Airfix 1/72 Tomahawk P40 Speed Build

To break up the endless application of stencil decals to my Airfix Victor, I decided to do a bit of stash clearing.... By building another kit (of course, I will need 5 more to replace it, I'm thinking an English Electric Lightning in 1/72 maybe?).

She will be painted up in RAF colours, and I'm aiming for 3 or 4 days from start to finish.
Yesterday (Sunday) evening:

I started off assembly as per the instructions, by painting and joining the fuselage halves. The green used is a mixture of Vallejo Model Air Gunship Green annd Citadel Zandri Dust (about 1:1) brush painted on. I decided to add masking tape seatbelts because why not? A bit of extra detail for only 10 or 20 minutes of work. I also attached the propeller at this point, but left the spinner just held in place from the tight fit. Probably a mistake, but I want it to spin.

As normal for me, I attached all the bits of the tail early on in the build because I'm just impatient sometimes, plus this is a speed build.

07a305132a35e306a729310af2b68e98.jpg

03fdd8dd913164067d815bf7caa9b6e5.jpg

^ Part way through assembling the cockpit. I later snapped the control column which was a pain, but it went on regardless (I don't think I took a picture of that)

This (Monday) morning:

8498b2e6e7ac6aed6dd0d88869469dda.jpg

^ Landing gear doors atached. The inside ones were a pain and confusing, but they went on fine in the end.

d230f1b710e68a8d93edbe496357cec1.jpg

Almost ready for paint now I'd say (just a few bits I forgot that will be attached before paint).

In all that's about 3 hours of work so far.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 4

Plans to work on this tonight are probably cancelled to watch the news coverage of the Notre Dame fire.

My sympathy goes to all the people of Paris. I hope everyone there is unhurt.

7d74e678da6254184570514ae2a82f46.jpg

Yesterday (Tuesday) evening:

I did the camo freehand airbrushed because I just couldn't be bothered to mask it and it looks fine like this. Canopy is a bit odd as the instructions say entirely brown even though it's on a green bit..... Don't like that too much.

• Like 5

Maybe it will look better once the other clear parts are in... 

She's got landing gear installed as of about 20 minutes ago. I'm hoping to get her decaled up tonight and weathered tomorrow. This build is definitely speed over quality, I just want to see how quickly I can put the thing together. 

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

This build is definitely speed over quality, I just want to see how quickly I can put the thing together. 

Well, it looks good to me! I too find the canopy colour rather jarring. I have a stalled build of this kit (the 73 Sqn boxing) in the same camo scheme and the canopy there is green. I think I've built three of these now and it's a good choice for a fast build, there's nothing onerous in the construction other than trying not to break that flaming dorsal radio antenna!

I changed the canopy colour. The box art shows green and that's good enough for me to change it. 

The antenna broke, and has been fixed, all the guns are damaged and fixed, once fell off and was fixed, the other clear parts don't fit, the wheel bits don't fit (not down to paint as I made sure non would interfere).....

Can I just get onto decals already??

I might do a FW190 after this before carrying on with my Victor build (see another WIP thread that I've not gotten around to updating in like a week or something), or might do a bf110. It just keeps me sane inbetween pressure from exams that I'm taking.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Great job! I had this kit and never finished it. Will be watching. I may do it again as Pappy Boyington's

Flying Tigers plane. Picture here from web, think from Profiles Galore.---John

AZxM71M.jpg

Wednesday (not Tuesday... I forgot what day it is) evening:

ac093e15f63752611e13f1c2543af249.jpg

Here she is with her gear on. The wheel hubs were horrible to get in. I need to do another coat of green on the canopy as I'm using airbrush paints with a brush because I don't have the brush equivalent and no way am I masking it again.

Since this picture (about 10-15 minutes ago) I've done a little weathering to the landing gear and underside (only where no decals will be). I plan on finishing her off being pretty beaten up, maybe a few holes here and there, a well used aircraft.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Wednesday evening:

Exhaust bits are done. I did a burnt/heated metal look on them.

31001025465d98c02b5cf04fabf237a2.png

I started with a silver Vallejo air paint (steel), and mixed in some Citadel Balthazar Gold. I increased the amount in each layer, and then added a bit of Citadel Nagaroth Night. A useful technique I learnt from being a wargamer.

The effect is shown better here on this peice of leftover frame (sprue)216e4dffcfd92931d4cb971a084b008b.jpg

Here's the difference between the initial and final shade

37976cb8857f0deb8faffdec4cdc4ea2.jpg

Then I applied some decals, so far they have been taking to the recesses nicely and behaving well. Another great decal sheet from Airfix. You can also kind of see a bit of the initial weathering on the tires (this aircraft was in Egypt so I did it all sandy/dusty)

1b26815df22fe59fda53568d7fbea480.jpg

I should not update this at 2am....... I would update my Victor thread but I don't trust myself not to drop it getting it down from the shelf at this time

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Johnv said:

Great job! I had this kit and never finished it. Will be watching. I may do it again as Pappy Boyington's

Flying Tigers plane. Picture here from web, think from Profiles Galore.---John

AZxM71M.jpg

Nice illustration! I recently did the HobbyBoss kit in these markings using a PrintScale decal sheet:

Edited by VMA131Marine

Thurday Evening:

07c85e014b5d3e6337e79a929234f407.jpg

Decals done (not going to do stencil decals on this). All went on well except for putting the black wing ones on the wrong wings and having to carefully switch them around (having already been sitting on for almost a day for one of them, it worked surprisingly). Now onto the weathering.

9d1e9907d05b355afc151e1ca7d702fa.jpg

Just over 10 minutes later from when the previous picture was taken I had it his far into the weathering. I'm doing her really beat up, as if she's been into hell and dragged back out backwards, and repeated it at least ten times. Sounds about right for World War Two, right? This was done with a cut up sponge and Revell Aluminium paint, dragging it to make the scrapes and dabbing it on for normal chipping

2c36842bedf95d7caa14d955021df41e.jpg

Oops, a little blurry. I might get a better picture later. This is after about 30 minutes of weathering. Silver is now in two shades (Citadel Leadbelcher- love that paint- and the Revell Aluminium), and applied along the panel lines, something I love doing and I think when done well looks great- this isn't my best example of it but I'm happy with it (see my 1/48 Airfix Bf109e3 build for a better version)

61da5b76427f0930249600d8c33c7585.jpg

And the other side.....

8535879621e5075dfb5a48397bb086d1.jpg

And the underside....

Almost done now, very little left to do. Just the pitot tube left to attach. Maybe a wash here and there.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...