1:48 B-24 conversions & replacement vac canopies

brewerjerry

Hi

Mods if off topic or duplicate please delete and my apologies 

found on e bay a seller producing new b-24 conversion stuff 

https://m.ebay.com/sch/109ace/m.html?_trksid=p3692&fbclid=IwAR07z9Ve41VCawoXmEGigXTB1XOQ3rZU4p_B_6hZR2tAce7H-93SFpAG4oI

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/pb4y-2-privateer-teaser-shots-1-48-conversion-for--t504533.html?sid=c2da57fa9192ccb062f91e01e6eab902

i have no connection to seller, but i thought it may interest some BM'ers 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the casting looks sketchy. Old skool engines that were all the rage in the early 1990's. Caveat emptor boys. (e.g. Great Wall Hobby P-61 engines and cowlings. :shrug:)

His stuff is very inexpensive, but . . . he does make aftermarket for the Monogram fanboys. I have a nice stash of Tamiya and Hasegawa P-47s and no desire to buy an ancient Monogram kit plus aftermarket for it.

The vac canopies are great, The resin is okay but not very detailed. If you want to do one that is externally okay his products fit the bill but very lacking in detail and he has stated it was not worth his time to add the details as those that wanted it could add it themselves and those that didn't   he would give them an externally correct model at least on the PB4Ys. He concentrates on ease of building more than detail and accuracy. Lone Star has a much more detailed PB4Y-1 conversion and is bringing out a full PB4Y-2 in 1/48.

Edited by Hub Plott

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Hub, do you think either group used the Koster vac conversion(s) as a basis for the resin kits? Thank you and let us know how that B-36 is going. 

I am not sure.  Lone star will issue a full kit not a conversion.  The other one may have used the old concise model and graphics resin conversion as a starting point but it us hard to tell from the pictures. I have used that guy for some vacuform replacement canopies and been pleased. The resin sets where put in a drawer to stay as I was not impressed.  The B-36 slumbers until I retire. As to PB4Y-2s and 1s, I'm going with Lone Star as the detail level is vastly superior and better casting quality. 

7 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Hub, do you think either group used the Koster vac conversion(s) as a basis for the resin kits? Thank you and let us know how that B-36 is going. 

Again I am not sure if either used the Koster kit as a starting point. Based on the pictures of the ebay vendor's conversion, I think he may have used the older resin Concise Models and Graphics PB4Y-2 conversion as a starting point but that is from just looking at the pictures.

I read here that Kosters molds were sold to Resin2detail. But this is months ago now and have not heared anything about since. Regarding Lone Stars I was always a bit put off by the website and the pictures (poor quality - they do not give justice to the parts). But the parts I ordered were actually very nice and the service is very good as well.

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

I read here that Kosters molds were sold to Resin2detail. But this is months ago now and have not heared anything about since. Regarding Lone Stars I was always a bit put off by the website and the pictures (poor quality - they do not give justice to the parts). But the parts I ordered were actually very nice and the service is very good as well.

Mike is supposed to be upgrading his website so that should improve. Resin2Detail did buy Koster but as of yet, nothing has re-surfaced.

Edited by Hub Plott
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hub Plott said:

I sold one for $1799

Hello Hub Plot,

How was that conversion close up? Did it have engraved panel lines and were the castings of good quality? How were the clear parts? By the way, a Cutting Edge F4H-1 is starting at $675.00 on ebay right now:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Cutting-Edge-48494-F4H-1-Phantom-Conversion-New-Complete-Unstarted/143217269138?hash=item21586a1992:g:e-gAAOSw0ntctYQo

The CE Privateer conversion was quite good for the time. As I recall it did not have engraved lines but was really clean and captured the subtle shapes of the original, but it was not light and needed metal landing gear.  I think the Koster vac is nice as well without the heavy weight. Frankly I think both conversions are excellent but wish I had snapped up the CE back in 2005 when Dave debuted it at the NATS. 

56 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Hello Hub Plot,

How was that conversion close up? Did it have engraved panel lines and were the castings of good quality? How were the clear parts? By the way, a Cutting Edge F4H-1 is starting at $675.00 on ebay right now:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Cutting-Edge-48494-F4H-1-Phantom-Conversion-New-Complete-Unstarted/143217269138?hash=item21586a1992:g:e-gAAOSw0ntctYQo

CE conversion has recessed panel lines and clear resin parts. Excellent casting quality. You still needed the Koster high hat Martin turrets as CE did not include them.

It’s remarkable that the Privateer has been ignored by the manufacturers in 1/48 scale. Privateers fought in five major wars with three air forces. In Korea they flew the most difficult night interdiction missions over mountainous terrain. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:06 PM, 28ZComeback said:

It’s remarkable that the Privateer has been ignored by the manufacturers in 1/48 scale. Privateers fought in five major wars with three air forces. In Korea they flew the most difficult night interdiction missions over mountainous terrain. 

I completely agree. It would also be nice to see an A-5A Vigilante (the A-5A is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built) and the early version He-111's in 1/48.

16 hours ago, Hobo said:

I completely agree. It would also be nice to see an A-5A Vigilante (the A-5A is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built) and the early version He-111's in 1/48.

The line up of Meteor Productions was quite great IMHO - so much that many of the resin sets seem to be highly missed not only by me. What puzzles me is that it takes other company so long to close the still existing gaps (now 11 years). Lockheed U-2 A to S sets are another example which are almost completely missed (which is only in as much understandable as the Testors U-2C has not been produced for many years). Hmm... ups - sorry I am very much getting off-topic .

On 4/23/2019 at 3:03 AM, Masinissa said:

Some of the casting looks sketchy. Old skool engines that were all the rage in the early 1990's. Caveat emptor boys. (e.g. Great Wall Hobby P-61 engines and cowlings. :shrug:)

His stuff is very inexpensive, but . . . he does make aftermarket for the Monogram fanboys. I have a nice stash of Tamiya and Hasegawa P-47s and no desire to buy an ancient Monogram kit plus aftermarket for it.

Hi

yeah they do look basic, but the price temps me for the 'bigger ' parts of a conversion that are harder to do

I ordered a westland whirlwind canopy to see what the quality is like 

cheers

jerry 

58994534-2146490532100737-67993190937248

On 4/23/2019 at 5:03 AM, Masinissa said:

My sets were never conceived or intended for you and others with Hasegawa and Tamiya kits. They are for the thousands of old Monogram, Hawk, Revell kits sitting in closets and storage rooms gathering dust. a cheap, fun way to bring new life to them. Who buys a $40 Tamiya Skyraider to kit bash into a Monogram? Nobody but me! If I did it for my own personal gratification, that would be daft. But I did to share with others. 

I get praise for bringing some fun to the hobby and giving new life to old, formerly unloved kits. I have sets that improve the Monogram ( and others too ) Skyraiders, B-26, Me109G, Me262, B-24, and many others. I give a modeler with a bunch of poorly engineered and outdated Me109G kits a chance to learn kitbashing by turning that model into a sweet display piece by giving it a better nose, articulated wings, and even a Erla built G-10 conversion. Currently the only game in town if you want that special bird in your collection.  Over 25 parts and only $18.00. It's a price of a diner out for two, to a fast food joint.

Edited by Kevin Martin
  • Like 3

And while we're on the subject of B-24s, Once I have this Privateer shipping and out the door, I will be releasing a RAF Coastal Command Liberator that will give the modeler a Bolton Paul type5 quad gun rear turret, lower retractable radome, nose rocket sponson wings, Leigh Light, and seamless domed Consolidated nose turret. All this fun for $30.00 plus actual lowest shipping. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hofner. Looking forward to the PB4Y-2. While we are on the subject of Revell, the Ventura is the only 1/48 multi engine kit without an interior. I would surely be interested in one if you were to produce an interior. Thank you 

20 hours ago, hofnerbassman said:

58994534-2146490532100737-67993190937248

My sets were never conceived or intended for you and others with Hasegawa and Tamiya kits. They are for the thousands of old Monogram, Hawk, Revell kits sitting in closets and storage rooms gathering dust. a cheap, fun way to bring new life to them. Who buys a $40 Tamiya Skyraider to kit bash into a Monogram? Nobody but me! If I did it for my own personal gratification, that would be daft. But I did to share with others. 

I get praise for bringing some fun to the hobby and giving new life to old, formerly unloved kits. I have sets that improve the Monogram ( and others too ) Skyraiders, B-26, Me109G, Me262, B-24, and many others. I give a modeler with a bunch of poorly engineered and outdated Me109G kits a chance to learn kitbashing by turning that model into a sweet display piece by giving it a better nose, articulated wings, and even a Erla built G-10 conversion. Currently the only game in town if you want that special bird in your collection.  Over 25 parts and only $18.00. It's a price of a diner out for two, to a fast food joint.

Hello hofnerbassman,

I wish you the very best with your business. Please keep the conversions coming.

Edited by Hobo