Heinkel 70 civil, Matchbox/Revell old build

And found yet another one (no, I don't have replicator technology like Martian Hale, it's all hard labor).

This is from 13 years ago too, and the only purpose of posting it now is because it offers a good comparison to the much better ICM kit that I posted here before:

As you all well know, this is the ex-Matchbox kit re-issued by Revell, now without the colorful sprues that are the delight of modelers of all ages. Plenty of reviews since this is an old mold are already around, so I'll keep it brief. Grey sprues, light, almost faint raised panel lines, chunky molding, some interior, very good decal sheet that caters for the three versions offered, one being civilian, which I personally applaud. I definitely would like more civilian options around. The decal sheet is somewhat cluttered, the more than sixty subjects for the three versions being scattered around. So, get a good pair of scissors and some sight help.

The instructions are matter of interpretation. In my first try, what was on my workbench after following the instructions was a tramway, in the second try I managed to build a bridge, but finally I got it right. The landing gear, though, is still something that puzzles me.

Some shuffling around with the versions is apparent in the instructions, so check your references. If they are like mine, they will contradict each other, leaving us again in the happy limbo of uncertainty, which is just the prelude of creativity.

My only minor contribution was to score the hinge line and deflect the elevators a little bit downwards. I used with the canopy framing the usual sprayed decal paper cut in tiny stripes, this time helped also by the use of a "Pilot" silver metallic marker to deal with all the external frame. It worked well, with no risk of spilling. I discarded all the other transparencies in favor of the later use of Testor's window maker. After a copious application of filler almost everywhere (the fuselage-wing joint being wider than the Grand Canyon) y sanded the model and applied, directly, a spray-can black paint formulated for plastic. After masking the nose y proceeded to apply the metal tones, in three different hues. Handle the decals with care, and you may consider to separate some of the larger subjects (fuselage sides, wing letters) in more manageable pieces. You will have to cut out, once the decals are dry, the window sections, which are part of the carrier film. Some setting solution is needed also to help some of them to conform to the surface (walk sections on the wing root and the nose area).

Pay attention to the instructions regarding the small area that should be painted (a diagram for a mask is provided) to offer a backing color to the front of the "arrow" decal -which is transparent- in the civil version.

Again the magic of the 30's available for us thanks this time to Revell, at a very convenient price.

33753416948_1c1f1fd80e_c.jpg

33753416918_ccef894095_c.jpg

46715173105_300dbd2193_c.jpg

• Like 35

2 hours ago, djos said:

PERFECT! 

And this is one of the reasons it's not quite:

If the fuselage indeed was metal, the wing wasn't, it was covered in plywood, therefore the "paneling" on the fuselage is right, but not on the wing.

At the time I made this one, research consisted of a few minutes with the search engine.

Lessons learned.

The wing could be lightly sanded, repainted and re-decaled...in some future incarnation.

Cheers

• Like 1

I tried the new one, a reboxing of ICM's kit. Can't recommend that one.... Not at all... She ended up as a crashed diorama (still working on it slowly as a side project). Might try this kit instead.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I tried the new one, a reboxing of ICM's kit. Can't recommend that one.... Not at all... She ended up as a crashed diorama (still working on it slowly as a side project). Might try this kit instead.

I was delighted with the ICM kit (that yes, requires much labor). The level of surface detail is among the best I have seen.

Here is the link again to the build:

Perhaps I should post the old WiP, to offer an idea to other modelers.

Cheers