Starter kit Gb

airfixpeter

I would like to propose a starter kit Gb my idea is simple take a starter set and using only the kit contents build the kit.

And only using the basic tools.

To put it in simple terms.

Build a starter set kit using only the kit contents.

Basic tools allowed.

Knife 

Tweezers

Sanding stick or paper.

Spure cutters.

Masking tape.

Additional glue will be allowed.

Airbrushing is strictly prohibited.

My idea is to see if we can live without the airbrush and any of the modern day aids and just go back to basics.

The kit must be the single box kits and not the multiple sets.

2 minutes ago, peterairfix said:

I haven't been a member for long so I have missed them.

I’ve a feeling that the previous one was just coming to an end when I joined and it sort of stuck in my mind. All that aside it’s a good idea and probably time for another one.

Hello @peterairfix ... Interesting idea for a build. I like it but there is a minor flaw in your basic idea. I live in Chicago and have never seen a starter set. I have modeled since 1979 and in 39+ years of building never seen one. The basic rule would prohibit someone like myself from joining in. I can get the Airfix kits, just not in starter kit form. Would you make allowances for the people to use there own paints and glues in a case like this ? 

Dennis

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I can get the Airfix kits, just not in starter kit form. Would you make allowances for the people to use there own paints and glues in a case like this

I could make the allowance  providing that the paint is the basic colours supplied with starter kit if you can get where I am coming from.

• Like 1

Great idea (again) and I'm in :thumbsup:. I'd like to quote the rules from the previous one. Peterairfix, as it's your GB proposal, you can make up your new rules any which way you like, or base them on these from 2016 :coolio:. I think overseas participants like Dennis should be allowed some liberties... V-P

"General rules are as follows,

1, Dates will be...

2, Kits must be from a manufacturers starter set range with Glue, Paints, brush etc.

3, Only the paints, brushes and glue supplied in the kit may be used NO ALTERNATIVES.

4, Tools allowed are as follows; cutters, knife/ scalpel, tweezers, tape, clothes pegs for clamps.

5, the following is not allowed in the build; Airbrushes, extra paint, extra glue, brushes, No dipping of canopies in klear or other treatments, no decal solutions, clamps or any other modern aids that make our life sometimes easier.

6, Colour schemes are out of the box no aftermarket decal sets resin or PE.

7, I know it sounds harsh above but the most important thing will be HAVE FUN! 

8, A work in progress must be shown starting with a picture of the box with contents and finished pics placed in the gallery when finished

9, At the end of the build a poll will be set up for people to vote for their favorite."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

General rules are as follows,

That about sums it up I couldn't have put it better but I would like to add a twist to the theme after the original starter kit has been built get another of the same kit and build in the normal way chucking everything at it and picturing them side by side to show the difference between the two build styles.

A kind of a two part group build.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peterairfix said:

get another of the same kit and build in the normal way chucking everything at it

Fair enough, but not everyone builds like that. Finances, abilities, parts availability and just plain old desire all sometimes mitigate against it.

• Thanks 2