Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk IX VZ-B

Hello All. 

This is is my first “go” at posting photos and one of my models here, so hope it works Bear with me if not! A bit of a back story first. I returned to building model aircraft last summer after a long break since school days. Most of the time in between has been occupied with Model Railways but that is another story. 

This Airfix Mk IX was the second kit I bought. It came from the model shop in Barmouth last July while on holiday in Fairbourne. Since starting up again, a small but growing group of Spitfires and Hurricanes have appeared mostly Airfix but also Revell. I’m finishing an Arma Hurricane just now together with an Eduard Mk IX. 

Anyway this Airfix Mk IX is one I’m quite pleased with as (far as I know) I’ve not made too many mistakes. Excuse any rookie mistakes. It is finished as VZ-B of 412 RCAF Squadron circa Dec 1943 as flown by George Buerling using decals by Xtradecal. It is out of the box except I sanded off the bulges over the wheel well which I read somewhere are wrong. It was primed with Tamiya rattle-can surface primer and then sprayed with their Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Sea Grey Medium with the help of a vinyl mask by AML. I’ve not had courage to weather anything yet (maybe one day) so it’s is clean. 

Here are are a few photos take. Outside at the weekend with my phone. Shown for comparison is my JE-J from my school days. Airfix kits have come on a bit since then! Cheers, John

Model Aircraft - Spitfire

• Like 29

You've come a long way since your school days!

If it was me I'd use a silver pencil for some paint chipping and some chalk pastels for some exhaust staining and general grubbiness in certain areas but that's just me.

Well done and good job.

Excellent job for your first one back. I would be happy if it was mine.

Cheers Allan

Edited by almac

Nice, neat builds.

I'm always worried about weathering and either overdo it or you hardly notice it!  

Just trying now not to obsess about it and enjoy modelling, but you can get some good tips on this site.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Lovely models and I would say you have made a good return to the hobby.  

I really like the last photo because of the interaction of the the aircrafts camouflage  with the background.  

Regards, Andrew. 

• 2 months later...

Nicely done my friend, I built one eons ago seemingly in a bizarre scheme from a  Techmod(?) sheet,

not a patch on the newer tools, pick up the new tool AF Spit IA and have blast I like did recently. Good to see a clean build as well, don't feel pressured into preshading, caking filth and dabbing silver paint everywhere, a good clean model does not hide any mistakes and is a joy to look at if well finished... mind you they're even better in flight! On a more serious note before the weathering , get a decent airbrush and nail that, spray cans are super expensive and Tamiya's colors are often dubious,  but if you need to keep using them, try this to control them a bit more

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/welding-metal-work/can-gun-1-spray-can-tool

Anil!

Missed this first time round. I built the original Spitfire. I don't remember it being that bad. Lower standards I suppose. 

Is it just me or does that table top give the impression that the airfield is flooded? Lol

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Missed this first time round. I built the original Spitfire. I don't remember it being that bad. Lower standards I suppose. 

Is it just me or does that table top give the impression that the airfield is flooded? Lol

Yes! I can see what you mean. It is an outdoor table with a sort of wavy glass top and I thought it made a sort of neutral back drop to the photos

• Haha 1