Question about DC-9-32 wingspans

Hello everyone,

This will be my first time posting in the civil section! For my project I'm going to learn to do some basic conversion and decal making - converting the Aurora/Atlantis 1/72 DC-9-10 into a 9-30-F. So other than having to make my own markings, the most significant change would be to lengthen the fuselage by 6.3cm, then add an extra 1.6cm to the wingspan. The fuselage part is easy - but for the wing, can anyone tell me if the wingspan increase also resulted in a longer wingchord, or was it just an extension to the tips? A tip extension would be easy enough. Enlarging the wing overall - that would require some planning. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Supertom
Corrected variant info

In 1/72, forward fuselage stretch is 40.2mm, aft fuselage stretch is 22.9mm, and each wingtip stretch is 8.4mm.

The angle of the -30's wing leading edge is a little less swept back then the -10, so the chord increases slightly over the -10 as you near the tip.

Here's a plan you can use: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/attachments/dc-9-30-wing-stations-jpg.38562/

The stabilisers on the -10 were mounted perfectly horizontal, but from the -30 onwards, they are mounted with 3 degrees anhedral.

Also from the -30 onwards (just to be nit-picky), the engine pylons were mounted half a window frame further aft.

This page is handy: https://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=396

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

In 1/72, forward fuselage stretch is 40.2mm, aft fuselage stretch is 22.9mm, and each wingtip stretch is 8.4mm.

Aft stretch is between the wingroot and engine mounts, correct?

Thank you, everyone! Looks like this won't be as easy as it looks. I'll have to take another look at the kit tonight to figure out how to extend the wing chord, but I think chopping the leading edge of the wing off, pivoting the leading edge at the wing tip a few degrees, then filling the resulting space would be the "easiest" way to achieve this, then adding the wingip extension. This makes extending the fuselage fore and aft of the wing the second hardest task, and adding the 3° anhedral the easiest of the tasks. Well, let's see how this goes!

4 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

It's probably not the definitive DC-9 book but this is a useful source of information. It's written by a lady who is a modeller as well as an authority on the DC-9 and its offspring.

And it would have been a much better book if the production of it had not been taken out of my hands by a jarhead who knew nothing about airplanes, but that's another story.

On 15/04/2019 at 17:49, bentwaters81tfw said:

Useful info. I'm converting to a USN C-9B. I'm cheating a bit, 'cos I bought 2!

Nothing wrong with a '2 kit stretch' apart from it sounding like a prison sentence. It is what I have done for my B746. Now doing my own head scratching as I stretch the wings between the engines and at the root.