+++ 90s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB, at 30 names now

Col.

Im definitely in as my original post says. Im thinking Armor as I'm kind of getting the bug for them. Leopard tanks both Marks 1 & 2 would be eligible Im guessing. I have a thread up in armor

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054168-leopard-in-135th-new-questions/

looking for the same answers. Any help in that direction would be gratefully appreciated ? I did originally want to do a Canadian 1A5. However a Mk.2 in any NATO markings from the 90’s, would be good option as well. 

Dennis

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im definitely in as my original post says. Im thinking Armor as I'm kind of getting the bug for them. Leopard tanks both Marks 1 & 2 would be eligible Im guessing. I have a thread up in armor

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054168-leopard-in-135th-new-questions/

looking for the same answers. Any help in that direction would be gratefully appreciated ? I did originally want to do a Canadian 1A5. However a Mk.2 in any NATO markings from the 90’s, would be good option as well. 

Dennis

Looks like either would be good.  Just have to watch out for late Leopard 2s, you'll want an A5 or earlier variant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2

One of those would be a cool project.  They are on my radar if I happen to catch one on sale.

• Thanks 2

On 4/18/2019 at 3:57 AM, trickyrich said:

gosh did we just have this GB???

How about  NATO vs Putin GB??

NATO Vs Putin would certainly be an overarching theme within this edition of the series.

On 4/18/2019 at 6:22 AM, exdraken said:

That would be a "current" GB then,  no?

2010-2019....

Hopefully this vs. Putin ends soon... :(

Not too useful having another Cold War... (better than a hot one obviously.....) 

By the way, ending the Kosovo war in June 1999, the Russians overtook NATO by surprise deploying forces.... Mi-24s and Special Forces.....

That would definitely qualify, no?

Hmm, I doubt we'll ever seen a true end to the West/East posturing, it has too great a political value for both sides :( 

The Kosovo War is very much a 90s conflict so should form a reoccuring theme for this GB and the Mi-24 with its associated Special Forces troops would most certainly qualify. I'd love to see examples of both modelled. Hint, hint... ;) :whistle:

On 4/19/2019 at 7:59 AM, rafalbert said:

Go on then.....

Dave

Good man :D 

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dennis

Nice! The Leopard always looked to be a potent weapon from what little experience I had of them :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, helios16v said:

Looks like either would be good.  Just have to watch out for late Leopard 2s, you'll want an A5 or earlier variant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2

One of those would be a cool project.  They are on my radar if I happen to catch one on sale.

Hope you do as I'd love to see a few Leopards in this edition of the series :) 

• Like 1

It would be hard to call this a "NATO Vs. Warsaw Pact", as the latter disbanded early in the decade, in any case the '90s were quite turbulent years in Europe, with a lot of changes so I feel that it would be good to continue the series. Plenty of interesting subjects here, with countries switching from one alliance to the other, the birth of new countries with new armed forces and the sad years of the war in former Yugoslavia. Please count me in !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in, with what I haven't got a clue jet? Will see when it starts, but there will be something in my stash for it.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Sign me up.

I've done every previous edition and I feel the need to build some MBTs.  Leopard 2 and Challenger 2 for sure and maybe something from the east of Europe if I can get my head around all those T-something or others.

Dave.

• Like 2

Go on then, it would be rude not to seeing as I've done a couple of the others

Don't want to do a Tonka as that's already an STGB in planning, maybe time to tackle the Jaguar GR1 or the Harrier GR7 in 1/48th, not sure what decals the kits come with, but I'm sure something will fit in this slot nicely with one of them :) 

Ian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave_R said:

Sign me up.

I've done every previous edition and I feel the need to build some MBTs.  Leopard 2 and Challenger 2 for sure and maybe something from the east of Europe if I can get my head around all those T-something or others.

Dave.

Excellent! There was a good selection of interesting heavy metal going about on all sides during this era including plenty of those T-somethings :thumbsup:

45 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Go on then, it would be rude not to seeing as I've done a couple of the others

Don't want to do a Tonka as that's already an STGB in planning, maybe time to tackle the Jaguar GR1 or the Harrier GR7 in 1/48th, not sure what decals the kits come with, but I'm sure something will fit in this slot nicely with one of them :) 

Ian

Okay then, since you insist :D  Both the Jags and Harriers are cool subjects with plenty squadrons using them in a few different schemes during the 90s :speak_cool:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Stick me down, something Czech or Polish 

Good man :D

• Thanks 1

Oh look, the Viggen comes w/ decals from F7 Wing from the '90s.  😈

Though I will admit it's probably going to be hard not to go w/ an ex-Warsaw aircraft.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Oh look, the Viggen comes w/ decals from F7 Wing from the '90s.  😈

Though I will admit it's probably going to be hard not to go w/ an ex-Warsaw aircraft.....

The Viggen is always a cool subject. Balance it out with something ex-WarPac for a nice double build ;)

Good idea Col and a great way to follow the rest of the 'series '.

Count me in with a nice big jet. Not sure what yet but plenty in the stash to choose from. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1

That's us on 25 names now :D 

The 90s were a chaotic time within Europe with a lot going on and plenty subjects to chose from in many different markings. Let's call it 'colourful' in a different way from the 50s edition of our GB series.

Are we there yet?

I was fumbling through my stash last night and looking through my Tamiya Eagle kit after RAAF whiffy discussions w/ Rich and stumbled across a set of Lakenheath F-15C decals I had forgotten I had picked up.  Sooo many options in the stash.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, whiskey said:

So is the Bosnia/Kosovo conflicts being included in this or no? Would be pretty cool to do Vega-31, or one of the F-16 MiG-29 killers.

Well, speaking as someone who got a NATO medal for service out there, it bloody should be!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, whiskey said:

So is the Bosnia/Kosovo conflicts being included in this or no? Would be pretty cool to do Vega-31, or one of the F-16 MiG-29 killers.

Oh yes...

8 hours ago, Wez said:

Well, speaking as someone who got a NATO medal for service out there, it bloody should be!

...it bloody well is! :lol: 

8 hours ago, IanHx said:

I suppose I've done the other decades, might as well do this one too.

Does a melted wing count as a 'Nighthawk over Serbia'  diorama  ? :)

Dioramas do indeed count and if you want to have a go at representing the pile of twisted alloys and smouldering plastic that F-117 became you're most welcome ;) 

14 hours ago, helios16v said:

Are we there yet?

I was fumbling through my stash last night and looking through my Tamiya Eagle kit after RAAF whiffy discussions w/ Rich and stumbled across a set of Lakenheath F-15C decals I had forgotten I had picked up.  Sooo many options in the stash.

27 names now with @whiskeyand @IanHxon board so tantalizingly close Chris :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Dioramas do indeed count and if you want to have a go at representing the pile of twisted alloys and smouldering plastic that F-117 became you're most welcome ;) 

Nah, I'll pick a proper subject nearer the time. That was just my "can I complete a group build in 10 minutes?" contingency plan :)

• Haha 2

I just finished reading Stealth Fighter: A Year In The Life Of An F-117 Pilot by William O'Connor. He was in the same squadron as the pilot of Vega-31 during Kosovo in '99. It was really fascinating how he tells Vega's story, albeit briefly, and the aftermath of not just the Nighthawk's tactics but those of all the Allied aircraft. The pilot of Vega-31 has wanted to remain anonymous since the incident and not hog the spotlight, unlike others *cough cough* *Grady* *cough,* so anything about the shoot down is interesting to me.

• Like 2