Mobil Mustang.....ZK-CCG

.... in white!  This build was done in secret alongside the Harvard I just completed. Must have had a rush to the head as it took next to no time to complete.  BAsic current 1/72nd Airfix Mustang kit with gun ports removed, waste shell slots underwing filled and resin replacement prop blades by Pavla to get the post war square tipped HS prop. All decals from the limited run Ventura set(fairly expensive here (£11.99)for such a small set but I had to have it and use them!

I didn't do anything different in the cockpit because I have no idea what it looked like and being it  was  an ex RNZAF aircraft presume it as standard... except later it had the head rest removed.

Enjoy the pis...

cTZxgG.jpg

6p20oe.jpg

DwOgLh.jpg

KKZU1G.jpg

93ltrk.jpg

1ReaIk.jpg

P0RSUH.jpg

7jZsnz.jpg

NIKFg2.jpg

kcabQN.jpg

YjvHIv.jpg

The windscreen and front edge of main canopy had white decal stripe to replicate the frame.  Not really visible but directly under the nose is a decal (from the set) showing the military serial number of ZK-CCG as NZ2417.  Again the Ventura decal worked very well.

• Like 37

Fantastic. I saw this machine in the mid 60s as a 9 year old, I hadn't even realised these decals had appeared before they were all gone, talk about gutted, I've long wanted to do one of these, so I'm as envious as billyoh. :( I do like the look of yours though, nice job.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks. Good to hear all your views. Keep 'em coming. Incidentally I understand that only 20 sets of each in 72nd and 48th have been printed so that makes it quite rare. Shame really.

I have another civvy Mustang planned but just need to buy another kit. Again it will be quite different.

• 1 month later...

Paul . Love the scheme, pity about the decals not being available. I have done several Aussie civil ones from the 1960s. Roo decals do the bright red VH-AUB.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve,

That's interesting.  It seems that is also on the Draw Decal listing. But with their decision to not send items to the UK from the US due to VAT or something its a loss to them and to us out here in the rest of the world.    

• Like 1