1/72 Hasegawa Spitfire MkI & BF 109E & HE111P/H "The Airfight over Dunkirk"

A nice job there Stephen, the only real hiccup I can see you had was with some silvering under your wing walkway decals, they're  often sods to get right, however, I wonder if you might be able to fix them by running some Klear or similar under them by pricking the silvered ares with a pin carefully & then dabbing the Klear onto that area with a  small brush . A read through this might help. If your haven't got Klear, Pascoes Long Life Self Shining Floor polish seems to do OK too.

Steve.

• Like 3

Good to hear there's an alternative the Klear as I believe they've changed the formula.  My bottle's still going strong but will run out one day. 

Anyway, a very nice Spitfire in those pre-Battle of Britain colours.  This is an aircraft flown by the great Kiwi ace Colin Gray, if I'm not mistaken.  He claimed a probable Me109 in it on 25th May over Dunkirk.  The aircraft was severely damaged during the combat but Gray managed to nurse it back to Hornchurch.  It was repaired and later issued to 152 Squadron.  Sadly it was lost with its pilot, Australian Sgt K C Holland after he had destroyed an He111 on 20th September. 

• Like 1

Steve in NZ I won't worry about fixing the decal.  It is a reminder to never answer the phone when it rings even if it is the bloody plumber to install the wife's new oven.  How I would love to go to NZ for a holiday, we can't leave Billy (dog) he frets when the wife goes to work.  He is an Animal rescue dog and I think he has been dumped a few times before.

Meatbox8 you have given me an idea for my next Spitfire build, Sgt K. C. Holland's aircraft.  Do you have any info on this particular aircraft?

Stephen

• Like 1

Hi Stephen.  I can certainly look in to it.  Most of the information in my previous post was gleaned from the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No.12 'Spitfire Mk.I/II Aces 1939-41'.  

What I can tell is that the aircraft's registration was N3173, although, like your model, it didn't appear to have had the serial in evidence in the usual place to the rear of the fuselage, at least not when it was with 54 Squadron.  152 (Hyderabad) Squadron's codes were UM but I'm afraid I don't know the individual letter for this aircraft.   Their codes seem to have been applied in quite a large font.  The aircraft would almost certainly have had the underside re-painted in Sky with large 'Type A' roundels applied at this time. 

Kenneth Christopher Holland was born in Sydney and was only 20 when he was lost, the tenth and, quite possibly, the youngest Aussie who was killed during the Battle.    Below is a link to 152 Squadron's memorial website.  It's a really good site and there is a whole section dedicated to the memory of Holland.  Well worth a look.

http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/index.htm

Sorry I can't be more help at the moment but hopefully this info will be useful. 

• Like 2

Just a bit of info which might be of interest.  The aircraft Holland shot down was a Heinkel He111P of 6/KG55.  Apparently, having mortally damaged the bomber Holland went in closer to check on his aim when the Heinkel's gunner fired at him.  Both aircraft came down in the vicinity of Bath, Somerset.  There is a memorial to him there to this day, I'm glad to say.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

Thanks for the info Meatbox8, I will definitely try an build Kenneth's aircraft.

I look forward to seeing it.  Sorry I couldn't get you the aircraft code but it may come up somewhere. I'm sure it will be a fitting tribute to a very young and courageous one of  'the few'. 

Edited by Meatbox8