Tamiya Fairey Swordfish Mk.1 Floatplane 1/48

Finally finished this one after ignoring at it on my bench for 5(!) years. The photo-etch rigging totally owned me and I cried mercy before getting it all on there. Would love any tutorial references you may have for photo-etch rigging techniques, though don't know if I'll be attempting it again any time soon, haha. Overall a fun build, but definitely challenged me a good deal.

46696458115_9aaa86d6a6_b.jpg

33734878858_a54d5d99b5_b.jpg

46696457415_823feff93f_b.jpg

46696457725_02aed90682_b.jpg

46696458575_f1ae080cfb_b.jpg

Flickr Album

• Like 54

Superb job and the rigging looks pretty good.  I just finished the Mk II with the photo etch rigging and it fought me all the way.  I wish I had advice but all I think in retrospect might be to glue one end and leave the other to slide somehow until everything is completed.  However, I have no idea if this would actually work.  

• Thanks 1

Very nice looking aircraft. I believe every build I've seen has mentioned the rigging. The only way I could get mine to work was to remove the lower attachment point. I then glued the top to the wing and let it set. I then gently lifted the bottom, place a small dab of CA to it and let it free fall into place. Not perfect but the best I could achieve.

• Thanks 1

Great build. These always take a real effort to build, but it looks like it was worth it. I'm glad I didn't splash out for the rigging set after your comment.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scoobydoof said:

Looks very nice, could a Swordfish carry a full bomb load as well as a torpedo? I thought it was 6 bombs or a torpedo?

@Scoobydoof – I definitely do not think that it could, haha. Just thought it looked cool fully loaded up, even if it wasn't a possible arrangement. 

20 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Brilliant work, I got one of these recently so this is a real inspiration to get cracking.

@Duncan B – Awesome! Can't wait to see your build. Did you go w/ the floatplane or normal version? 

20 hours ago, phildagreek said:

A stunner!

@phildagreek – Thank you so much!

20 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Absolutely superb!

@85sqn – Thank you! 🙏

13 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Superb job and the rigging looks pretty good.  I just finished the Mk II with the photo etch rigging and it fought me all the way.  I wish I had advice but all I think in retrospect might be to glue one end and leave the other to slide somehow until everything is completed.  However, I have no idea if this would actually work.  

@Harold55 – This was more or less my tactic, but boy did I still struggle. The pieces that get inserted and run front-to-back near the wing posts didn't even come close to touching the other wing. Most definitely builder-error, I'm sure, but still, good grief. I Also had a hard time getting one side to set with super glue unless I'd use a pretty big dab of it, mucking up the wing a bit. Zip-kicker seemed to help a bit, but juggling it all was a bit of a nightmare for me. Props to you for getting it all to jive! 💪

11 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice looking aircraft. I believe every build I've seen has mentioned the rigging. The only way I could get mine to work was to remove the lower attachment point. I then glued the top to the wing and let it set. I then gently lifted the bottom, place a small dab of CA to it and let it free fall into place. Not perfect but the best I could achieve.

@fubar57 – This was my technique, but still struggled getting the wires to reach the proper areas once the wings were all on there. I think I also need a lesson in how to get glue to dry fast without spraying zip-kicker all over and making a mess. 

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

A beautiful job there, Robb, Much respect for your perseverance with the rigging.

@Vinnie – Thank you! I really appreciate it.

9 hours ago, BerndM said:

Awesome result. The challenge was rewarding.

@BerndM – Thank you so much. 🙏

8 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Great build. These always take a real effort to build, but it looks like it was worth it. I'm glad I didn't slash out for the rigging set after your comment.

@Greg Law – Thank you. There was still some good that came from the photo-etch besides the rigging, IMHO. On the engine, there a few finicky pieces that are a bit tough to apply but really help add scale to the model, (IMHO). I also liked a few pieces in the cockpit. Also, as mentioned here in this post, there's probably a good way to manage the rigging but I just have not quite yet managed to understand what it is, haha. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

I take the spritzer out of the zip-kicker and use a micro brush to apply

Yes, thanks for this. I find I go through about $30 of micro brushes when I go this route, but maybe that's what ya gotta do. Good to hear I'm not the only one destroying their micro brushes by the truckload, perhaps, haha. 

What type of super glue did you use? I had a very hard time sticking Ezeline when I was rigging two bi planes until I worked out you shouldn't use the thin Ca. When I changed to Zap-gap which is thicker

I had no problems.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

That is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the heads up on the rigging. I have one of these in the stash, and will approach with caution!

Cheers

John

• Like 1