This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

I've got a grump

Men burst into flat above me. Beat up the chap who lives there.

He shouts down to me to phone the police

I phone 999

Call handler says it not an emergency as

1. the chap being beaten up has to make the call

2. by the time the police get here the perps will have gone

so I have to phone 101.

30 minutes later PSNI plods arrive. They've been given no info other than to call at the address.

Nice one PSNI. Is it any wonder people here don't trust you any more

I'm off to see the local MLA tomorrow [today] about it

I think you'll find it's the same everywhere in the UK these @Black Knight and it's not new. I lived in Ayrshire about ten years ago. Gang trying to kick down a fellas door across the street from me. The chap had mental health issues (schizophrenia) and I guess he must have upset the thugs. Myself and several other folks in the street phone the police...…. No police arrive. Gang of thugs can't kick the door in so disappear only to return quarter of an hour later with bits of concrete etc. to try to gain access again. Folks all phone the police including myself. Finally twenty minutes later a tiny wee police woman turns up. The gang by this time have taken themselves down to the end of the street and are standing around plotting their next move. I point them out to said policewoman and she looks at me straight in the eye and says "I can't see them", jumps in car and disappears. I kid you not this is exactly what happened. Fortunately the thugs lost interest as they were unable to break down the chaps door or it might have become ugly as well as disgusting. 

7 hours ago, Beardie said:

...............Finally twenty minutes later a tiny wee police woman turns up. The gang by this time have taken themselves down to the end of the street..................... 

I point them out to said policewoman and she looks at me straight in the eye and says "I can't see them", jumps in car and disappears................

To play 'devils advocate'.......... I'll ask one question, with the caviate that your 6'+, 16 Stone, trained in unarmed combat and very hale and hearty,

not a teeny tiny female officer. If you were on your own at daft O'Clock how would you have handled the situation?

By marching up to them and stating "Your nicked, ALL of you!"? because the next call would be to the Fire Brigade to come and hose down the remains.

The foregoing happened to a previous boss of mine, twelve years on the force, Dog handler, as he said, self preservation kicked in.

No politics, just statements of fact, 20,000 officers off the beat / gone in a decade, stations sold, no Police houses, the Police are now doing the impossible with nowt.

Addendum. Never been in the force, closest I've been was my Mum's Brother-in Law was a 'Red Cap' in the Middle East during W.W.II.

I know a few currently serving officers, and a mate from school was invalided out 100% disabled from injuries received while on duty.

For his pains he spent six months in ICU, where he RE learned how to wash, dress, feed etc. etc. Mind you, he writes better with his left hand than he EVER did with his right!

The other side of the coin, just sayin......

Paul

Whilst I sympathise with Black Knight and Beardie, I can also see where Paul is coming from (that's just the Libran in me). My great niece joined the Met a couple of years ago when she was 24. It's something that she'd always wanted to do. After training, she was put in a station in the East End. My brother (her Granddad) was terrified of what might happen to her as she is no more than about 5 feet 3 inches and weighs about 8 stone soaking wet. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, the Met had to let her go as she was not doing well in her studies. Turned out that she suffers from dislexia. Who'd have thought that would be a blessing.

John.

@PhoenixII I wasn't criticising the abilities of the one teeny tiny police officer (For all I know she could have been an ace martial artist) or, to be honest, her reaction. The point was that, despite being informed of what was going on 'gang of thugs trying to break down someone's door' she was sent out on her own after three rounds of calls for Police intervention. I think our police force is desperately under manned and has been for a very long time. I don't blame the officers at all for the situation that is, and has been, their lot for too many years.

Reminds me of the joke;

A bloke rings the police up and reports that someone is breaking into his house. The police respond that they don't have any units available at the moment to respond, so best he lock the doors and barricade himself in  a room. He hangs up and rings back a moment later and says not to bother coming out, he shot the bloke trying to break in dead. Two minutes later, 4 police cars, a tactical weapons squad and ambulance turn up and catch the home intruder in the act. A police officer says to the man, hey, I thought you said you shot him dead. The man says; yeh and I thought you said you had no one available to respond....

Also, this is why British cops need guns. Glock is a great equalizer. 

53 minutes ago, Brad said:

All PSNI officers are armed. A Glock afaik. Although a few use a Ruger

Although weapons are limited in British LE

4 hours ago, Beardie said:

..........I wasn't criticising the abilities of the one teeny tiny police officer (For all I know she could have been an ace martial artist) or, to be honest, her reaction. The point was that, despite being informed of what was going on 'gang of thugs trying to break down someone's door' she was sent out on her own after three rounds of calls for Police intervention. I think our police force is desperately under manned and has been for a very long time. I don't blame the officers at all for the situation that is, and has been, their lot for too many years.

Didn't think you were @Beardie, truth be told we are all far more critical these days. If there's blame to be placed, it's got to be with the call handler(s), multiple calls about one address? Don't / can't they talk to each other?

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Brad, when asked about being armed the majority of officers said they didn't want to carry, end of.

Firearms teams (all volunteers) are 'on call' (STOP laughing at the back!) but should there be a weapon discharged, poor devils are put through hoops, even if it only results in a wounding. However, so far, two? forces are issuing tazers to ALL officers.

Personally I say bring back the stocks and loads of rotten tomatoes or the Birch! (You have to be of a certain age!)

Paul

13 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Personally I say bring back the stocks and loads of rotten tomatoes or the Birch! (You have to be of a certain age!)

Spot on and get rid of all the luxuries in cells

It is rather incredible when you compare minimum standards allowed for prisons and compare them with the standards in many care homes and the folks in the care homes have to pay for their often dismal digs.

11 minutes ago, Beardie said:

It is rather incredible when you compare minimum standards allowed for prisons and compare them with the standards in many care homes and the folks in the care homes have to pay for their often dismal digs.

Aye.

Prison:- Hot shower seven days a week, free TV, doctor on call, medication when required, Oh and three hot meals a day, FREE, 'cos the tax payer picks up the bill.

(SOME) Residential / Care homes:- Shower twice weekly (if their lucky), pay for your TV licence, try to make a doctors appointment for this decade and (often) your meals will be cold and all for JUST £2000 a month (cost can vary)

On 9/5/2019 at 12:32 AM, Black Knight said:

I've got a grump

Men burst into flat above me. Beat up the chap who lives there.

He shouts down to me to phone the police

I phone 999

Call handler says it not an emergency as

1. the chap being beaten up has to make the call

2. by the time the police get here the perps will have gone

so I have to phone 101.

30 minutes later PSNI plods arrive. They've been given no info other than to call at the address.

Nice one PSNI. Is it any wonder people here don't trust you any more

I'm off to see the local MLA tomorrow [today] about it

I would like to reassure everybody that what's described above is absolutely not in accordance with police policy.  Anyone who believes that violence is being used or that a crime is in progress should immediately call 999.

Clear guidance on when to call police 999 is given here https://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us/999 all other UK police forces will be the same.

If the facts are as you described the they certainly justify a formal complaint to the PSNI.

Just remember @3DStewart you have policies, written rules and then you have REAL life, and never the twain shall meet.

Paul

3 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Just remember @3DStewart you have policies, written rules and then you have REAL life, and never the twain shall meet.

Paul

I think that's a cynical and defeatist attitude which is untrue and also maligns those who work hard, including risking their lives, to protect you.  I can assure you where I work policy and practice in this matter is entirely aligned.

Edited by 3DStewart

2 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

I think that's a cynical and defeatist attitude which is untrue and also maligns those who work hard, including risking their lives, to protect you.  I can assure you where I work policy and practice in this matter is entirely aligned.

Stewart,

you can think what you like, because men and women over the decades have given their lives for you to have that right, including the Police, ARP, and service personnel.

Where is the cynicism? or defeatism? Why is it 'untrue'? I can see, I know of the reductions in serving officers, of the work the Police have done in the past but has now gone out to tender and is being done by Civ's. (Appologies to any retired officers who went back into a civilian post, I know the phrase is hated by all of you.)

The school mate I refered to was on Staffordshire Force, actually, he still is, last time I spoke with him, he was the most senior civilian within the county force.

I've dealt with H/Q and stations in Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Cleveland and North Yorkshire, surely your not intimating they are ALL wrong, defeatest and cynical?

Quote:- "where I work policy and practice in this matter is entirely aligned." Just wondering why you picked on the Suffolk Force when you work under either Staffordshire, West Midlands or Shropshire?

Suggest you RE read my post #403

Without being specific, I can confirm the Suffolk force have nothing to write home about. It's not the front line guys, who do their best, it's the 'higher ups.

My late father was a Beat Sergeant, and he wouldn't let me join up at 18. I could tell stories that would make your jaw drop.

5 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Stewart,

you can think what you like, because men and women over the decades have given their lives for you to have that right, including the Police, ARP, and service personnel.

Really? No one has had to die to give me the right to think what I like!

Post #403 doesn't seem to relate to the point I made, perhaps we are talking at cross-purposes?  I was taking issue with your suggestion that our natural assumption should be that there is a huge gap between what is supposed to happen and what actually happens and that by implication the police cannot be trusted to respond appropriately or intelligently to requests for help.  That's simply not true.  Occasionally they make mistakes, but in my experience policy relating to the handling of emergencies is closely followed, the police do know what they are doing and people can be confident that in a real emergency the police will respond quickly, professionally and sometimes at risk to themselves, both physically and mentally.

As far as #401 is concerned the claimed response is so bizarre, so far from common sense and so far from policy that it does make we wonder if it happened at all, or has been incompletely reported.

I'm interested in your friend who worked at Staffordshire Police. I worked there 2012-2016 at Weston Road, so maybe our paths crossed?

I linked to Suffolk Police's website simply because it was the first in Google's search list. But every other force I later looked at said the same thing, albeit in different words.

Edited by 3DStewart

@3DStewart Possible.

Doubt if you'd know him, though by reputation?!! He signed up as soon as it was possible, it was back in 1973. Trained and worked out of Stafford, it wasn't possible to work in your home town back then. Motorcycle officer. Last I heard he was back on long-term sick. Possible he's now retired? 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:20 AM, Brad said:

A lot of peole think that, but the realities are different.

Simply giving a woodentop a firearm is of no use whatsoever, unless they are properly trained to use it, and not the 1-day course "you're now qualified" approach.

Then on top of that there has to be a minimum amount of proficiency training... One live shoot per year is not unheard of, which means a skill set degrades, leaving the operator in a worse position.

Having worked alongside, and competed against our plod, the un-armed approach is far safer for the public. If a regular cop says "stand still, or I'll shoot" do just that - they have no chance of hitting you!

I’ve got a grump.......

OUR LOCAL GARDEN CENTRE IS SELLING CHRISTMAS THEMED STUFF WHERE THE BBQ EQUIPMENT WAS LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

The grump i've got is all the garden centre's over here sell garden stuff,low maintenance concrete is the way to go....

Signed,

Anone Gardener...

We have two separate Bunnings stores in the same postcode, West and North. And getting some stock that holds up solar lights only goes on sale in October through to new year.

I'm not a complainer by nature - I'm generally a pretty happy-go-lucky kinda guy - but...

...I have learned to hate newspaper websites - they all take forever to load and rarely cover the item properly that they lured you in to view.

OK - Rant over :)