This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

As I now spend my days driving a delivery van around the highways of Cornwall I have amassed another set of grumps, but of them all the one that annoys me most is drivers who cannot be bothered to acknowledge when you stop and wait for them to come through a narrowing or around a parked car. I have to say that younger female drivers are the worst for this, but it is rude and discourteous whatever age or gender.

1 minute ago, Truro Model Builder said:

drivers who cannot be bothered to acknowledge when you stop and wait for them to come through a narrowing or around a parked car

Agreed. I even acknowledge other drivers when it’s my right of way!

Over here it's the opposite,everyone waves if you let them out but there's quite a few that would rather take the front of your car off than stop....

12 hours ago, Beardie said:

I have to admit I actually prefer my water etc. without the 'fizz'. I am sure Soda Stream will come up with a new machine that turns tap water into bottled water soon and folks will buy it. We're doomed I tell's ye! Doomed!!! 

I hate CocaCola, Pepsi Cola, Fanta, Seven Up, Lager et al. (especially Perrier Water). In fact, anything with a fizz in it. Give me GreeneKing IPA any day.

John.

Well today, just a short while ago, I developed another grump. One day this week I was away from home in the morning as I had to take the missus for a hospital treatment. My local postie who was born in the village and is a real good guy is off on holiday. Left a big bold, signed, message stuck on my door for the Postman instructing him to leave a parcel I was expecting in a lock box behind my garden gate(my safe place). My local postie told me this was the thing to do or else request that items be dropped off at the village post office. I get home to find a card through my letterbox telling me that, as the parcel was too big for the letterbox he had taken it back, thirty miles away to Dunoon where I could either go to collect it or arrange for him to bring it back in two days. I hate it when the good guys are off on holiday and the eejits are sent to fill in for them!

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

As I now spend my days driving a delivery van around the highways of Cornwall I have amassed another set of grumps, but of them all the one that annoys me most is drivers who cannot be bothered to acknowledge when you stop and wait for them to come through a narrowing or around a parked car. I have to say that younger female drivers are the worst for this, but it is rude and discourteous whatever age or gender.

They can't steer, wave, and text at the same time. Something has to give.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

They can't steer, wave, and text at the same time. Something has to give.

Today in town there was a police presence at every major intersection with Police in hi-vis with Ipads  observing motorists at traffic lights doing I know not. Some coppers peered into the drivers and took notes. On the road out of town there were a RBT unit doing checks and taking notes as well. Someone's going to get a letter I'll bet.

Good to see them policing road rules. As a pedestrian myself I find that an awful lot of drivers multitask badly when driving whilst going round corners at red stop lights and do even worse on roundabouts and stop/give way intersections here in town.

Edited by Mick4350

15 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

The only thing i drink with fizz's Grolsch and Strongbow.....

Vince, how VERY dare you mention the 'S' word.........for your own sake get a proper Cider!

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Ahh, I see, yearning for the shop to keep the emmits at arms length! :wicked:

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Vince, how VERY dare you mention the 'S' word.........for your own sake get a proper Cider!

Ah, you must mean Woodpecker......

The local community in Jaywick were devastated. Previously they were just paralytic.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Oh @Max Headroom you have committed one of my pet hates...…. Lightening! I see that more and more all over the place. Lightening to me is the act of becoming lighter or, according to the dictionary - a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis, Lightning is the flash of light created during a massive discharge of atmospheric energy. Don't know why that bothers me so much but I think it's to do with the English Electric Light-ning sounding much more sharp that the English Electric light-en-ing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

sounding much more sharp that the English Electric light-en-ing.

Shouldn't that be than - one of my pet hates - like of instead of have... but I agree with you, lightening is to make less heavy whereas Lightning is Frightning :winkgrin:

My apologies Ratch, I typed without paying enough attention although I do sometimes wonder if all the errors are indeed committed by me or some malicious twist in Microsoft software. I have actually seen words change before my very eyes from what I wanted to type to a different, incorrect or American, spelling or even slightly different word. I suspect that they are trying to make me lose my mind. Well I have news for them! They're too late! :banghead:

7 hours ago, Beardie said:

Oh @Max Headroom you have committed one of my pet hates...…. Lightening! 

:penguin:

(an in-joke on The Four Word Story thread)

8 hours ago, Beardie said:

Lightening to me is the act of becoming lighter or,

Quite right Marty. It's something that I do every morning. Sometimes, I'm as much as half a pound lighter, depending on the curry that I had the night before.

John.

So instead of "fox 2" we can expect to hear RAF  pilots saying " lightening the Lightning"  ....  :)

It's happening again. BBC news this morning, and this is not political. Because of the current story (has it only been three years?) they set up outside Parliament  and who comes along with his megaphone, but Joe Muppet, drowning out all conversation. Have these numpties at the Beeb never heard of a studio. Dan Walker even made a comment that people had been complaining about it, but as is usual with Aunties hierarchy, they were completely ignored. Ye gods, give me strength! I'm glad that I don't pay for a license.

John.

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

I think the reason they do it is it's easier to interview the MP's.....

You're probably right, but why can't they do it from inside the building, as they do on numerous occasions, away from the baying mob?

11 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

You're probably right, but why can't they do it from inside the building, as they do on numerous occasions, away from the baying mob?

Good point,i hadn't thought of  actually inside the place...

I've noticed that when I drive my mums car, which is a fairly new Toyota Corolla, people are seriously aggressive around me. Tailgating, cutting me off, road raging if I'm not going fast enough for them, not giving way in zipper merge situations etc. However, when I'm in my car, which is an older Holden Commodore, I barely get road raged and almost all aggressive driving around me stops. My theory is that people will be more aggresive around a new car because they think they can bully the driver because they don't want their new car damaged, where if you tried to bully me in my '92 Commodore, I probably won't give a rats behind if I scratch your bumper bar or dent your door on the $50,000 Jeep you are driving.

Edited by Brad

18 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's happening again. BBC news this morning, and this is not political. Because of the current story (has it only been three years?) they set up outside Parliament  and who comes along with his megaphone, but Joe Muppet, drowning out all conversation. Have these numpties at the Beeb never heard of a studio. Dan Walker even made a comment that people had been complaining about it, but as is usual with Aunties hierarchy, they were completely ignored. Ye gods, give me strength! I'm glad that I don't pay for a license.

John.

Its not just the Beeb. The fact that 'News' on TV is just entertainment and misinformation, while TV itself is just a vehicle for the advertising industry, ensures falling standards - accelerated by the pre-occupation with American-style everything.

I gave up on TV news a long time ago, in fact I pretty much give all so-called news outlets a wide berth. The need to have two people to handle the simple task of reading a few very short sentences from an Autocue while picking up an obscene salary is in itself some measure of the value of this performance. Then they have to have a further person, complete with sound man and other hangers on, go to some location where they stand in the middle of a noisy mob/darkness/pouring rain/howling gale/etc, just to tell you that what you cant see/hear is somewhere near to the site where something reportedly may have happened some hours ago. 

Edited by Kiwidave4

On 9/3/2019 at 7:13 AM, Brad said:

However, when I'm in my car, which is an older Holden Commodore, I barely get road raged and almost all aggressive driving around me stops. 

I used to own a Falcon panel van with full bullbars.

The amount of leeway I encountered when I had that was surprising. Not un-surprisingly it could inflict a bit of panel damage when required of it...:wicked:

19 minutes ago, hairystick said:

I used to own a Falcon panel van with full bullbars.

The amount of leeway I encountered when I had that was surprising. Not un-surprisingly it could inflict a bit of panel damage when required of it...:wicked:

Same story here, except the old driver was a 4WD HiLux with steel bullbar and steel tray, and it looked like the bad guys from Mad Max had given up on it as too worn out (I miss my old Battletruck). Even in Brisbane traffic, no-one ever came close to touching it; it made merging traffic a breeze. :D

My new WRX... it was run into 3 times by other people, all of them in the first 2 years. Now that it's old, no-one comes near again, but dang...