'Single use' should be used...er....once! You risk plastic migration if you use it 'many' times (that can be anything between two and five uses). Hadn't you heard? as the Country is going 'Carbon Neutral' in the next however long, they are talking about storing it underground......Hmm, last I heard rock was porous.....

Been MAD for years old son....YEARS!

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

..................Today's lecture was along the lines of, we should all stop driving petrol/diesel vehicles and switch to emission free electric cars.

Can you see the family man who is struggling to put food on the table for his family, being able to afford the ridiculously high price of one of these vehicles.

John, the only one of many sticking points I can see is where does the power (NOT including the self charging types) to re-charge the batteries come from?

Just wondered......... :analintruder:

I'll buy one when China is 100 short of being totally electric 🐎 🐫 🦄!!

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

 I agree with you on Oz soaps. I’d go further and ban all soaps,

I'm sure there're those across the Tasman who bemoan the English soaps foisted on them, just as much as I hate them being foisted on us, I'm referring of course to Coro st & Emmerdale, being the two that I get plagued with, talk about a shreik fest the both of them :( 

Happy birthday John @Biggles87  :)

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think the electric car can also be placed in the bracket of 'Eco-connery'. The mining of the Lithium is a filthy dirty and non eco-friendly business and, as PhoenixII points out, there is the question of just where all this electricity to charge the car batteries is going to come from and, of course, there is all the pollution involved in producing these new electric cars as well. I reckon that, once they think they have maximised the sales of the electric car, they will suddenly come out and say it was a mistake to pursue electric and that we all must then move to Hydrogen or some other energy source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

, we should all stop driving petrol/diesel vehicles and switch to emission free electric cars.

Can you see this happening in Russia? Will they have a charging grid, considering the size of the place?

Imagine Ivan, mid winter in Siberia, with a Nissan Leaf. Will the battery have enough juice to work the central locking before he even gets in it?

Will Germany be happy to lose all their sales of petrol and diesel cars to Russia, cos they will be 'banned' in the Eurozone.

Russia has lots of oil and gas. Milk floats ain't gonna sell there, and the locals won't want to go back to Ladas.

Perhaps VAG and BMW will open factories in the East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Personally I think the electric car can also be placed in the bracket of 'Eco-connery'. The mining of the Lithium is a filthy dirty and non eco-friendly business and, as PhoenixII points out, there is the question of just where all this electricity to charge the car batteries is going to come from and, of course, there is all the pollution involved in producing these new electric cars as well. I reckon that, once they think they have maximised the sales of the electric car, they will suddenly come out and say it was a mistake to pursue electric and that we all must then move to Hydrogen or some other energy source.

It's comforting to know there is someone else out there with the same, or even greater, levels of cynicism & disappointment as me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we should go back to real horse power 🙄

 

Yesterday I walked between the sites of Duston Mill and St. James' Mill. Why haven't these (and all the other mill sites) been redeveloped as electricity generating sites? The mill races are still there. They would be much less intrusive than the gigantic wind farms so many detest. The water flow is constant and not erratic like the wind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Cynicism is my middle name these days @spaddad Let's face it, if we really cared about 'saving the planet' at all rather than turning a buck we would simply ban all international tourism, make it against the law to carry out non-essential journeys. Limit vehicle sales, be they petrol, diesel or even electric, to only those who have a real need for them such as those in rural areas or with a real need to travel where public transport isn't available or suitable. Outlaw all fuel driven pleasure craft (boats, quads, jetskis, motocross bikes, racing cars and motorcycles etc.)  I find it funny that often the people who consider themselves the ultimate eco warriors are the ones who have travelled all over the globe "finding themselves" and filling the skies with pollution. 

 

I do think that the whole 'eco' thing and other 'issues' besides have allowed unscrupulous business to make additional fortunes by appearing to care about the 'big issues' and the public have been made to believe that, if they don't get on board with the products, they are not on board with dealing with the issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ratch:  That's OK if you want enough power for a lightbulb in the mill and not a lot more.  There are electricity-generating turbines in water flows in dams, where significant flow rates are obtained.  This is the same reason why you can't bring back into use all the windmills around the country: the wind turbines are vastly bigger and taller for a reason.  An equivalent would be trying to power all the devices in your house by pedalling on a pushbike.    Now that would interfere with modelling time!

 

 

Edited by Graham Boak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Museum ran an Anglo American day last Sunday. Centre stage in the compound was a beautiful white 1960 Cadillac El Dorado coupe. Next to it was the latest BMW i8.

Guess which one got the attention? The owner had the hood up showing a beautifully restored and pristine V8.

I noticed the Beemer didn't have the covers off showing the battery pack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beardie said:

Oh Cynicism is my middle name these days @spaddad Let's face it, if we really cared about 'saving the planet' at all rather than turning a buck we would simply ban all international tourism, make it against the law to carry out non-essential journeys. Limit vehicle sales, be they petrol, diesel or even electric, to only those who have a real need for them such as those in rural areas or with a real need to travel where public transport isn't available or suitable. Outlaw all fuel driven pleasure craft (boats, quads, jetskis, motocross bikes, racing cars and motorcycles etc.)  I find it funny that often the people who consider themselves the ultimate eco warriors are the ones who have travelled all over the globe "finding themselves" and filling the skies with pollution. 

 

I do think that the whole 'eco' thing and other 'issues' besides have allowed unscrupulous business to make additional fortunes by appearing to care about the 'big issues' and the public have been made to believe that, if they don't get on board with the products, they are not on board with dealing with the issues.

 

I find it truly tragic that the people in this country who bang on about it, as well as those who don't but sort of vaguely feel as if they should do something about it by buying a hideously expensive vehicle, so everyone can see how concerned they are, have missed the point completely.  The population of the British Isles comprises .88% of the total world population.  Given how many of the rest face starvation every day or live in crushing poverty, how many of those do you think would  give a toss about the state of the planet in 50 years, even if they were aware of the situation, when they will be lucky to make it through tomorrow. Of the rest, who exist somewhere between this lowest demographic & the exuberant over consumption of the G7  &  other prosperous nations, they've all seen Hollywood movies & tv programmes so I think it's fairly safe to say they won't be abandoning their own pursuit of a western style nirvana any time soon. Even if everybody in the British Isles turned everything off, went to bed tonight & never got up again it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever to the end result.

Edited by spaddad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah but the Eco Terrorists would tell you that, as a member of one of the more advanced countries, it is your duty to show the poor benighted rest of the world how sacrifice should be properly performed as long as it doesn't include giving up you fortnight holiday in the Bahamas every year or your Audi. Of course you are also a member of a country that started the Industrial revolution and so are to blame for everything that has happened to the planet since because your ancestors started it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Beginning every sentence with ‘ so ‘ it seems to have replaced ‘ yeah,no’, another pet hate of mine.

So,yeah,emm Happy Birthday John :giggle:....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

So,yeah,emm Happy Birthday John :giggle:....

Same from me (I've put a msg in the Birthday thread).

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The Museum ran an Anglo American day last Sunday. Centre stage in the compound was a beautiful white 1960 Cadillac El Dorado coupe. Next to it was the latest BMW i8.

Guess which one got the attention? The owner had the hood up showing a beautifully restored and pristine V8.

I noticed the Beemer didn't have the covers off showing the battery pack!

 Having owned several cars with hoods - Morgan, Spridget, MGA, - I fail to understand how having the hood up can show off the engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Next to it was the latest BMW i8.

I'm surprised that anyone even had the nerve to put the thing next to the Caddy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...