RN Flower Class corvettes: colours

Michael51

I am planning an RC conversion of the Matchbox / Revell 1/72 kit of the Flower Class corvette.

I am not all that keen on the disruptive camouflage patterns.

Was there a period at War's commencement when these vessels were devoid of camouflage and if so, what colours would be most appropriate for the hull and superstructure?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Michael

4 minutes ago, Michael51 said:

Was there a period at War's commencement when these vessels were devoid of camouflage and if so, what colours would be most appropriate for the hull and superstructure?

the chap for this will be @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

whose has done a load of research on RN colours,  and then made the paint!

here, and scroll down,

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/colour-schemes-references-colourcoats-research

there are links to various documents on WW2 RN colours.   

Which are relevant to you I don't know,  but hopefully you'll get an answer to your other questions.

cheers

T

• Thanks 2

Hi Gents,

The short answer is "Yes" - the first Flowers came into Royal Navy service in mid 1940. Here's an example painted in Home Fleet Grey:

HMS_Picotee_(K63)_IWM_A_4594.jpg

However (there's always a "However"!) note that the early ships had a short forecastle and this was a feature that was changed relatively early into Flower class construction.

This later vessel is typical of the Flower class in general You can see the Forecastle deck extends back over half the length of the ship and in addition the mast has been relocated behind the wheelhouse. This is the configuration depicted in the model kits:

HMS_Jonquil_(K68)_IWM_FL_22394.jpg

I don't like writing in absolutes without hard evidence (and I haven't done my homework here to make any such claim) but it appears that the modified Flowers were beginning to be ordered from about 1941 onwards, and by the time they were commissioned it's very likely they'd have been painted in a disruptive pattern camouflage of some type depending on where the vessel was intended to be posted to.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Troy, Jamie,

This has been of great help and is most appreciated.

It looks like the disruptive pattern will be the more accurate choice.

Thank you again,

Michael

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

There is endless choice within the realms of disruptive pattern schemes - just be wary of your sources of reference. There are some somewhat-less-than-studious authors out there who write in a very authoritative way but a little scratching away at the surface reveals something between fundamental lack of understanding and downright fabrication... caveat emptor!

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie,

I did have the original Lambert book but it was sold off to a bookseller some time ago.

Given its current asking price, I wish I had kept it.

I have ordered Lambert and Brown's 'Shipcraft Special: Flower Class Corvettes'.

As far as I can tell, this would be the next best option.

Ships are not my area of expertise so do set me on the right course should you consider other print sources to be more appropriate,

Michael

Hi Michael, those are quite good books and the authors well regarded.

There is a very wide range of choices for camouflage schemes for these little corvettes so if you don't like the Western Approaches type (for example) then there are examples of Admiralty Light type schemes etc instead. With the different scheme types came different colours too, so there are certainly options.

• Like 1

Jamie, Tom and Niall,

Thanks for the extra advice and directions to other sources; much appreciated.

The interweb holds a variety of sources relating to R/C conversion. For the low-tech types such as myself, is there a single, illustrated source that explains the optimum layout for batteries, rc gear, motor, prop. shaft, rudder mechanism etc?

Any advice would be most appreciated,

Michael

28 minutes ago, Niall said:

I would recommend using 2.4gig RC as this has a Bluetooth like digital signal which means there is no interferance with other users.

The forum Model Boat Mayhem has many RC conversions on the Revell kit, I think you need to sign up to see pictures - link -

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php

Thanks Niall,

A PM from another forum member put me onto the site you recommend.

I registered earlier today and the response has been very encouraging,

Michael

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm into Naval Movies of old in a great way, The Cruel Sea, my favourite of all time Film, then there's Corvette K-225, both film's were based on the life of the Men who served on Corvette's in Wartime Service, and in all the Corvettes used, none had the dazzle paint scheme, even when the makers used real Wartime film of Corvettes in both of these Films, all the Corvettes had the normal grey paint schemes, I know it doesn't mean much, or might not help much, I just thought it might give you another option

• Like 1

• 1 month later...