+++ 90s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB, at 30 names now

Col.

Ladies and gentlemen we are now approaching the end of the 45-50s edition of this GB series and I'm thinking it's time to look at one more issue to contine the series. Same theme as ever but covering the 90s decade. Who's in?

1, Col. (Mod)

2, Wez

3, helios16v

4, wimbledon99

5, Jabba

6, modelling minion

7, Corsairfoxfouruncle

8, DAG058

9, Lex77

10, PhantomBigStu

11, franky boy

12, Angus Tura

13, CliffB

14, exdraken

15, theplasticsurgeon

16, rafalbert

17, Hockeyboy76

18, zebra

19, Giorgio N

20, Arniec

21, Dave_R

22, Redstaff

23, Valkyrie

24, Creepy Pete

25, Colin W

26, whiskey

27, IanHx

28, stevej60

29, @Cookenbacher

30, @trickyrich

31, @Panther II

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

Count me in.

This will be an interesting one as the Warsaw Pact as we knew it effectively crumbled during this period. Old adversaries were suddenly new friends...

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Wez said:

Count me in.

This will be an interesting one as the Warsaw Pact as we knew it effectively crumbled during this period. Old adversaries were suddenly new friends...

The DDR ceased to be on 3 Oct 1990. Yes a very interesting period of time. I arrived at Gutersloh at the end of Oct 1989 hoping to see the Berlin wall, the inter border and all that jazz. But the Berlin wall came down at the beginning of that Nov and sometime in the new year we were allowed to go across the inter boarder as long as we told the guardroom that we were doing so. Come 3 Oct 1990 we were allowed to roam where we wanted to as it was now one country so a few of us went to Colditz for the day, originally only going to Magdeburg. We could see Soviet soldiers just walking around the streets of some of the bigger towns that we passed through just wondering what to do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

a few of us went to Colditz for the day

A friend of mine went to Colditz a couple of years back, their guide was a young woman who had no concept of the DDR, more worryingly, she had no idea of the significance of Colditz, very few of the locals did, I got the impression that the Russians hadn't wanted to acknowledge the contribution to WWII of other nations combatants and had hushed up the fact their castle had been used as a PoW camp, the guide had no idea about the Allied contribution.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

When we were there we did manage in pigeon english/german to speak to a few locals who were mightily impressed with the cars that we arrived in about the castle. They did know about the significance of the castle as they though (well we think) some of our relatives had stayed there. There was a guide who could have shown us around the area, but it would have not been to much later and we had gone a lot further than we had intended so we took a walk around ourselves. We found that it was now a mental asylum and one of the lads got into one of the wards by accident and made a very hasty retreat. I also found it difficult to photograph, but did manage to get a few. I do think that things have changed now and you are able to get into the castle.

Oh forgot to say sign me up for this GB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

We found that it was now a mental asylum and one of the lads got into one of the wards by accident and made a very hasty retreat.

My mate mentioned it had been an asylum although it is not any longer, he had to explain to his guide why so many people from all over the world were coming to their castle.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

I'd be up for this Col. I'd be very happy just to endlessly repeat 1945-1960, to tell you the truth! 

I do have some pretty weird Syhart decals for various 90s things,

Alan

• Like 3

The more I think about this one the more I wonder just who the protagonists are?  The Warsaw Pact itself was effectively disbanded in 1991 so what does that mean for those countries that had renounced the pact in 1991 but didn't join NATO until 1997 such as Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Poland?

One thing for sure, it makes for some interesting options.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

The more I think about this one the more I wonder just who the protagonists are?  The Warsaw Pact itself was effectively disbanded in 1991 so what does that mean for those countries that had renounced the pact in 1991 but didn't join NATO until 1997 such as Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Poland?

One thing for sure, it makes for some interesting options.

A good point Wez. For this edition I think we can adopt the same rule as in the currect edition; all current and former participants as well as neutral nations are eligible so long as they fit within the geographic scope and the equipment was operational within the decade ;) 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Wez said:

My mate mentioned it had been an asylum although it is not any longer, he had to explain to his guide why so many people from all over the world were coming to their castle.

I think that sometime later it was actually turned into a hotel.

I 'd be in!

Czech MiG-23 or Su-22 or Su-25?

Austrian "brand new " Draken pre- upgrade?

Some Russian in GDR / Hungary?

Or again an (Ex) Yugoslav fighter?.

Large amounts of fighters around that timeframe!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've taken part in each of these NATO v Warsaw Pact Europe GBs - and as usual I'm struggling to find something.

This time I've got a Revell Tornado GR1, with decals for 1998 - I'm in.

Revell_TornadoGR.jpg

Also a Sword Harrier T4/N (1992),

Sword-Harrier.jpg

Possibly others will be added nearer the time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2019 at 4:57 AM, trickyrich said:

How about  NATO vs Putin GB??

That would be a "current" GB then,  no?

2010-2019....

Hopefully this vs. Putin ends soon... :(

Not too useful having another Cold War... (better than a hot one obviously.....) 

By the way, ending the Kosovo war in June 1999, the Russians overtook NATO by surprise deploying forces.... Mi-24s and Special Forces.....

That would definitely qualify, no?

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2