Finished! - Gloster Javelin FAW.9R - Airfix 1/48, tribute to Novo kit from my past

Hi comrades!

My next project will be Javelin in 48th. I'll use aftermarket - Eduard brass (and, yes, probably I'll replace all tiny aerodynamic fences by brass), Armory wheels, Master brass pitot and Quickboost intakes/antennas.

I plane to paint the roundels (They are huge, and mast conform to problematic surface...). Specific variant - probably XH893 with bug on the tail.

Any advice on the kit problems? How are the Airfix decals? Any application problems? Any tips are welcomed!

I'm still on the "plumbing" stage - sand and polish all the "tubing" before painting.

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg 

• Like 7

I'm in! I love the Javelin and will always be happy to see another one coming.

It is not necessary to paint the roundels. You can split the decal and paint only the area over the Vortex generators. Here is mine (one of them):

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I'm in! I love the Javelin and will always be happy to see another one coming.

It is not necessary to paint the roundels. You can split the decal and paint only the area over the Vortex generators. Here is mine (one of them):

Kind Regards,

Antti

Thank You!

Your build is fantastic "How to" guide!!!!

I will follow it as I can!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Mind you, it's a bit of a monster when built!

Thank You!

Like Einstein said, everything relative... 

006.jpg

Here in comparison with my Classic Airframes Canberra T.17 and Italery Tornado IDS

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • cema_ga changed the title to Gloster Javelin FAW.9R - Airfix 1/48, tribute to Novo kit from my past - resurrected build 01/07/2019

Hi comrades!

I received the Xtradecals X48126 decal and decided to build XH960 plane from 29 squadron while on duty at Akrotiri, Cyprus 1965. Any specific modifications I need to do? From first check with my references, inboard cannons must be fired over. Any additional modifications inside the cockpit? Antennas? Also what level of weathering is appropriate?

007.jpg

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

a Il-28 maybe?

May be, but after true bomber modification will be boxed...Probably in livery of Egypt air force of Six Day war or later

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind if I follow this build. Think the next build will be a Javelin and I've just ordered an Alley Cat Models conversion set and a load Eduard brass to go with it.

Hello cema_ga,

nice to see that your project is running again🙂

The cockpit will be just right for a Javelin based on the Mediterranean area. There was a "Gee" indicator in the rear cockpit and it is in the kit. Another question is whether an extra ILS indicator is required for the pilot's instrument panel (a later modification added this in the lower left hand corner).

When considering the guns I've seen two variations: a fairing covering the other gun port when armed with missiles and on the other hand both guns in place and missiles in pylons.

Further details you can find in my WIP.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

nice to see that your project is running again

Thank You!

I made short (one month!) break between jets to build small Japanese bomber...It was fun! Now back to bigger planes.

From pictures of 29th squadron FAW9 I'm almost sure that inboard or outboard cannons are faired. I am still in search for the appropriate pictures of the prototype

3 hours ago, petetasker said:

Hope you don't mind if I follow this build. Think the next build will be a Javelin and I've just ordered an Alley Cat Models conversion set and a load Eduard brass to go with it.

Welcome aboard!

Hi comrades!

I made some progress:

Cockpit done with Eduard brass (wrong gray color will be hardly seen without flash and under the closed canopy) 

Forward wheel well done OOB with additional pipe

Forward fuselage section closed with addition of antennas (thanks to @Antti_K) - some refinements and additions will be done later. 

The main fuselage assembly is still in the dry-fit stages. Looks good so far - I'll try not to use putty here...

And the reference photo of the 29th squadron Javelin in the Malta - I will do the same gun configuration

021.jpg

020.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

29th-001.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 5

• cema_ga changed the title to Gloster Javelin FAW.9R - Airfix 1/48, tribute to Novo kit from my past - update 07/07/2019

VERY nice work with the cockpits! I had the same PE set but decided to use only instrument panels; and those I sanded smooth and painted with flat black.

The last photo shows a tank pylon and also some stencils over the fuel tank maintenance panels. And of course that flame tube fairing.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi comrades!

Construction continues. Main fuselage assembly finished. I checked the balance of the model with main parts taped together.

039.jpg
040.jpg

Assembly and improving the wings just started

037.jpg
038.jpg
041.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

• cema_ga changed the title to Gloster Javelin FAW.9R - Airfix 1/48, tribute to Novo kit from my past - update 18/07/2019
7 hours ago, petetasker said:

Nice cockpit looking good - I'm always slightly gobsmacked just how big the Javelin was!

Thank You!

Yes, it's big - like other "flying missile launchers - MIG-31, MIG-25, Tu-128". Good platform for missiles, but unsuitable for dogfight. 

Hi comrades!

Main assembly completed! Air refueling probe still not installed - placed for photography only

042.jpg
043.jpg
044.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

• cema_ga changed the title to Gloster Javelin FAW.9R - Airfix 1/48, tribute to Novo kit from my past - update 22/07/2019