Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Finally - what feels like forever I have something to post.  I seem to have been constantly doing bits and pieces in the background but haven't managed to get anything completed for months.

 

The model I've managed to get finished is Revell's 1/72 P-47 D-30 Thunderbolt.  There were 2 options in the box so I opted for P-47 - 28 - RE GC II/5 Lafayette, Armee de L'air, Amberien, France 1944 - I thought it would be good to do something a bit different from the usual American schemes.

 

The model itself was excellent and went together without any hassles - the only real issue being the silvery plastic the model is moulded in which becomes annoying when you have to sand it as you end up with two different coloured plastics making it difficult to check seam lines etc.  For a 1/72 model - there is plenty of detail which shows up nicely with washes and weathering.  

 

I've probably gone a bit overboard with photos so apologies in advance.  Feedback is always welcome so please let me know what you think.

 

DSC00437

 

DSC00438

 

DSC00439

 

DSC00444

 

DSC00445

 

DSC00446

 

DSC00447

 

DSC00448

 

DSC00449

 

DSC00450

 

DSC00451

 

DSC00453

 

DSC00455

 

DSC00457

 

DSC00458

 

DSC00460

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks really nice and nice weathering and painting.

That aluminium propeller is very unusual for a P-47D, I hope you have a good reference on that.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, mate. That Revell kit is nice. Is it my eyes, though; is the canopy green different from the aircraft? Whatever, it is smart. I love French stuff.

 

Martin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Looks really nice and nice weathering and painting.

That aluminium propeller is very unusual for a P-47D, I hope you have a good reference on that.

Cheers

Thx for your feedback AS. The propeller was a massive enigma in this kit and in hindsight I think I went the wrong way. If you did the American scheme you were told the propeller should be Nato Olive. If you did the french scheme it should be aluminium and in the main instructions you should paint it Anthracite irrespective of the scheme - very confusing!!! I think I'll correct the propeller to the Anthracite which seems to be what references suggest. My fault for trusting instructions!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, mate. That Revell kit is nice. Is it my eyes, though; is the canopy green different from the aircraft? Whatever, it is smart. I love French stuff.

 

Martin

 

Thanks for the comments RR. Having looked back at the pics you're right about the canopy - it was fitted retrospectively so I've realised didn't receive any weathering. I'll get this corrected along with the propeller and then I may be on to a winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's a winner already, mate. A gret kit, A great subject, a great build and in the only scale that matters (in my view) :)

 

Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She's a winner already, mate. A gret kit, A great subject, a great build and in the only scale that matters (in my view) :)

 

Martin

Thanks very much for that Martin - really appreciate it. I'm like you too - 1/72 always my scale of choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I love difference, not following the crowd, etc...... French subjects are always colourful. THey have operated such a diverse bag of aircraft over the years and so you can get extra interest very easily. I am currently waiting for the AZ Super Mystere B2, of which I have two on order. What a great machine :). It may not have been as capable as some and certainly it had issues - like regular nosewhel failures - but it had character.

 

Martin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

And I love difference, not following the crowd, etc...... French subjects are always colourful. THey have operated such a diverse bag of aircraft over the years and so you can get extra interest very easily. I am currently waiting for the AZ Super Mystere B2, of which I have two on order. What a great machine :). It may not have been as capable as some and certainly it had issues - like regular nosewhel failures - but it had character.

 

Martin 

Yeah I totally get that Martin - I do like something a bit different or even the 'ugly ducklings' as they always have character if not looks. I'll have to keep an eye out for a Mystere from you in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That'll be once they release it and I've got through my current build list ;). Right now it is a F-104A Starfighter and a NF-101A Voodoo. Both are "different" ;)

 

If you like French ...... 

 

I thought I'd milk it just a little more as I love it :)

 

Martin

 

 

Edited by RidgeRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

That'll be once they release it and I've got through my current build list ;). Right now it is a F-104A Starfighter and a NF-101A Voodoo. Both are "different" ;)

I have a Starfighter in the stash too - again a type with a questionable record but they certainly look the part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, planecrazee said:

questionable record but they certainly look the part

 

Ah..... now you are talking to a life-long Starfighter fan! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a Flory wash you used on the Jug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

That'll be once they release it and I've got through my current build list ;). Right now it is a F-104A Starfighter and a NF-101A Voodoo. Both are "different" ;)

 

If you like French ...... 

 

I thought I'd milk it just a little more as I love it :)

 

Martin

 

 

Thanks for sharing that with me Martin - that's a superb piece of modelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Is that a Flory wash you used on the Jug?

No didn't use a wash - I tend to just use MIG Panel liner and concentrate on the panel lines rather than wash the entire model. A bit more labour intensive but I think it does the job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lovely piece of work & nicely finished. 

 

Nice to to see a Jug in French markings. 

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

A lovely piece of work & nicely finished. 

 

Nice to to see a Jug in French markings. 

 

Pete

Thanks Pete.  That was why I went for the French option as you don't see many of them in these schemes.                    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Looks superb. I think you've got the finish just right. I'm always wary of weathering and often start off OK but chicken out half way through!

 

Don't think I've ever done a 'Jug', maybe when I was a young'un, but this makes me think I should maybe add one, looks good in the French markings as well.

 

:goodjob:

 

Davey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Wow! Looks superb. I think you've got the finish just right. I'm always wary of weathering and often start off OK but chicken out half way through!

 

Don't think I've ever done a 'Jug', maybe when I was a young'un, but this makes me think I should maybe add one, looks good in the French markings as well.

 

:goodjob:

 

Davey.

Thanks for your feedback Davey - really appreciated. I agree with you - weathering is one of those steps where I feel it's necessary to make a model look more authentic but it's definitely trying to get it right that's often difficult. This was my first Jug build too and I really enjoyed it. For a 1/72 model I would definitely recommend this as it went together with no issues, excellent fit of parts and the detail is really good too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always been a fan of French jugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...