An-2 Colt 1:72 Italeri

Here was a mojo restoration build!

It's the Italeri boxing of the An-2 Colt. I really enjoyed seeing the Estonian airforce Colt fly over to RIAT (must have taken a few days to get over here!) and wanted to build the model. It's a bit of a composite of the few they still fly. A very basic set of decals were all that was available, so it's near enough. There's a small sheet of photoetch in there which I picked up from Hannants. Most is useable but an aerial and a few other bits were flung to the carpet monster by way of a sacrificial offering. Canopy was a two part affair, it went together OK but was like cutting the masking for the Crystal Palace, new blade in the Exacto and much tongue out of mouth corner required. 

Overall it was a reasonable build. EZ line used for rigging which was a bit tricky. Found a better technique for placing it now. Had fun and it sits nicely in the cabinet. 

412e4d46-a8de-46a8-9f49-97a0afbb2c13.jpg

c70d4b48-378d-4628-8bb2-d09e10aece8b.jpg

f5debc0b-f21b-4b5d-97da-65fc11e6813f.jpg

1dbe6ed4-1702-4d17-bafd-548f3ef75130.jpg

9d62764f-837d-4d05-8684-7d4f0ea80a1c.jpg

• Like 18

Very nice, mate. Certainly they don't pop up here often, if at all, so you are commended for posting something different, and in a different markings. I saw the RIAT example and one previouosly at Aalborg in 2012. THey too should be commended for keeping them alive! :)

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, mate. Certainly they don't pop up here often, if at all, so you are commended for posting something different, and in a different markings. I saw the RIAT example and one previouosly at Aalborg in 2012. THey too should be commended for keeping them alive! :)

Martin

They're certainly very special aircraft. They had one display at Duxford some years ago. Apparently they can barely stall with a modest headwind, they pretty much float down. 

I think it might have been last year when one turned up at Duxford carrying a contingent over from the continent. At the end of the airship it clattered down the runway, took off in very short order and turned left. I did wince a bit when it only just made it over the hillside. 

There's a story I read of an ex-Soviet one being inspected for reregistration for service somewhere in Europe. When they looked at the log book, it showed many, many flights of short duration, just minutes in most cases. The finally revealed tale was that it had been used by a small town to replace a bridge that had been washed away in a flood.

I saw one of these one the ground at RIAT 07, and they are quite the large bird. Nicely built model, and a reminder that I really should get on with my one...

• Like 1