Differences between Series 1 & 2 of the Tempest V

Brad-M

I'm not sure if this was true for all series ones but some early Tempests which utilised Typhoon fuselages sections had a bulge on the wing root where the deeper wing structure of the typhoon showed up, modified as production progressed, quite evident in the photo in this website of JN729 in line with the pilots head on the wing root fairing.

Steve.

• Like 1

Brad, 

Series 1 photos will also show different (early) tyres and wheel hubs, almost similar to those fitted to Typhoons. If you are building the new Eduard kit both tyres are included. You may also want to incorporate the numerous fish tail reinforcement plates that helped strengthen the rear fuselage in order to keep the tail on! 

Early Tempest Wheels - https://hlj.com/1-48-scale-tempest-mk-v-wheels-early-for-eduard-edu648420

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Guys. I am a bit confused in the post Bob where they mention the first batch of the Tempest Mk V's were in the JN serial range. What about the EJ serial range, wouldn't they have been first?

Brad

Edited by Brad-M
typo

I think JN was the original Tempest order (Hawker Langley), while EJ was originally ordered from Gloster as Typhoon production, subsequently offset for Tempest, with a portion cancelled?  But that's just a "reading between the lines" guess, so I stand (or sit) to be corrected.

• Like 1