Lockheed Hudson, Mk. I

I’ve been following BritModeller for a while, but having seen a couple of Hudson WIP builds, I felt I had to contribute something of my own. 

This is my version of the Revell 1/72 Lockheed Hudson, which started life as a limited run by MPM, then was picked up by Italieri, before finding its final resting place in Revell’s back catalogue. I was lucky enough to find one in my local model shop in Saint Paul, MN.

I chose to make P5120 of No. 206 Squadron, a Mk. I variant from 1940, based at Bircham Newton. 

The Hudson played an important role in coastal defenses during WWII. An American aircraft, it was adopted by the RAF after a series of hasty redesigns to meet their exacting specifications. Built in the US, one of the first shipments was dragged by mules over the Canadian border and put on a boat to Britain to be outfitted there as a patrol bomber. 

As reported by others, this kit is not an easy build. Its vintage engineering was a real challenge to my limited skills,  requiring shimming, filling and sanding over numerous sessions. Despite this, seeing the iconic shape of the Hudson emerge over time was worth the effort. 

I wanted to depict it in flight, and as this was not a supplied option, I had to chop the wheels down to fit in the too shallow wheel wells. I added some detail to the cockpit and navigator's area - all completely invisible through those tiny windows! I also added a very nice pilot and navigator from PJ Productions, and used Montex Masks for roundels, windows and gun turret. To finish it off, I replaced the kit guns with Master .303 Browning barrels - tiny brass miracles. 

Not conventionally attractive, the Hudson’s bulbous silhouette nevertheless makes for a striking appearance. I remember my dad’s Airfix version, built in the 70’s and gathering dust for a couple of decades after. This build is a homage to that memory and all the pilots who mastered this bulldog of a plane. 

hud20

hud19

hud21

hud25

hud26

hud23

hud22

hud27

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

I have one of these stalled (I will finish it!!) so I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this. Your weathering is particularly good too.

Excellent job 👍🏻

Trevor 

Nice model.

One question.

You spent a lot of time weathering the airframe yet the markings all look pristine.

Was that an oversight or the result of adding the decals after the weathering?

I know, I'm being picky.  Apologies.

That looks absolutely terrific.  A great paint finish and weathering.  I really like how you've posed it 'in flight'.   Whatever difficulties there were in the build they haven't taken anything away from a superb end result.  This is such an important aircraft that I really think it deserves a new, state-of-the-art treatment from one of the major producers.  How about it, Airfix?

P.S.  Really like the story about the first airframes being mulled across the Canadian border.

Thanks for the support, everyone! I've gained a lot of inspiration from the work shared here by all of you, so it's gratifying to get your comments. 

1 hour ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Nice model.

One question.

You spent a lot of time weathering the airframe yet the markings all look pristine.

Was that an oversight or the result of adding the decals after the weathering?

I know, I'm being picky.  Apologies.

Yes, I probably should've pushed the roundels back a bit to integrate them into the rest of the airframe. They're actually painted on - not decals - so I can't blame the process. During my research, it was hard to tell from period photos how and how much the roundels got worn down or faded, so I erred on the side of caution. Thanks for the tip.

20 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That looks absolutely terrific.  A great paint finish and weathering.  I really like how you've posed it 'in flight'.   Whatever difficulties there were in the build they haven't taken anything away from a superb end result.  This is such an important aircraft that I really think it deserves a new, state-of-the-art treatment from one of the major producers.  How about it, Airfix?

P.S.  Really like the story about the first airframes being mulled across the Canadian border.

And I totally agree about Airfix offering a new tool of this icon. Another 1/48 beauty like their Blenheim would sell like out in short order. 

• Like 1

Well done for taming this kit,...... not the easiest but it does look excellent when it is finished,..... your paintwork is excellent,

Cheers

Tony