Defiant Target Tug 1/48

jenko

Simple question.

Is any one doing or going to be doing a conversion set for the Airfix kit to make a Target Tug ????

Cheers

Dick

1 hour ago, jenko said:

Simple question.

Is any one doing or going to be doing a conversion set for the Airfix kit to make a Target Tug ????

Cheers

Dick

Nothing rumoured.

The Classic Airframes kit can't be that hard too get either.    The other point,  Defiant TT were either based on the Mk.I or Mk.II airframe,  the CA kit supplies both noses for the different engines.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ca/kit_ca_482.shtml

Note, if you did the TT based on the Mk.I, then the leftover nose/rad could do a Defiant Mk.II.... 

Point here is a TT conversion would either be a simple one, to make the TT based on the Mk.I,  or probably need a new fuselage etc, to make a TT based on the Mk.II,  which would limit the possibilities of markings.

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Kits/Aircraft/ca_48_defiant_tt/ca_48_defiant_tt.htm

A quick burst of Defiant factoids relevant to this kit:

The external visual differences between the Defiant Mk.I and Mk.II included the nose, prop, exhaust stacks, oil cooler, radiator, and rudder.

The TT.I derived from the Mk.II, first converted on the production line, then new production, and finally conversions of existing Mk.II.

The TT.III was a conversion of existing Mk.I, however, some TT.III(Mk.I) were upgraded to TT.I(Mk.II) standards, particularly the larger radiator.

Regardless of TT.I and TT.III designation, there were two equipment variations:

A storage box under the rear fuselage for larger and/or multiple targets. If no storage box, then the observer just dropped (smaller) targets out the bottom.

A windmill-driven winch usually used for the larger ground/sea-to-air targets or a faster electric winch usually used for smaller air-to-air targets.

I suspect the TT.I was commoner,  which makes a bigger conversion needed for the Airfix kit.  I maybe wrong,  just running through the intricacies of a possible conversion,  which maybe of help for others.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi

i imagine a CA kit wouldnt be far off the price of any new production resin conversion kit with decals that is ever produced

and if not wanted no doubt someone would buy the spare mkIi nose 

there are a few on e bay now 

cheers

jerry