Does the 1/24 Typhoon need anything to make the kit better?

Harrier/ViperFan

Hey all,

I finally got a 1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b bubble top. I I had a good look at the instructions and parts and got myself some Masks and Cockpit Dials as the kit is lacking them on the decals. 

Is there anything else this kit needs as replacement or for improvement? As I want to do this kit some justice when I start, as I be collecting the bits over the next several months I haven’t set a price limit yet as I be building this as I recover from major surgery later in the year. So any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Harrier/ViperFan

Check the barracudacals resin parts

http://barracudacals.com/products.php?cat=49

You might want to check what etch sets Eduard do, and what they offer

https://www.eduard.com/index.php?stoken=6194259F&lang=1&currency=0&cl=search&listorderby=oxarticles.oxactivefrom&listorder=desc&sendSearchForm=1&searchparam=typhoon+1%2F24

note these do have the instructions as .pdf's, so you can see what they offer, as well as photos of the parts in place.   

this is what is in stock at Hannants

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?search=&exact=0&department=&type=&sort=&manufacturer_id=0&manufacturer_slug=&product_type_id=&product_category_id=0&product_division_id=0&scale_id=952&arrival_date=&stock=&pictures_only=&search_direction=asc&code=&keyword_search=typhoon&setPerPage=75

I'd also have a look at some builds, and what they used, or not.    Also depends on how you intend to display your model, and there is also good old fashioned plain modelling, as AM isn't the best for adding pipes and wires,  while 'some modelling skill'  plus some different thickness's and types of wire is.

Other will know more, or have different opinions,  

HTH

Seat belts - RB Productions recommended.  Radiator mesh - RB Productions.  Instrument panel dials you have.  I suggest that In 1/24th you should be able add almost any other detail you want without without paying lots of brass for lots of brass!  I bought the Eduard cockpit set but am not sure it made much difference in the end.

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

On 15 April 2019 at 10:30 PM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

Is there anything else this kit needs as replacement or for improvement?

I think it totally depends on what you personally mean by 'needs'. 

IMHO the Airfix kit just by itself will make a fabulous model and any amount of detailing that's added will probably be overshadowed by how good a paint job and the overall look of the finish is.

By that, I'm trying to say that you'll get an awesome looking model without adding any extras.

If (like I did) you start going down the road of researching ('dangerous' in some ways as it risks becoming a sort of obsession😉 - actually I've really enjoyed it) and looking at period photos, there are plenty of opportunities and challenges to add extra bits for added 'authenticity' and Airfix have made a perfect frame for you to add any of your personal touches. 

I've had to be 'on and off' with my build (search 'Zipp' in the Works in progress) as I'm having to fit it in between doing paintings for people, plus we had a family bereavement and plenty of care issues, but I love it when I get the chance to spend some time on it.

My personal take on it is: If I see something that differs between the kit and the real thing, I think:-

How noticeable is it?/ Will it make any real difference at the end?/Might it stop me actually reaching the end?

Does it personally bother me?

Has anyone else made an aftermarket product to cover it?

Can I think of another way of doing anything about it?

Do I want to take the extra time and trouble to do something about it?

If I can pull it off, will it be a satisfying small victory?

I decided early on that I was only going to have panels open on one side of the aircraft, which meant I felt I could spend more time on those areas than if I had to do both sides and therefore add some extras.

So far, the main things I've personally felt I wanted to try to do something about without going to aftermarket products were:-

Adding and altering engine piping and details.

Adding cockpit wiring and details (port side only mainly).

Adding a 'Normandy dust solution' Vokes/RAE air filter to the intake.

Making a new shape 4 bladed spinner from 3 bladed short one.

Making a new 'minimal external framing' windscreen.

Adding parts to the cannon bay and brass cannon muzzles/adding external cannon fairing detail.

Adding extra wing surface at the port wing root because fuselage side panel removed (sits beneath the wing/fuselage fillet).

Adding the holes in the wing undersurfaces seen in photos where the rocket rails can be mounted (mine's a 'bombphoon' but the holes are still there in photos).

Aftermarket extras I went for so far:

Radu Brinzan radiator mesh.

Airscale cockpit instruments.

Eduard cannon bay resin (just mainly for the look of the cannon rounds).

Things I'm looking at doing something about when I get there:

1000lb MC Bomb stencilling/Bomb details

Adding extra underwing mounting points for the bomb fairings

....and of course it could all end up looking like a dog's dinner if I mess the painting up.😀 Still, it's been fun so far.

She's 'hangared' at the moment as I'm on a Lightning painting and I'll be looking forward to her coming out again.

Here's one you can solve for me though:- Where can I find a 50cm deep display cabinet for it that doesn't cost the earth?

At the moment I'm looking at having to build my own from furniture board. 

That's the one thing I hadn't thought of until recently.

I hope you enjoy your build as much as I'm doing. Looking forward to seeing it when you get started. 

Good luck and enjoy!

Bob.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
added sign off and name
  • Like 2

I’d also say seat belts.  I’m building one now (well, WAS building till it stalled....) and it’s pretty much built and I wish i’d Splashed out on some belts....

rest it is good to go imho with perhaps the radiator front but then again, with a wash it comes out ok.

a word of advice.  Make sure you remove any seam lines (there’s a lot of them!) from all parts and be careful not to get primer/ paint on any mating surfaces as the tolerances are VERY tight.....

• Like 1

In my view it needs Erks (groundcrew)!

There's a lot of wonderful internal detail which is just crying out for a diorama showing a maintenance scene with the groundcrew working their magic to give it context - sadly, no such set exists.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wez said:

In my view it needs Erks (groundcrew)!

There's a lot of wonderful internal detail which is just crying out for a diorama showing a maintenance scene with the groundcrew working their magic - sadly, no such set exists.

Indeed!

the internal detail (if it’s the bubble top) is almost impossible to see.  I’ve seen a few builds on t’internet with access panels removed.  Far beyond my skills but I spent more time on the internal detail than anything else and it can’t be seen.  I think this kit is one that it’s almost “I know it’s there and i’m Happy with that” than anything else i’ve Built.

If you really want to go whole hog, there’s also the radio bay, not in the kit.

There’s almost nothing in any reference I have. The only thing I’ve found is a Tempest diagram from a restoration on the net.

As far as I can tell, there’s the TR1133/4 radio, and power unit. Below that is the IFF and Beam approach receiver.

Anyone have better info?

TW

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wez said:

There's a lot of wonderful internal detail which is just crying out for a diorama showing a maintenance scene with the groundcrew working their magic to give it context - sadly, no such set exists.

If you have a figure sculpting bent,  folks have modified the 1/24th Tamiya race mechanics set

124_Rally_Mechanics_Set__24266_10705.jpe

But, yes, shame there isn't a dedicated set.   

I picked up a 1/24th Hasegawa Jeep kit for mine,  if I ever get around to it.

The Airfix Mosquito comes with a few figures though

3234-1.jpg

I have rued the lack of 1/24th  ground crew since the late 70's and my first Superkits back then!

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

If you have a figure sculpting bent,  folks have modified the 1/24th Tamiya race mechanics set

Sadly Troy, I don't think I have the necessary skills :fraidnot:

One thing that struck me about that boxart though, how the driver was stood there telling the mechanics how to do their job - just like bloody aircrew!

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I have rued the lack of 1/24th  ground crew since the late 70's and my first Superkits back then!

The Typhoon is my first and only 1/24th kit, hopefully by the time I have the time to make the kit some wonderful soul will have released some Erks.

Just in case you fancy adding one little bit of extra detail that you can add for free, that features in quite a noticeable place on the aircraft (if you're not unhappy about carefully drillling/filing in the rear of the canopy part), there's the the small 'hole' on the rear starboard canopy framing. 

Also, there's also another similar shaped (possibly slightly smaller?) hole that sits just in front of the windscreen on the fuselage centreline between the windscreen and the panel line or the oil tank panel. 

I'd personally love to hear what these are exactly for, if anyone's got the answer please?

This is the rear canopy hole on MN235 at Hendon (starboard side only). Airfix have marked the area with outlines on port and starboard sides but to my eyes, a little too near the centreline and I've not come across a photo of one on the port side in period photos ......(yet!).

HiG9v8.jpg

PP7xlK.jpg

This next one also shows the small notch on the bottom edge too.

HbO8dc.jpg

Then there's the similar shaped hole in front of the windscreen between it and the oil tank panel line on the fuselage centreline.

Here's a link where you can make it out on Hugh Fraser's 'Nicky' (you can also see one here on Clostermann's 'Grand Charles' Tempest.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/180854-modification-typhoon-ibl-tempest-mkv-glassless-gunsight-mkiitype-i-mkiii/

I'm going to try putting them on mine, anyway.🙂

Cheers Bob.

• Thanks 2