1:48 B-24 conversions & replacement vac canopies

brewerjerry

On 4/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, hofnerbassman said:

58994534-2146490532100737-67993190937248

My sets were never conceived or intended for you and others with Hasegawa and Tamiya kits. They are for the thousands of old Monogram, Hawk, Revell kits sitting in closets and storage rooms gathering dust. a cheap, fun way to bring new life to them. Who buys a $40 Tamiya Skyraider to kit bash into a Monogram? Nobody but me! If I did it for my own personal gratification, that would be daft. But I did to share with others. 

I get praise for bringing some fun to the hobby and giving new life to old, formerly unloved kits. I have sets that improve the Monogram ( and others too ) Skyraiders, B-26, Me109G, Me262, B-24, and many others. I give a modeler with a bunch of poorly engineered and outdated Me109G kits a chance to learn kitbashing by turning that model into a sweet display piece by giving it a better nose, articulated wings, and even a Erla built G-10 conversion. Currently the only game in town if you want that special bird in your collection.  Over 25 parts and only $18.00. It's a price of a diner out for two, to a fast food joint.

You run a business and you're charging $125 for your Privateer conversion. Good for you, but you're out in the marketplace and the consumer has the right to squeeze the cantaloupes, taste the food, and review your products. You live in a world of Yelp, Rottentomatoes.com, and dozens of online modeling websites, forums, and YouTube Channels. Grow a thicker skin. I looked carefully at the photos you posted of your conversion parts and I once had the Koster conversion which I sold on eBay for half what you're asking. The Koster conversion is superior, but it was made by the legend Bill Koster.

You make basic conversions with old style one piece engine fronts that are crude by today's standards. You're happy with them and you have customers that are happy with them. But everyone has the right to be informed and use a critical eye to understand what they're buying. Other aftermarket manufacturers make update sets for the old Monogram P-61 and B-24 that are state of the art. If Great Wall hadn't made a new tool P-61 then yes I'd spend money on the Vector update parts for the Monogram P-61 because they're very nice. 

If you take offence that I looked at your products, and determined that they're sketchy and not executed well, then you own your own emotional response to my criticism. You can't claim you are an altruist when you decided to start a business and not an aftermarket charity for old Monogram kits. You certainly aren't giving away your work are you?

The old Monogram Bf-109G-10 sold for about $18; now add your conversion and that's $36. For an extra $12 you can buy a new tool Bf-109G-10 Erla when it's released from Eduard.  (Yes I have the old crude Monogram 1/48 Bf-109G-10. I'll be using it as a paint mule. I have accepted the fact that I didn't spend my money wisely purchasing that kit.) A helpful hint: fix the casting on your Bf-109G Erla tail there's too much shrinkage and it results in a step between the kit's plastic and your tail. 

I know you'll get angry about what I just said, but calm down. I never got mad or disappointed when I was a Medical Student and the Chief of Surgery critiqued the way I was tying sutures, but then that was a matter of life and death. Dr. Carnavale told me to make my work look like it came straight out of a perfect Medical Illustration from a Surgical textbook. 

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, hofnerbassman said:

And while we're on the subject of B-24s, Once I have this Privateer shipping and out the door, I will be releasing a RAF Coastal Command Liberator that will give the modeler a Bolton Paul type5 quad gun rear turret, lower retractable radome, nose rocket sponson wings, Leigh Light, and seamless domed Consolidated nose turret. All this fun for $30.00 plus actual lowest shipping. 

Hi

I want .....👍👍

please update here when it is available

cheers 

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

On 4/30/2019 at 2:10 AM, Caerbannog said:

Hi Hofnerbassman,

:welcome:to the forum.

As already mentioned above your shipping fees on ebay are very Ok - especially compared to other vendors. However do you only sell via ebay or do you also have a website or so?

Rene

I sell direct through my Facebook group "Models By109ace". Joining is easy. And there is a 10% discount an all items purchased direct from me and not on Ebay..

Edited by Kevin Martin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a few months and my Privateer has been out for about 6 or 7 weeks now. Been a great seller. There is a guy on Youtube whom has built a Privateer using my set. The whole process is available in 8 episodes. Here is the 8th episode featuring the final product. The Privateer is currently available on Ebay. Easy to find. Just search "Privateer 1/48".  Selling for $140 plus actual weight based shipping fees. No markups to cover my time, gas, padding my wallet like so many other sellers do. Shipping is calculated to each address shipped.