Duxford Uncovered April 2019

Hi

I spent an interesting hour this morning at Duxford for the Duxford Uncovered, Historic Site Tour.

I had some time to explore Hangar 2 (the flying aircraft hangar) before the tour started. This to me was the real "uncovered", as I love to see these wonderful machines with panels off!

6h9OILe7bO5rGFb5k_HGqq5Qzyv4aeIdCAr6gt4m

E1euCnGq7LuHVfjGgaP5xivABlZ3mrZs26fqqmm4

cD-MhMKLk94M9t_xkEKlfUKQ0H5mf5uFwGb_s0SP

zt7kICUgzHK1im6TOyv9wNHbA6uGd_pJ-trdpA0j

zdmNpjUMtK7pMuu-7r1dwfZOhPCQFE6c5ontersO

eFMIFcYhHlwWXj0-DKhBqckSxdSWeGu0h4h0dofj

-QLc0sPcOntDkY84jtigwsvs4c8IwcrekPOrthRp

Oi3r8i6Tj6K1Q0hN_HPX09lG480yIoNFlib9wtpz

mkk-bsM3CP9oDZEEl95ogV_7i5RxsmNHzl6PSHH6

lykZG9nEzpkdBrrnEimo3Ye_4j4S-bcpazH7jRT_

_ZgSYzUMXIIALxX7k5VF2iFgGOzs2ri2CA-AedA4

3MXkz_7kdVPZygMwD_KnZpP9Z0hxmaO7lGBzsDZB

yHQRYt1m7G5KtaQTvbng-ZI1-pOSzp4HP6gTaLdR

4QSKlQiSa1pQN4q-_P0ThpgRMpnZGMUBlcX9C8ZG

MlKDKOTKXvr3MNzU0Uo_rYK3fc2xNh352z7j3sZW

SitMDhYgV6j7MVC4hfb_DnG66WDTKO9vdSVjtl4s

p34hxwwdp8VgYBEhFguc9B--IAbhUD7cbAvwNjkD

S2TdLHjhQ6UhiQk9sAzO8g68nBVyMwQpAQSAFFa2

FP1K-9rYpCMhUBu1H53YKTTqsWuX3ORgkusauk3k

0nAH8d9zFMPzp_0S-jDqQ4XKqdpwfyaUlmvkimDF

TXoor_avNsT0OTikapEPCaOKrrt2mPe0UUTolKjJ

2GE2iil62kbgc-D71XG55vogM_kVgwB5GTS5aKSn

zcTdNnGquEOrqATQ5UTwqLrEAQIXpWuQ40OaTfUm

vtUwn2N5PYyoCIpgBTGp2034ylgIVF13AmCzuT08

GW63ApmCgyEczFZ7sRla57qVXgABeFeylfT8YRWX

And now onto the tour of the North Camp, all pictures taken from the small electric vehicle.

BLDQU17x0bVs7xERyvajBcP2bjAfQJKFioxOooG_

View from parade ground towards 1933 T-type barrack block

JKsTdRmixVwVdIZH217pMke_otmsOaIHAoKA9S0m

View from parade ground towards rear of 1932 Sergeants' Mess

hPcC-G8jbD6obFkBua3rAZJqDg9T3ke2umxC1eL9

View from the rear of a 1933 "T-type" barrack block across the parade ground towards another "T-type" barrack block

X_QA8vpieDpGuunqm6BMQuUuEWzYaHDa8C7tcFsd

View from the rear of a 1933 "T-type" barrack block across the parade ground towards the Sick Bay (centre), the rear of the Sergeants' Mess (left) and another "T-type" barrack block (right)

XPnWvAmxZkm1bNmwGv8UlA3qSJ0lz98eHUrgf13h

1939 Gas Decontamination Building

e4W-o-xBrhVEaGyaSzAxCE1PvHfc7X9wqzBmPULZ

View of Corporals' and Airmens' Dining Hall (left) and unknown building (right)

1ioeMt0SgpLMUAgXljq5FAkrS8AndFqoPs9CcEwb

View of 1938 Central Heating Station (right) with unknown building (left)

pkPqVOcEyUPS1nNJ-o3n53Hr6sTQkw5B-Hj6hpz8

View of Stand By Set House. (Generators were stored in this building as stand by power in case of mains electrical failure.)

l0tFlpQquv8lP8GT9GzDsyVLXwSY3DsgZwD3SAnB

Original De Havilland Aircraft Company Office from the Stag Lane Aerodrome, Edgware

pZl7UTDdF1QEFnXNx2x2bCmkZg4q4ICp6gh33ZTn

Sole survivor of four Barrack Block Type 8/84 "H-Blocks"

dH8XcSnJtiNxuu3Ws-SyTdf9fM_lmWeP52ZwHM84

Single Officers' Quarters, which is the only surviving building from 1917 on the domestic site

Thanks for looking.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

If so is there actually anything left at Hendon?

loads.  the main bit and Bomber Command hall have not had the 'makeover'  as yet, and are still pretty much what I liked about Hendon.  Planes, not much else.  And you can now get very close to Hurricane and bf109E :) 

The Typhoon now has a full rocket load, and has acquired some Tempest wheels.....

But in one room you have a Hind, Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest V AND Tempest II.... plus a Hunter,  so they nearly have  the Camm Hall back,  what did they do with that Sea Fury .... 

Cosford now has the Ju-88, Defiant, from the Bob hall, maybe the Blenheim? 

The BoB hall has been replaced or remodelled, and is now the entrance.   That is not very interesting,  and has the hand of a curator and is all touchy feely and inclusive...  

Just hope they leave the main bit 'as is' 

Didn't get round to the WWI bit in time,  the other nit that was the history of flight is now a cold war/modern bit,  I liked the Gulf War Buccaneer,  as it's preserved in an 'as is' state.  

Cheers

T

• Like 2

I agree absolutely about RAFM Hendon.  The  new 'Entrance' is rubbish - even the shop is poor, and I'm glad Hannants was open when I went to Hendon last month.  I dread the thought of any further 'makeover' of the remaing halls.

The Graham White / WW1 display is still OK although when I went I couldn't find the way to the 1st floor obsevation gallery.  I found the ligthting was poorly positioned if one wanted to take photos of the suspended aeroplanes.

I was told by a well-meaning attrendant that the Museum has been 'improved'.  Frankly I find it difficult to see how - more outside picnic areas might appeal but  if I visit I simply want to see the aeroplanes, not sit on grass with a Thermos and sandwich!  What they've done to the Sunderland (i.e. cut short the float struts to prevent some idiot walking into the floats, removing access to the interior) is diabolical.  Ho hum.

I'm becoming more and more of the view that Museums such as Newark, YAM,.Norfolk and Suffolk, Bentwaters Cold War Museum, and others, offer much more interesting and worthwhile visiting opportunities  than the likes of IWM Duxford and the RAFM Hendon variety. The independents are run by real enthusiasts who CARE, not by people who see them as money  generators, no more.  I emailed ARCo at Duxford about a particular aeroplanre and received a detailed explanation by return.  Contrast that with a simple request to IWM (I'm a Member at the moment) regarding the open cockpit evenings that used to be arranged by Friends of Duxford, and a reply some time later to the effect that none are planned ... but I must remember my 'Membership' includes  opportunities to  visit IWM North (hugely expensive to reach)  HMS Belfast, the War Rooms (both expensive to reach),  blah blah.

Rant mode OFF'

Jonny

• Like 1

The FIAT is not the Hendon one! The Fighter Collection have this one restored to airworthy state. It's another airframe!

Troy, the Hendon Sea Fury went to the TFC years ago!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calum said:

Are the period buildings in the OP's images still used? If so what for.

Thanks for the comments and likes, gentlemen.

Calum, the tour guide told us that most of the buildings are used to store IWM artefacts, or provide office space for IWM staff while the Officers' Mess houses a business centre and cafe.

• Like 1