What kind of Yak-9 is this?

28ZComeback

In the last 20 seconds of this video, taken in North Korea, 1948, a Russian pilot straps into a Yak-9. It looks like a Yak-9D to me, but could it be a “T” or “DD”? Thank you in advance. 

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675068277_Russian-troops_Russian-officers-speak_receive-gifts-from-people_aviators-hold-children

Yes Kates. I thought they might be Su-2’s but then thought otherwise. Probably some leftover film the North Koreans inherited from the IJN in 1945.  I also think the notes are wrong-I do not see Yak-3’s. Thank you Graham! 

Edited by 28ZComeback

They look like Su-2s to me. Kate had more wing dihedral than that .  the Yak taking off looks like a Yak-9V . The first Yak does look like either a Yak-9M, D or something along those lines, definitely not a Yak-3.

• Thanks 1

Ok, I'd go with Su2s.  I still think that the good views are not a 9M because of the cockpit position.

Kate's were unlikely to be left as NK was primarily an Army concern, but Su2s must be equally unlikely.  Oddment of film seems likelier. It may be possible that Soviet training schools still had some Su2s and waste not want not...interesting to find out.

19 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Ok, I'd go with Su2s.  I still think that the good views are not a 9M because of the cockpit position.

Kate's were unlikely to be left as NK was primarily an Army concern, but Su2s must be equally unlikely.  Oddment of film seems likelier. It may be possible that Soviet training schools still had some Su2s and waste not want not...interesting to find out.

You are right! That is NOT a Yak- 9M. I don't know what I was thinking.:drunk:

• Thanks 1

This is bizzare, but the "kates" really looks like Su-2!

Here is similar front-bottom take:

https://st3.depositphotos.com/5632578/15791/i/1600/depositphotos_157913772-stock-photo-the-girl-is-standing-near.jpg

I have not heard about use of Su-2 outside Soviet Union so far. In 1945 it was rather obsolate, anyway.

Cheers

J-W

7 minutes ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

The Yaks are Yak-9M, rearward cockpit version. then  there is a twoseater Yak-9, then flying Su-2s with the ww2 camouflage. In my opinion, nothing to do with Korea, they were inventory images.

Regards

Massimo

Absolutely right - single-seater Yaks are "rear canopy/small cannon" variant, so either -9M or -9DD (the radio mast is slanted forward). Taking-off is Yak-9V and the group of radial-engined light bombers are Su-2s.

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1

The one in the film is definitely a 9T but Korea used the 9T mostly after that. From what I recall, the Korean aircraft were painted Gray.

Faintly visible at about 01:44, I thought, but now I'm not so sure - could be just background clutter. I'm sorry - my mistake!

John

Edited by John Thompson