Lord Riot

like Troffa I'm stuck where I don't want to be so can't link etc, I seem to remember that Tommys' excellent Tailhook Topics webpages features a piece about the intakes, possibly with comparison drawings.

The manual pages that John has kindly provided look pure early USN F-4 to me, maybe seen as good enough for the purposes of what they are illustrating.

BTW if anyone needs any specific shots from an FG.1 do let me know.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

like Troffa I'm stuck where I don't want to be so can't link etc, I seem to remember that Tommys' excellent Tailhook Topics webpages features a piece about the intakes, possibly with comparison drawings.

The manual pages that John has kindly provided look pure early USN F-4 to me, maybe seen as good enough for the purposes of what they are illustrating.

BTW if anyone needs any specific shots from an FG.1 do let me know.

James it was more for the frame (station)measurements than the drawings, much of the F.4 UK is generic USN stuff.

John

• Like 2

Superb stuff John, this is the first time I've seen official reference to Dark Sea Grey for the upper fuselage which McDD applied to the FAA Phantoms before they had to be repainted in Extra Dark Sea Grey.

Keep it coming!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Superb stuff John, this is the first time I've seen official reference to Dark Sea Grey for the upper fuselage which McDD applied to the FAA Phantoms before they had to be repainted in Extra Dark Sea Grey.

Keep it coming!

James, this is the full document, it makes for an interesting read,

b5TyQe.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 4/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, canberra kid said:

James, this is the full document, it makes for an interesting read,

b5TyQe.jpg

John

An interesting read for sure and it begs the question at what point did they change to EDSG? However it might explain why they looked 'faded' in lots of photos of them in service, compared with the Buccaneers, as they might not actually have been EDSG during their early career?

Duncan B

My understanding is that they were delivered from McDonnell Douglas in the lighter grey but were quicly refinished in the EDSG, but I can't find tangible evidence of when.

I don't know if that involved all deliveries either, as many photographs from very early in service (c'70-'71 say) show the Extra Dark Sea Grey grey

The other interesting question is whether the  UK33B/1527 Dlossy Dark Sea Gray that McDonnell Douglas used was the same as our BS381C/638 Dark Sea Grey, I suspect slight shade difference.

2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

My understanding is that they were delivered from McDonnell Douglas in the lighter grey but were quicly refinished in the EDSG, but I can't find tangible evidence of when.

I don't know if that involved all deliveries either, as many photographs from very early in service (c'70-'71 say) show the Extra Dark Sea Grey grey

The other interesting question is whether the  UK33B/1527 Dlossy Dark Sea Gray that McDonnell Douglas used was the same as our BS381C/638 Dark Sea Grey, I suspect slight shade difference.

Chally 

33B/1527 is not a paint colour standard,   it is a British military Section and  Reference number for gloss BS381C/638 Dark Sea Grey.   In the RAF/RN If you  wanted to paint something DSG or needed some paint to touch up the existing aircraft paintwork you would order the correct colour paint from the UK military  stores system using this stock number.

There were probably several different numbers relating to DSG, based on quantity required, if you needed to touch up you would demand say  a 1 pint can of DSG paint under one 33B number, if you were repainting an aircraft you would order say 20 gallons of DSG that would be a different 33B number.

So other  than paint  manufacturing tolerances there would definitely not be any difference on shade in the DSG paint.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I doubt the colours were spectrophotometrically matched fifty years ago. 

Still hoping somebody like Aerocraft see fit to make the chunkier FG.1 NLG leg as a drop-in replacement. 

Tony 

@71chally James I've had a look in the Phantom mod list and the only mention of the change to EDSG in it is this, highlighted in yellow, unfortunately there is no date! unless it's there and I've missed it, I don't speak military :) 

bcjnZD.jpg

John  

Edited by canberra kid
missing words
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1