Morane-Saulnier M.S.225 Detroyat, Heller, 1/72nd

I continue to find models to post from a seemingly inexhaustible modeling well.

This is from six years ago and was done more or less at the same time that the 230, posted here at BM:

Yet another Morane Saulnier plane used by Michel Detroyat, this time the M.S.225, modified for its use as a racer and aerobatic machine. It was painted in an attractive red/black/silver scheme, and demonstrated its capabilities –and of course those of its pilot- to a great extent.

Again an old good Heller kit provides the canvas for this project, the parts being a tad chunkier than the M.S.230 just finished. Some accurizing is needed too but the basics are there. My sample was provided by the ever-smiling, spanakopita-rider, Mr Psarras of Floridian. Thanks again!

As you can see in the photos, a new cowl was made, the ribbing and rivets were toned-down, the cockpit was refined and some internal structure added. The engine will need an oil radiator and a new prop, the armament needs deletion, the ailerons need to be completed –as with Heller’s M.S.230 the intrados of the wing has no aileron separation lines- and other details will have to be taken care of. As I always say: look at your reference photos.

Heller kits of course are not perfect. But they do have a very logical and practical part breakdown.
If you considered when were they designed -during the kit-making stone age-, your admiration may increase even more.
The outer upper wing panels follow a real separation on the plane, but you will have to engrave that separation on the intrados yourself. The stabs were dynamically balanced in the original plane, the kit has them wrong, correct as per photo here.

02.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

47.jpg

49.jpg

51.jpg

53.jpg

55.jpg

60.jpg

58.jpg

56.jpg

06.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

• Like 17

Nice! Another great build. I guess I missed the first one somehow. After reading that build, it reminded me of what I found in a second-hand FROG P-61 that I bought at the Alberta Aviation Museum, back in 2010. It contained this little nugget:

39957319420_319bd9b264_z.jpg

Chris

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Nice! Another great build. I guess I missed the first one somehow. After reading that build, it reminded me of what I found in a second-hand FROG P-61 that I bought at the Alberta Aviation Museum, back in 2010. It contained this little nugget:

39957319420_319bd9b264_z.jpg

Chris

Chris!

If you had drank that and your modeling sessions lasts more than 4 hours, you need to see a doctor!

Cheers

• Haha 1