B-43-0 & B-43-1 Nuclear Weapons w/SC43-4/-7 Tail Assembly (648447 & 648448) 1:48

B-43-0 & B-43-1 Nuclear Weapons w/SC43-4/-7 Tail Assembly (648447 & 648448)

1:48 Eduard Brassin

boxtop.jpg

The B-43 was an early unguided air-dropped nuclear bomb used from 1961, reducing down from the mid 60s until the final withdrawal in the early 90s.  Following the initial design, improvements were made in the -1 and later dash two to allow for different explosive yields to be carried and various fuses and deployment options.  It was never used in anger (thankfully), but was carried by numerous US and some NATO airframes during the period. 

As usual with Eduard's larger resin sets, they arrive in the oblong Brassin box, with the resin parts safely cocooned on dark grey foam inserts, and the instructions wrapped around, providing extra protection.  There are twenty resin parts, a sheet of Photo-Etch (PE) brass and decal sheet, with enough parts to construct two weapons.

The construction steps are identical between the sets apart from the shape of the nose cone, which is more pointed for the -1 weapon, and the decal sheets.  The body has a shaped depression in the front, which the nose cone slots into, then at the rear a small strip of PE is wrapped around the circumference, then the four tail fins are slotted into their depressions, while the small lugs fore and aft are fitted, taking care to align them correctly as per the scrap diagram.  Painting and decaling is covered on one diagram, with the body painted either grey or white and various stencils applied along the sides.  Colour codes are called out in their usual choice of Gunze Sangyo paints.

B-43-0 Nuclear Weapon w/SC43-4/-7 tail assembly

648447.jpg

bin.jpg

B-43-1 Nuclear Weapon w/SC43-4/-7 tail assembly

648448.jpg

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

I did purchase both sets with the different tail series and am setting them off to the side for a nuclear load training diorama using an F-4D Phantom. In my 22 years with the USAF I've loaded the B-28's and B-61'a on B-52D's, B-43's, B-57's and B-61's on F-4D, and finally AGM-69's, B-61's, B-57's on the F/FB-111's. So I'm happy these weapons are starting to be reproduced for modelling.

My other wish is for companies to reproduce all the munition handling trailers that were or are still in use.

Ron VanDerwarker

21 hours ago, f111guru said:

My other wish is for companies to reproduce all the munition handling trailers that were or are still in use.

Ron VanDerwarker

Ron,

Check out Video Aviation they are your best bet for ground equipment.

http://www.videoaviation.com/ground-support/

Julien

Thank you for the info. I'll look into that site also. I've made MHU-85/M trailers in 1/32nd scale because I cast wheel ans tire assembles from an old Monogram 2 1/2 ton army truck kit. Thanks again

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1