1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster

I have the outboard engines sanded and the inboard engines built. I had a slight problem with the left landing gear.

I clipped it off the sprue and both axles broke off, found them in the carpet luckily. The plastic seems very brittle. I

glued them back on the gear leg and have my fingers crossed.---John

wfnzLnM.jpg

• Like 3

That's what I am afraid of Chris. I'll put that wheel on the left gear leg and when I set it down the wheel will

go flying off with the 2 axles attached to the wheel! Still crossing my fingers, here's the wheels.---John

TlQdCDk.jpg

• Like 4

I put the wheels on. The left leg immediately broke apart and I had to glue the axles to the wheel then the axle-wheel unit

to the leg, left leg only. The right unit went together with no fuss. The plastic softened up with all the glue so I am hoping

that the axles "welded" themselves nicely to the leg. After welding for 42 years I know that's not what happens but one can

hope! The repaired left leg is in the foreground.---John

ucGHqc2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The left landing gear broke again. I am thinking maybe 5 minute epoxy or totally replace the original

landing gear which were broken before assembly. I don't have mini drills and the technology to pin it

so It's glue or replace.---John

5fe99uB.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 4 months later...

I gave up trying to find a replacement gear leg so I busted off the ones already installed

and glued on the gear doors for an in flight model. I have the holes started where the stand

will locate. I just need to make a slot 1 mm by 4.5 mm out of them.---John

v9FpefQ.jpg

0aDOfcY.jpg

• Like 2

I repainted the upkeep mine to red oxide, Tamiya TS-33. The decals arrived from E Bay seller

today. I need to gloss cote then I will decal as T for Tommy.---John

EbmP0ET.jpg

08gkxCu.jpg

• Like 2

Almost done with decals. The fuselage sides and top is pretty much done, just need to

flip it over and do the bottom. Then rig antenna wires, fix props and add to stand. The

problem being the instructions say to use stand AF1007. It is sold separately but I can't

find it at the Airfix site. The other stand is AF1006 but I dont think it has the tab for the

1mm by 4.5mm slot I cut. Where can I find stand AF1007? Anyone know?---John

l01kCqN.jpg

IHYHMPB.jpg

• Like 3

All the parts are on and it has been dull coted. I have obtained a stand from a member across the pond. Once that arrives I

can rig the antenna wires and set it on it's stand.---John

UCkIics.jpg

j9fXPUG.jpg

• Like 5

That’s turned out lovely, with two of these old mould kits in the WIP section at the moment, it brings back how good the old kit was. The only issue I can see is the canopy looking a little flat but the shape of the aircraft and rivets look spot on. Lovely paint job too :)