Beaufighter Mk.21, 31 Sqn, RAAF, Morotai, 1945.

Started this just after Christmas as a relaxing, no-stress build.  I bought 3 different MPM boxing's of Hasegawa's Beaufighter when a seller on E-bay had them at a fairly cheap price, each one has several different marking options, Montex masks and PUR exhausts. The kit instructions cover ALL the decal options and are the same in each box, with colour Markings instructions with the variants in each boxing.  This is from the RAAF box and covers Mk I, Mk VI and Mk21 in RAAF service.

Each kit includes all parts to do early and late tail-planes, long and short intakes, tailwheels, AI aerials, etc. Also the Sperry Auto-Pilot housing.

DSC_0002

I chose to do an overall Aluminium finished Mk.21 and on doing a bit of research (unusual for me!) I discovered several Beaufighter's were stripped of their Overall Foliage Green finish.  An interesting article here;

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/newsletter/ADF Telegraph 2018 Autumn.pdf

A8-196 is pictured if you scroll down the page. Of note was the fact that the instructions tell you to fit the long filter intakes and long (PUR) 'Hedgehog' type exhaust's, but the photo shows short intakes and the Mk I type short exhausts.  

I removed the framing from the later type rear canopy to try to represent the Australian style frameless type (not in the kit), it's not perfect but it'll do me. I left off the rear gun.

Modified the starboard wing to the two gun type. Basically filling and re-scribe.

Modified the wing tips to show the rearward 'Stem' type navigation light.

Vallejo ModelAir Aluminium was used overall with a bit of AK Extreme to a couple of panels to add variation.

A light wash into the panels while varnishing, doesn't show up much in the photo's but I'm still learning.

The call out for the small Roundel's in the instruction's for the upper and lower wing I think is wrong, but I didn't spot this till this evening while putting this together!  I think the photo shows the Larger style. I may change them later, but I might just leave them for another RAAF build (Overall Foliage Green)

The kit went together well, hardly any filler used.  I think the pilot's canopy looks a bit too tall and the whole fuselage is a bit 'pinched in', especially towards the rear. But, it looks the part I think.

Last photo's show comparison with a High Planes kit I did last year.

Criticism's and comment's welcome.  

Davey.

DSC_0007

DSC_0008DSC_0004DSC_0009DSC_0012DSC_0014DSC_0017

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Looks great, Davey!  I wouldn't change a thing on it.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.

Cheers Mark, it probably won't get changed, even if I don't use the decals, far too many models to get on with! I do fancy doing an overall Foliage Green one though.

Davey.