Eduard Fokker DVII...1/72nd scale...!!!!!

John Masters

It has finally happened....Eduard has released the DVII in 1.72nd scale...the first is the Library Edition post-war Czech air force and the second will be a profile pack from WW1.  

I am hoping that Hannants will have the Library Edition soon...I have pre-ordered the other.  

Good things do come to those who wait (and suffer with Roden)

--John

Is the Roden so bad? I just (well, a few months ago) bought one, though I haven’t seen it yet... Well, in the worst case it was cheaper than a decal set. 

Looking forward to see Eduard’s take. I have built a few of their 72nd scale Great War machines and they have all been fabulous kits.

30 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Is the Roden so bad?

The simple answer...yes.  Although the level of detail is lovely, little of the kit actually fits together well.  

I expect the Eduard kits to be a welcome change.

• Like 1

The 1/72nd Roden kits have one major problem, the lower wing fit being too tight. It takes about 2 minutes to file enough plastic away from the wing  ends and fuselage sides, then it's fine.

The decals, OTOH, are usually very hard to use.

Paul.

• Like 3

Let's not forget that the stabilizer doesn't fit well, the landing gear 'wing' is too small, the landing gear struts are too short (or too long, I can't remember)...the list goes on.  I have built so many of the Roden kits through the past 10 years I have lost most of my hair.  There is a resin correction kit from Loon Models that includes all the above corrected for the Roden kit, but even that requires some surgery on the fuselage to make the lower wing for correctly.  

And, yes...the decals are wonderfully diverse, colourful and mostly they stink, especially the lozenge camouflage.  

• Haha 2

I'm guessing this kit should set the new bench mark for D VII kits, one would hope anyway. Other than the Roden kit we seem to have only had the old Revell & the Mac Distribution kits, are these older ones so bad taking into account cost & availability to me? 
Steve.

I'm betting Eduard will set the new standard for this type, like they have for the Spitfire VIII/IX. 

As I understand, the old Revell mold wasn't too bad for outline accuracy, but of course is simple and crude when it comes to details. And the fabric is over-pronounced, like all their WWI subjects. I think it was also the major basis for kits by some other forgotten manufacturers (ESCI, Fuji, Eldon, Nichimo, Sunny).

Anybody have an opinion on the Mac Distribution kits?

2 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Where do you get the info by the way?

The Hannants site has the OAW Fokker listed in 'Future Releases' and here...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-fokker-dvii-oaw--1195949#

and here...

https://aerodynamicmedia.com/eduard-fokker-d-vii/

36 minutes ago, Herb said:

I'm betting Eduard will set the new standard for this type

I concur.  Thank the gods of modelling!

37 minutes ago, Herb said:

an opinion on the Mac Distribution kits

They are not too bad.  The fit is very good and although they might lack in some detail they build up quite well.  They are not perfectly outline accurate but I am willing to overlook some of that.  The decals are good quality although you'll need some aftermarket goods for lozenge.  

• Thanks 2

On 4/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, Herb said:

Anybody have an opinion on the Mac Distribution kits?

I have built their D.VII and it's not a bad kit. I replaced the struts with plastic rod, and the engine with a spare Roden one (how ironic!). Also have a couple more of theirs including the Bristol Scout and Pfalz D.III.

Ian

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 3:52 AM, Torbjorn said:

Is the Roden so bad? I just (well, a few months ago) bought one, though I haven’t seen it yet... Well, in the worst case it was cheaper than a decal set. 

Looking forward to see Eduard’s take. I have built a few of their 72nd scale Great War machines and they have all been fabulous kits.

Well as I recall from many a Roden kit you'll probably need a new decal sheet anyway as Rodens are generally ...er...not good. Kit was a little bugger as well!

On 4/18/2019 at 6:09 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks for the link!  I have not been this excited in a long time.

They are now available in Eduard’s web shop (including just the plastic parts for about half the price of the package). Postage costs from Eduard seems to have soared though. I suppose it won’t be long until Hannants get them too.

Edited by Torbjorn

Yes...mine are on their way!  I doubt I will use the decals.  I have some really excellent DVII OAW decals plus the superb Aviatik lozenge.

Very excited indeed.  We might have to have a  Static Fokker DVII GB next year...DVII from the beginning through the 1920s, 30s...Just a crazy idea!

• Like 1

Mine are not. On the way that is - I had a couple on backorder but decided to adhere to my strict build-3-buy-1 diet.  

The thread made me dig out that Roden kit in anticipation though - so far my impression is terrific detail, terrible fit. I’d love to hear your opinion how Eduard compares (with the detail I mean, the fit is surely incomparable).

And please someone do start a GB :)

As I wanty wanty these I went over to my favourite model; shoppe to get the 2 I ordered. I was not disappointed AND there is more to come as well. Folk may querie the lozenge decals but I would use them. Also you will get extra bits plus photo etch, markings for J19, J62, J12, J13 and J18. 

All for £12.99. What a bargain.!!!

That would probably be an aftermarket thing to do.  I am waiting for the Royal Class kit myself but I would imagine that they will stay with WW I and immediate post war European markings, although I am hoping for either a US Army or Marines option.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1