Westland Wessex Colors

Boyd Waechter

I am currently building an Italeri 1/48th Westland Wessex UH.5 and want to finish it in the hi vis colors of blue and red of the 771 Squadron, Culdrose, 1977, one of the options on the decal sheet.  In looking at the profiles in the Warpaint book on the Wessex, they indicate the these helicopters were painted blue-gray, but photos I've found online seem to show them a dark sea blue.  The instructions call for RAF Blue Gray.  I am totally confused (which doesn't take much).

Can anyone educate me on the correct colors of these helicopters?  Where they dark blue or blue gray, or both at different times?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  I can be contacted direct at [email protected]

Boyd Waechter

Katy, Texas

USA

[email protected]

Hi Boyd

It is called RAF Blue Grey and its paint code isBS 381C;633.  I think Xtracolour have it in their range.  I don't know about FS near-equivalents but this thread suggests one:   https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37008-raf-blue-grey/

David

Boyd, it is a question that many of us have asked!

Another link to confirm the replies the others have given: https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/115663-navy-wessex-paint

The blue-greys all seem to look similar depending upon the lighting, the film, the exposure and the printing.

And that is just in books and magazines.

On a computer screen ....who knows?

John

RAF Blue Grey was the main colour. 

International Orange wasn't used though, flourescent Red/Orange was originally specified for the high-viz areas, which I think went to a flat red based colour later.

Edited by 71chally

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help.  I found a supplier here in the U.S. that carries XtraColor paint, so I was able to obtain the RAF Blue Gray for the fuselage.  Color photos of the Wessex I want to do shows gloss red in the hi vis areas, so I'll use red instead of international orange or dayglo orange.  I have always had problems applying dayglo colors and they seem to be very fragile once on the model.  Thanks again from Texas!

Boyd Waechter

As an aside, I'm sure I read somewhere that the decals supplied in the kit for this options are hopelessly incorrect in size.  I found an AM sheet for mine when I built it a few years back & you might find it too if you want.  A search on Hannants may be in order!

• Like 1