Islanders based at Northolt

ted angus

Ted,

Firstly, you realise that they don't actually exist...😉...... Well, at least they don't now as they've been replaced by a pair of Piper Navajos.  Anyway on a more serious note (personally) I would go for BS626 Camouflage Grey. In the Xtracolour range as X17. But with a matt varnish.

Edited by keithjs

29 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

I’d say darker than Camouflage grey, I’d go Medium Sea Grey

You may be right, but is MSG still in the current BS range?  Plus there's also Dark Camo grey BS629,  X36 in the Xtracolor range.

23 minutes ago, keithjs said:

You may be right, but is MSG still in the current BS range?  Plus there's also Dark Camo grey BS629,  X36 in the Xtracolor range.

Yes, the Tornado Gr4s were in that scheme, as are the Navy's Merlins amongst others

Edited by Dave Fleming

On 4/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, keithjs said:

Ted,

Firstly, you realise that they don't actually exist...😉...... Well, at least they don't now as they've been replaced by a pair of Piper Navajos. 

I thought that No.5 Squadron had taken over their duties with their Shadow R.1s.

4 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I thought that No.5 Squadron had taken over their duties with their Shadow R.1s.

No, the Shadow’s role is believed to be similar to the overland surveillance, command and control role the Nimrod did on operations. (They are now operated by 14 Squadron). The Northolt Station Flight Aircraft were always domestic rolled (and probably only nominally RAF, lots of evidence they were operated for MI5/GCHQ)

Islander AL1 ZG993 has recently gone on display at the Army Flying Museum, Middle Wallop. There you can learn about the aircraft’s roles of liaison, photo recce, and Signals Intelligence gathering. You can also get close enough to see that it is painted in TWO shades of grey.

17 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

No, the Shadow’s role is believed to be similar to the overland surveillance, command and control role the Nimrod did on operations. (They are now operated by 14 Squadron). The Northolt Station Flight Aircraft were always domestic rolled (and probably only nominally RAF, lots of evidence they were operated for MI5/GCHQ)

Thanks, Dave. I'd quite forgotten that the Shadow flight had been spun off and raised to squadron status. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shadow does have a secondary domestic role, however. Occasionally one will appear on ADS-B flight tracking websites undertaking a circular flight pattern somewhere over the UK for a couple of hours. Presumably they are doing something Secret Squirrel -either that or the rudder has become jammed.