Airfix 1/144 BA 747 engines?

DMC

Are they even close to RRs?  Apparently, most of the kit is ‘pants’ but I was wondering if the engines can be salvaged with a little tweaking.

Thanks for your interest.

Dennis

No. The only practical way to get RR engines for a 1/144 747 Classic is to buy the BraZ ones. The Airfix engines purport to represent PWs which are a completely different shape from RRs and if I remember correctly they have some weird depiction of partially deployed thrust reversers. They are junk like the rest of the kit.

These photos show the difference between RR and PW engines.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

@Skodadriver, since you didn't mention the Revell BA Boeing 747-400 RR engines I take it that they are no good either? Or am I reading too much into your comment?

The Revell 747-400 RRs are OK for a -400, the earlier RRs for a -200 and -300 model 747s have a shorter rear nacelle, as Dave mentioned the best bet are the Braz engines, I have a set for my QANTAS SP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray has really answered for me. The Revell RR engines are a reasonable representation of the engines fitted to the -400 but these are different from the earlier version fitted to the Classic.

These photo give a good views of the earlier and later versions.

If you are thinking of ordering BraZ engines make sure you buy the correct set. BZ4007 is for the Classic (i.e. early aircraft), BZ4016 is for the -400

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave and Ray.  Thanks for the photos, Dave.  I see the difference now.  Actually, what I was wondering was whether I could salvage the RR engines off of an inexpensive Airfix, or Revell, 747 kit and mate them to an early Revell 747 P&W issue.  However, looking over what’s on offer on the auction site I see there are no bargin 747 kits to be had.  Indeed, a few vendors are asking up to £60 for the Airfix kits.  Who buys them at that price if they are rubbish?

The BraZ engines look very nice but I prefer to work with styrene.  The P&Ws for the 747 kit I’m working on now are coming along very nicely and I should have a couple of photos soon.

Thanks again guys,

Dennis

Dennis, No 1/144 747 kit includes RR engines, Airfix has the 'interesting' P&W JT9s and Revell was released theirs with either P&Ws and a version of the GE CF-6 which is a bit of a hybrid.

I have an Airfix kit on the go and the engines scrub up OK if you can live with solid discs for the exhaust section, I have filled to open Thrust reversers on mine. I have a spare set of Revell P&Ws somewhere which I might dig out and see if I can put them on the Airfix wing. (BTW I picked up my Airfix kit $5 at a kit swap and sell :D )

42902363860_d3997b5def_b.jpg

29775421407_098debbeb7_b.jpg

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Dennis, No 1/144 747 kit includes RR engines, Airfix has the 'interesting' P&W JT9s and Revell was released theirs with either P&Ws and a version of the GE CF-6 which is a bit of a hybrid.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Ray.  Here’s me thinking that at least one 747 kit out there had the RR engines.  Or at least a reasonable facsimile.  As I shy away from resin, nothing for it then but scratch building if I want a set of the early RRs.   No fear!

Nice work on the Airfix kit.  Not completely sure how the reversers work on the JT9 and am wondering if I’ve left something out on mine?

$5!  A steal 

Cheers 

Dennis