Soviet cockpit colour

phat trev

I am sure this has been covered before! So hoping no one minds me posting about the colour used in Soviet Cold War Jets...

Looking to start one of my 1/72 Soviet Jets from the pile, SU-25, SU-9 or Mig 21 Mongol. Going to use a Citadel paint called Temple Guard Blue as this looks a good choice (may need to a a bit of Snot Green!).  Has anyone else used the colour or what do you use for these aircraft?

I generally use Vallejo emerald green for early aircraft and Akan interior blue for modern. Both brush paint really nicely and look accurate to me on 1/72 

All the Su-25 cockpit photos I have seen are light blue-grey (like the Su-27 Flanker cockpit).

Plenty of pics if you search for 'Su-25 Cockpit'

The Su-9 had a grey cockpit AFAIK - happy to be proved wrong though.

The Turquoise colour was used on MiG aircraft (up to the MiG-29) - although the MiG-31 uses it.

Ken

21 hours ago, Flankerman said:

The Turquoise colour was used on MiG aircraft (up to the MiG-29) - although the MiG-31 uses it.

I absolutely not a expert in Soviet bomber/cargo aircraft, because I interesting only fighters, but something says my what Turquoise colour used not only on MiG aircraft ( from MiG-21 to MiG-27 & some  MiG-31)!

In my opinion, I see local used

Turquoise colour

on this photo Tu-95MS (as examples) from Wikipedia:

Tupolev_Tu-95MS,_Ukraine_-_Air_Force_AN1

Cockpit_of_Tupolev_Tu-95MS_(6).jpg

Cockpit_of_Tupolev_Tu-95MS_(5).jpg

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

You are correct Serge - the I've seen that turquoise colour on Tupolev Tu-154 and Tu-134 airliners, some Antonov's and Mil helicopters as well.

An-22...

day05_026.jpg

I was trying to point out that we should not automatically assume that ALL contemporary fighters used it - certainly not many Sukhois.

Ken

7 hours ago, Flankerman said:

I was trying to point out that we should not automatically assume that ALL contemporary fighters used it - certainly not many Sukhois.

You absolutely right! I don't remember any example of the use of 

Turquoise in the cockpit Sukhoj.

At the same time, most of the cockpit combat Yakovlev is green.

The appearance of the Turquoise

, some researchers attribute to the fact that this color has a relaxing effect on the pilot, some researchers say that this color is borrowed from the American aircraft* (!? 😲which ones?).

But in any case, whatever the reason for the appearance of this color, it was not the absolute standard for the Soviet cockpit.

B.R.

Serge 

* - interesting fact.

The appearance of bluesh-grey in the F-106 cockpit is associated with the influence of the color of 

Turquoise MiG-25 cockpit. 

😁😁

Hello all,

my experience on the subject is based on the MiG-21s at Finnish Air Force service. The turquoise colour is rather "blueish" when fresh and not exposed to Sun light. Over time and sun exposure the colour lightens considerably and turns toward a greenish hue.

cde810bc-f9b0-41a1-a56b-f0c5b0ec2bf2.JPG

I haven't found any information about the colours used reading these; the original Soviet MiG-21 BIS technical manuals and drawings.

resized_05b242e7-c3a4-4451-966e-1e1cfd27

I made colour comparisons using the Swedish NCS (Natural Colour System) standard. The following hues were observed in the cockpit of MG-114:

S 3060-B70G

S 2555-B80G

S 4050-B70G

There were no exact matches using the FS or RAL -systems.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

I made colour comparisons using the Swedish NCS (Natural Colour System) standard. The following hues were observed in the cockpit of MG-114:

S 3060-B70G

S 2555-B80G

S 4050-B70G

Kind Regards,

Antti

To add to the confusion: In once mixed the turquoise MiG-25 cockpit color from Humbrol paints, 2+47+221 in a 1:3:1 mix ratio. It resulted in a color close to RAL 5021 Wasserblau.

mig25r-17.jpg

Rob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I haven't found any information about the colours used reading these; the original Soviet MiG-21 BIS technical manuals and drawings.

Some Soviet  technical manuals have something information about 

colours used, as examples this  page from technical manuals MiG-25P:

1525440922-032.jpg

Resource: http://scalemodels.ru/modules/news/img_12822_1525440922_032.jpg.html

but most technical manuals without this information.

B.w. in this colour key from technical manuals MiG-25P say it is said that the zone that most manufacturers of models interpret as "natural metal"

mig-25.526.jpg

web.jpg

is actually a surface painted with "aluminum enamel ЕP-140 (ЭП-140)"! 

(I recall that my was once asked to give examples of the painting of the MiG-25

😉😁 )

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello all,

my experience on the subject is based on the MiG-21s at Finnish Air Force service. The turquoise colour is rather "blueish" when fresh and not exposed to Sun light. Over time and sun exposure the colour lightens considerably and turns toward a greenish hue.

cde810bc-f9b0-41a1-a56b-f0c5b0ec2bf2.JPG

resized_05b242e7-c3a4-4451-966e-1e1cfd27

S 3060-B70G

S 2555-B80G

S 4050-B70G

Kind Regards,

Antti

If only more people used NCS1950 - it's over twice the size of an FS595 fan and has much more than twice as many colours since so many in FS595 are essentially duplicates. NCS1950 references clearly cannot be misinterpreted to be paint specificafions either!

It's a very handy fan to have!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Antti_K said:

is it that sample in the upper left hand corner? It looks good. What did you use as a reference?

I tried several mixes on a piece of plastic, and indeed I selected the upper left sample (1:3:1) to mix in a larger quantity in a spare tinlet.

My references were some book photos and my own memories of this color - hardly reliable references 😲 I had nothing else to work from, this had to do !

Rob

• Like 1