This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jonners

Contrail 1/72 Vickers Vildebeest vacform

Hmm let me speak on behalf of your modelling conscience, Let me try to put this diplomatically (I know of the concept, just find it hard to do) The interior etc are works of art, the wings and fuselage, notwithstanding the sweepback (which we've put behind us so to speak)  are too, but  your going to need a lot of vaseline on the camera lens to get those undercarriage legs on the  model to look like the original...... I'm no rivet counter, but if it were me I'd be fabricating struts now.

Just been catching up - lots of real progress since I last dropped by. The wing sweepback problm will disappear when the top wing is in place I am sure. As for the undercarriage legs, I tend to agree with Marklo - and would be fabricating new struts. Just an opinion but I hope it helps.

P

On 6/27/2019 at 11:18 AM, Marklo said:

Hmm let me speak on behalf of your modelling conscience, Let me try to put this diplomatically (I know of the concept, just find it hard to do) The interior etc are works of art, the wings and fuselage, notwithstanding the sweepback (which we've put behind us so to speak)  are too, but  your going to need a lot of vaseline on the camera lens to get those undercarriage legs on the  model to look like the original...... I'm no rivet counter, but if it were me I'd be fabricating struts now.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:14 PM, pheonix said:

Just been catching up - lots of real progress since I last dropped by. The wing sweepback problm will disappear when the top wing is in place I am sure. As for the undercarriage legs, I tend to agree with Marklo - and would be fabricating new struts. Just an opinion but I hope it helps.

P

Thanks for the advice chaps; I appreciate your candour. I've been thinking exactly the same thing myself. Of course, it would have been better to think it before cutting slots in the spats and grafting the dodgy legs onto them with superglue! I think that I'll be doing some deconstructive surgery at the next sitting.  Ho hum.

I might be able to file the metal legs to a more accurate shape (ie shorter shock absorber sections and a narrower lower part), which would keep the strength. Failing that plastic cladding round a stiff wire core might do the trick. Either way, I'll have some repairs to do on the spats, but it will give a more accurate (and hopefully pleasing) result. 

Okay, committed:

20190629_174808

"I must try harder next time. I must try harder next time. I must..." etc

Attempt No1 to undo my undercarriage gashness is in its early stages: fettling the white metal strut to better represent the original item. Kit part on the left, modified part in mid-fettle on the right:

20190630_180550

I wish I'd made the effort the first time round!

Jon

Here's where I'm going with this at the moment (all parts dry-fitted and fettling still in progress):

The metal main strut has been reshaped and slotted into a fairing fashioned from a piece of sprue:

20190702_112822

A second fairing was made from a piece of tube and a cocktail stick, trimmed and sanded to an aerodynamic section, slotted into it to represent the rear strut (which needs to taper more at the spat end):

20190702_113535

Another sanded cocktail stick slots into a hole drilled in the spat wall to represent the inboard strut:

20190702_114456

It looks like it will work, but accurately measuring the correct lengths for the cocktail stick struts will be critical. More fettling required, then if it works I'll have to make the other side match!  I certainly think that it looks better than the kit part as supplied.

Jon

It's been over three weeks since I last indulged in any modelling, as other things have taken priority, and the Vildebeest has been glaring accusingly at me from the desk for the whole time. I've just got round to putting the various bits together to make the starboard carriage assembly:

20190726_090316

20190726_090356

20190726_090228

My rate of progress is abysmal - I think that I have a Desk of Doom - but now that I know this method works, and I have the strut measurements, the other leg should be fairly straightforward.

Jon

14 hours ago, Jonners said:

The 'beest finally stands on its own two (out of three) feet:

...and what big feet they are!

Stuart

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

...and what big feet they are!

Stuart

The teeth didn't match, so I hear.....

Ian