F-94C Starfire ##Finished##

Jb65rams

My entry will be Emhar's 1/72 F-94C Starfire.

From Wikipeadia.

"The Lockheed F-94 Starfire was a first-generation jet aircraft of the United States Air Force. It was developed from the twin-seat Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star in the late 1940s as an all-weather, day/night interceptor. The aircraft reached operational service in May 1950 with Air Defense Command, replacing the piston-engined North American F-82 Twin Mustang in the all-weather interceptor role.

The F-94 was the first operational USAF fighter equipped with an afterburner and was the first jet-powered all-weather fighter to enter combat during the Korean War in January 1953. It had a relatively brief operational life, being replaced in the mid-1950s by the Northrop F-89 Scorpion and North American F-86D Sabre."

The kit

47513564922_69376a1ee4_c.jpg

Not a lot of plastic.

47513565452_28fd306407_c.jpg

Plan is to through a bit of aftermarket at it including a replacement cockpit tub.

46842745324_ec4d514ba0_c.jpg

Edited by Jb65rams
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Between waiting for decals to set and paint to dry on my other ongoing groupbuild entries I have made a small start on the Starfire. Carried out some surgery on the fuselage to allow the resin cockpit tub to fit.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks for the kind words.

@SoftScience the minor surgery was to removed the molded on bulkhead from the fuselage halves to allow the bulkhead on the resin cockpit tub to fit.

Spent some time cleaning the seams. Now primed and given a coat of Vallejo Metal Colour Aluminium.

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 31/05/2019 at 12:03, Colin W said:

Looking great now. Much faster progress than the Goshawk! 

Colin 

Yep. A lot less parts.

A bit of a big update. Mask to spray leading edges.

spacer.png

Masking removed. I'm pleased with the way it it looking. Looking back I think my airbrushing and masking are slowly improving.

spacer.png

Undercarriage on with resin after-market wheels. The main issue was the nose leg, this appeared just to be a butt joint. As it is a tail sitter and needs a lot of nose weight, I was concerned that it would not hold up. To overcome this I used a small scrap of 1mm thick plastic card cut to fit the wheel well and drilled a hole to except the nose leg. I then glued this into place.

spacer.png

Start made on decaling. I had to replace the kit supplied 'stars and bars' as the stars were odd shapes.  The remaining kit decals behaved very well, just needed to trim the excess carrier film. 

spacer.png

Cockpit uncovered and seats installed. The after-market cockpit tubs / seats definitely improves the final look. 

spacer.png

Final thing to add was the canopy, in the raised position, and Flightpath's etch access ladder.

spacer.png

Calling this one finished. I really enjoyed building this kit, relatively simple but rewards the effort you put in.

• Like 7