Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby

Jonny

I’ve just spent a couple of hours looking at a series of YouTube videos of ongoing work on NX611 at The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby.

It’s absolutely fascinating!  Among other things I’ve watched dedicated professionals working on reskinning the port fin, servicing a fuel guage, replacing the port side formation lights to working condition (Red / Amber / Green, now LEDs), and soon to be followed by the starboard side, repolishing a navigation light cover to clarity, servicing the pilot’s instrument panel, removing no. 2 fuel tank, and more.  Having experienced the privilege of a ‘taxi ride’ in Just Jane / NX611 about 14 years ago I can appreciate the work being put into maintaining her, AND preparing her ready for flight status.

A surprise was to see a frontal view of a Halifax cockpit in the background.  It seems the good folk in East Kirkby are constructing a Halifax cockpit, too.  I’ve had a walk-through of YAM’s reconstruction of ‘Friday the 13th’ at Elvington but for me, at least, East Kirkby is closer.  All this, as well as seeing the prospect of seeing again the Mosquito NF.iII which relocated from Elvington to East Kirkby last year, makes this a ‘MUST SEE’ for 2019.

Do have a look at the YouTube videos.  All those I’ve just watched are dated March and April 2019.

Enjoy!

Jonny

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

I understand that the Halifax cockpit is the fantastic one that Cees Broere built in the Netherlands.

That alone is a reason to go back to East Kirkby soon!

It may very well be - the videos I watched on YouTube were focusing on the work being done on NX611 / Just Jane in preparation for this year’s taxi rides and for future flight.  As you say, VV, good reason to revisit East Kirkby!