1/72 RarePlane Super King Air - Irish Air Corps

Hi all and finally over the line with this one, my first ever Vacform build.

Originally started for the Maritime Patrol/Coastal Command GB but not making the finish in time, you can read all about my adventures in sanding on the WIPs here and here

Not my greatest build by a long shot so please don't look too closely.

The first Super King Air entered service with the Irish Air Corps in 1977 with the second joining in 1978. Both were operated by Maritime Squadron, No. 1 Support Wing in the fishery protection and maritime surveillance role. A third joined the fleet in 1980 but was used for pilot conversion & training and Air Ambulance. All have been retired and replaced with two Casa CN 235s in the mid '90s.

Thanks to everyone who gave me tips and advice on this build and to all the Vacform builders out there, I salute you brave modellers - we all sand together! 😂 

40640134203_af70716d59_b.jpgRarePlane Super King Air_Irish_Air_Corps (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

40640133983_1ca08d899c_b.jpgRarePlane Super King Air_Irish_Air_Corps (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

47606645281_4110fd6076_b.jpgRarePlane Super King Air_Irish_Air_Corps (16) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

33732107508_80a58da302_b.jpgRarePlane Super King Air Irish Air Corps_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

33732107218_f72c88089b_b.jpgRarePlane Super King Air Irish Air Corps_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

40640133123_b60a21f09d_b.jpgRarePlane Super King Air_Irish_Air_Corps (15) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 25

Looks really smart, a great effort for a first vac (I still haven't managed to be brave enough to try it yet!)

I was following the build but only now realised how small the finished article was. You've done a great job.

Alan

• Thanks 1

Great job there Dermot.  Lovely to see it.

Are you taking it along to the Irish Model Soldier Society Show in May?  I think I might wander along to the show and take a look at the entries..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Great job there Dermot.  Lovely to see it.

Are you taking it along to the Irish Model Soldier Society Show in May?  I think I might wander along to the show and take a look at the entries..

Thanks everyone for the kind words - very grateful!

No, probably not going to bring it to IMSS.....not good enough for a show competition table.. 

12 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words - very grateful!

No, probably not going to bring it to IMSS.....not good enough for a show competition table.. 

Do you go both days Dermot?  I went last year and displayed some models with the underlying plan to maybe join the group but didn't get a particularly friendly vibe.  I will go along this year but visiting only, no displaying for me (the stress of the transportation was way to high)...

Lovely job, especially for a first vacform. Glad you persevered with it.

I started my Dynavector Wyvern, got it approximately Wyvern shaped but it's now languishing on the shelf of doom.

Pete

• Thanks 1