1982-99 USMC helicopter camouflage

KRK4m

Do you have any idea (better supported by photos, of course) about the camouflage of UH-1N, CH-46 and CH-53D helicopters operating on LHA amphibious carriers in 1982-1984? I am currently building Dragon/Italeri 1/700 USS Nassau LHA-4, equipped with an airwing consisting of the three above-mentioned helicopters plus AV-8A and OV-10A planes.

Harriers are already wearing a low-vis gray+green over light grey camo with black lettering and all-black insignia. Broncos are overall dark green with black lettering and insignia, but how did the helos look like back then?

In the photo of the AV-8 aboard Nassau there is a "monocolor" UH-1N looking definitely more gray than green, but the tailboom is out of camera range and I don't know if it's a Marines or Navy machine (white USS Nassau letters on the side door direct me closer to the Navy option).

AFAIK the beautiful gray/black/green wraparound camouflage was introduced to USMC chopters a little later (1985/86?), so machines contemporary to the AV-8A and Bronco on the LHA-4 deck should be rather uniform dark green. But was the lettering white or black? Were the insignia still colourful, or was it an all-black low-visibility version?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Michael 

Edited by KRK4m

Official scheme for USMC helicopters in the timeframe you're interested in was overall FS 34097 with all markings in black, so I'd expect all helicopters to be in this scheme.

The OV-10s followed the same regulations of the helicopters, so as you have already see this would also be in such a scheme.

The 3.color scheme was officially sanctioned in April 1986

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Giorgio - April 1986 explains why no pictures of plain FS34097 CH-53Es (except prototypes) are known.

Andy - the Portsmouth photos are great. Nevertheless, on #3 you can see one CH-53D with white letters and high-vis insignia (in front of the other two marked "black only"). The existence of such quirks was the main reason for my question. Nevertheless, since I only have 1/700 black MARINES inscriptions, I feel justified to use them on all my 1983 micro-airwing.

Thank you for your interest, Gentlemen

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m

• KRK4m changed the title to 1982-99 USMC helicopter camouflage

One more question: what was the final year of using the 1986 3-color tactical land scheme (gray/green/black) on the USMC helos (AH/UH-1, CH-46, CH-53)?

Did it extend to the 21st century or not?

Cheers

Michael

2 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Did it extend to the 21st century or not?

The TPS colours that replaced the Land Camouflage Scheme were introduced from 1993 on; I'd say that the Land scheme did not see operational use in this century.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1