1/72 Airfix Avro Lancaster

Here's my older mold nostalgia build. I am someday looking at the REALLY old Revell kit from

1963. This kit was an E Bay win complete with moldy box and sad decals. I want to do T for Tommy

so I need aftermarket decals anyways. Here's my start.---John

1Bkl944.jpg

bF1xzed.jpg

w7qoVvE.jpg

FGUzeBV.jpg

• Like 4

Fixing the Upkeep mine. Plenty of Tamiya putty, let it set overnight and sand with grits from 150 to 1000.

It's now nice and smooth. The fuselage in the backround is NOT assembled. I was test fitting and taping to

check bomb bay fit.

---John

hPahQZ6.jpg

DHdXUIU.jpg

• Like 3

I still consider the older Airfix 08002/3/5 to be the best accurate shaped Lancaster ever produced.

Needs a little tweak here and there but its hard to beat.

The new / latest from Airfix may have more internals  but many consider it to be 'over-engineered'  . . . .  

Keep up the good work John

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have the fuselage glued up and taped to set up. I also puttied and sanded the upkeep mine for the 4th time, it's

looking good. I opened the holes in the fuselage so the turrets drop in, I will glue them in. I want to leave them off

until after paint and decaling as not to snap the gun barrels. The turrets are all set to go.---John

CeKuTim.jpg

VEvvENO.jpg

lfmwT6p.jpg

9V3JusJ.jpg

• Like 6

Another technical question. On the wings there are about 7 or 8 "nubs" along the leading edge. I believe these don't get

sanded off. Are these the cable cutters? They can be seen in the first image, just before the first engine mount and in the

second image one before and one after the engine mount. How many are there suppose to be?---John

UvRa7PF.jpg

yR8oD92.jpg

6 hours ago, Johnv said:

Are these the cable cutters?

Yes. Check whether the aircraft you're modelling has them. If it does it may be easier to make a note of their location, remove them whilst sanding the joint smooth and replace then with small squares of plastic card once the joints are sorted.

4 hours ago, isaneng said:

If you go to The Spadgent 1/48 build, there are pics etc there. There are 5 each side, 2 between fueselage and inboard engine, 2 between the engines on each side, 1 outside the outboard engine. 

In the drawing I posted above, it shows 8 per wing. Four inboard, 2 between and 2 outboard.

Chris

Dogsbody,

my mistake, I forgot that there were 2 sets on the inbd wing around the air vent, making 7. The BBMF lanc only has one on the outer wing, just outboard of the outboard engine. Logical I suppose - stops a cable fouling the engine, but if the cable goes the other way, it just slides off the end of the wing. I wonder if it's because ours is a late production model ('45), so has a different modification state. 

Thanks. I looked at the sprue shot for the new mold Airfix Lancaster and saw the 8 cutters. More wing work, I added the outboard

engines and puttied them up.---John

1KDCZmo.jpg

• Like 3