1/72 Model Alliance Canberra #72144 - RNZAF decal query?

Rabbit Leader

Just hoping that someone can confirm or deny my observations before I part ways with some hard earned dollars? 

I've seen at least two screen images of this sheet and (IMO) believe both RNZAF Canberra schemes fall a bit short to providing the correct decals for the profiles shown. 

Here's a link to one of them - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML72144

1. Silver Canberra NZ6108 - The large upper wing Silver fern roundels (84") are not included on the decal sheet. Is this correct?

2. Camo Canberra NZ6106 - The sheet includes (incorrect) large white underwing serials, however these would normally be approx. half the size and black. Am I correct here? 

3. 75 Squadron tail motif - Looks like Model Alliance provide the earlier B.2 Canberra tail motif (prior to receiving B(I)12's) and no serials for this scheme? Is this just an extra?

Anyway, there is still enough decals on this sheet to make use of a few items however a complete (and correct) Kiwi Canberra still falls a bit short without resorting to ones personal decal bank. If someone has this sheet, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Thanks Alan @LDSModeller, I've never used Old Models before however this might be just the excuse I need to try them out.

Have you personally had any experiences with these decals yourself? 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Alan @LDSModeller, I've never used Old Models before however this might be just the excuse I need to try them out.

Have you personally had any experiences with these decals yourself? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

I have not that long ago, ordered/purchased these Old Model Decals for a Wellington Mk III 75(NZ) Squadron.

They look really good, have yet to try them, but other modellers, who have used Old Model Decals seemed pleased with them

64791164-69c0-4fcc-a719-40a8b637e7ab.jpg

I plan to buy more if that helps? :D

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Dave, I used some Old Models decals on the RNZAF Mosquito I did  couple of years ago, they were great to use but I felt the codes were too big, so look at the sheet previews & scale off what you know the size of. This page close to the bottom.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
insert missing link.
  • Like 1

Thanks Alan and Steve. Those Welly decals do look quite nice and that’s a good point about codes and sizes.

Now I must admit, I’m a little confused with the roundel and serial sizes of these Kiwi Canberra’s once they transitioned from Silver to Camouflage paint.  I’ve seen photos of camouflaged aircraft with large white rear fuselage serials, however they have small upper wing roundels and not the larger type as shown on the Old Decals (1962-66) sheet? 

Does anyone have photos of Camouflaged RNZAF Canberra’s with large upperwing roundels and large black underwing serials? I’d be most intrigued to see them. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone have photos of Camouflaged RNZAF Canberra’s with large upperwing roundels and large black underwing serials? I’d be most intrigued to see them. 

I've not seen any Dave but I don't claim much expertise in this area, any on line references I've seen show the smaller roundels as modelled by Airfix in their B(I)8/12 kit. btw, I've put the link into my above post, becoming forgetful in my old age. ;)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Alan and Steve. Those Welly decals do look quite nice and that’s a good point about codes and sizes.

Now I must admit, I’m a little confused with the roundel and serial sizes of these Kiwi Canberra’s once they transitioned from Silver to Camouflage paint.  I’ve seen photos of camouflaged aircraft with large white rear fuselage serials, however they have small upper wing roundels and not the larger type as shown on the Old Decals (1962-66) sheet? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

I've found two of the aircraft in question and two examples of the 'norm'? 

bjJMeb.jpg

bjJDNp.jpg

bjJ1bf.jpg

bjJ4C6.jpg

John 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks John @canberra kid, I've collected a number of Kiwi Canberra photographs, however the last of this four is new to me and also shows yet another difference in serial / roundel colour / size combinations. Here we have a (somewhat) chipped camouflaged example with large Black Fuselage serials. From what I've seen this must have been taken sometime after the large white serials and before they were reduced in size to the latter 8 inch size. It also clearly shows small underwing roundels (which I believe match the upper wing) and hints of what appear to be the small underwing serials as well. I might send Old Models and email to see what they might have in the way of these interim camouflaged Canberras. 

Cheers and thanks for your Canberra input (always appreciated).. Dave  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:45 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Many thanks John @canberra kid, I've collected a number of Kiwi Canberra photographs, however the last of this four is new to me and also shows yet another difference in serial / roundel colour / size combinations. Here we have a (somewhat) chipped camouflaged example with large Black Fuselage serials. From what I've seen this must have been taken sometime after the large white serials and before they were reduced in size to the latter 8 inch size. It also clearly shows small underwing roundels (which I believe match the upper wing) and hints of what appear to be the small underwing serials as well. I might send Old Models and email to see what they might have in the way of these interim camouflaged Canberras. 

Cheers and thanks for your Canberra input (always appreciated).. Dave  

No problems Dave, the rather tatty paint work on 06 was due to flying through a hail storm! I've dug out some more photos that may be of interest/use?

blYRuX.jpg

blYMme.jpg

blYnNF.jpg

John

• Thanks 2

While I can comment on this sheet, when looking at some of their sabre sheets which I have the decal and profiles in the book dont actually match the photos in the same book! not exactly stellar.

Also found some of the decals to have no glue on them as well.

Julien

(ps Nice photos in this thread BTW)

• Like 1

Lovely photos John, the middle one in particular is new to me and a real beauty. Now if you can unearth a photo which confirms large white rear fuselage serials and what was (for certain) worn under the wings I’ll buy you a couple of pints of your favourite poison! 

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave

17 minutes ago, Julien said:

While I can comment on this sheet, when looking at some of their sabre sheets which I have the decal and profiles in the book dont actually match the photos in the same book! not exactly stellar.

Also found some of the decals to have no glue on them as well.

Julien

(ps Nice photos in this thread BTW)

Not exactly stellar as you say Julian, this MA sheet has so much room devoted to the large white underwing serials which incidentally were never worn by Kiwi Canberra’s - bizarre. 

What this thread has unearthed to me is an indigenous NZ decal company called Old Model Decals (now make sure you type ‘decals’ in your search - you’ve now been warned). I contacted John, the one man owner and proprietor who has been most helpful with discussing this particular topic. Seems that I’ve helped him clarify a few details and likewise he has opened my eyes to a few things new to me as well. It’s been very entertaining and quite odd for an Aussie modeller to be so interested in NZ subjects! 

Cheers (with a Kiwi ixcent).. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Dave

You may already have the answer? but just incase, this is the only photo I can find that has any indication of what is or isn't under the wing. To me looking at the photo on my laptop I would venture 90% sure a small roundel, less than 20% sure small serials. No way would white be used it would be all but invisible against the HSS underside.

blHo5q.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
100% sure I missed the percentage out
  • Thanks 1

That is such a lovely photo John and I do agree that a small underwing roundel looks (almost certain) to be present however those small serials are not quite as easy to determine. Now I’m happy to buy you at least one pint and will hold the second one on ice until we can unravel those serials a little deeper! 

Once again - you are a true (Canberra) champ. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That is such a lovely photo John and I do agree that a small underwing roundel looks (almost certain) to be present however those small serials are not quite as easy to determine. Now I’m happy to buy you at least one pint and will hold the second one on ice until we can unravel those serials a little deeper! 

Once again - you are a true (Canberra) champ. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, it looks like I'm going to have to settle for just the one pint! I've had a good playaround with the two photos I have, but nothing conclusive.  A nice top side shot of an HSS one just for the record.

blkjtW.jpg

John 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Dave, it looks like I'm going to have to settle for just the one pint! I've had a good playaround with the two photos I have, but nothing conclusive.  A nice top side shot of an HSS one just for the record.

John 

That's more than fine John, with all the Canberra information you've happily provided over the years, you more than deserve a second pint! 

Cheers and thanks for all your help (and latest pic) on this topic.. Dave  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Dave,

You may have (or not) seen these, might give you some ideas

RNZAF Canberra's

Regards

Alan

Yes thanks Alan, this was the great thread that started me researching the subject. 

Cheers.. Dave