Have been steadily applying decals over the last week:

20190817_171004

If you're wondering why only the port wing leading edge is metal, I used Fantasy Printshop silver strip decals (these still need tidying up on the underside) and have yet to do the starboard side.  Yes Ian, I could have used Authentic Airliners metal decals but these are a lot cheaper and I can keep that sheet intact for the Mustang group build at the end of the year!

The cockpit is still causing some head scratching; the Authentic decals are slightly smaller than those from 26 and don't match the shape of the cheat line (and those in the kit are yet another slight variation).  Am wondering if I might be able to use the 26 cockpit decals (black windows + silver outlines) and then discard the frames from the Authentic set.  They won't quite match but did something similar on my VC-10s last year and it's not visible to the naked eye.  Of course, had I chosen the final KLM MD-11 livery with the narrow cheat line the cockpit wouldn't have ben an issue!

"Audrey Hepburn" was chosen as it was the first KLM MD-11 I flew on (AMS to YVR and return) and was also the aircraft on the last ever KLM MD-11 scheduled flight (from Montreal to Amsterdam) on 26 Oct 2014.

Mike

• Like 9

Looking reeeeallllly good, Mike. Not that this helps, but...I usually apply the cockpit decal first, then trim the cheat line around it, once it has dried thoroughly so as not to move it or rip it in any way. It’ll be interesting to see how you complete this important detail...I’m wanting to learn. Nice going so far!

• Like 1

Hi Mike, 

Looking good!

I seem to remember, now you mention the AA windscreen, that my one didn't fit on my MD11/DC10 Laker Skytrain conversion, it's another problem though, I think the two front panes are a different size to the kit. Obviously they're designed for the AA kit. But if you're going to do some jiggery pokery with it anyway I'm sure you'll make it work. I think I scanned it into Inkscape and stretched it a little and got it to fit. To be honest it's a year and a half ago and I can't remember the details!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Looking reeeeallllly good, Mike. Not that this helps, but...I usually apply the cockpit decal first, then trim the cheat line around it, once it has dried thoroughly so as not to move it or rip it in any way. It’ll be interesting to see how you complete this important detail...I’m wanting to learn. Nice going so far!

Am I correct in thinking that you apply the cheat line so it slightly overlaps the cockpit and then, when dry, presumably cut the cheat line to match the cockpit and lift the overlapping part with say Microset?

On this aircraft I'm not sure if that would have worked - the bottom of the cheat line has to align with an obvious panel line level with the bottom of the doors.  If the Authentic decal is then applied to line up with the kit moulding at the top edge of the cockpit, then there is a slight but noticeable difference in shape / gap at the bottom of the cockpit.  I'm still scratching my head on this one and in the meantime have been painting wheels and the hot sections of the engines.

Mike

26 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Am I correct in thinking that you apply the cheat line so it slightly overlaps the cockpit and then, when dry, presumably cut the cheat line to match the cockpit and lift the overlapping part with say Microset?

No, definitely not drying and lifting. That could be very hazardous. I think I have been mistaken in where your problem lies. I am not sure what I am implying...I have never built this particular kit, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I would suggest, however, that you stick to YOUR plan and experimenting. You'll get it right, I am sure. And I certainly want to know what you've done to get it correct.  I was just relaying to you the technique I have used on my models, and that this has worked for me. Going into building this kit, I will be tempted to use my own technique...but will most certainly willing to try something different if it brings accuracy to the real airplane. I have NOT built this particular kit, but hope to someday...and will, since yours is so inspirational. You're doing a bang-up job, and making things fit when they seemingly just will not. I'm learning from your journey...and happy to do so. 😉 And...by the way...I definitely wouldn't use Microset on Authentic Airliners decals. Doesn't have an effect. 

• Like 1

Wow - what a lovely KLM'er - I am a bit behind on the forum builds but are now in the process of hunting out all the civil builds that have been posted since April time so forgive me for over looking this superb assembly until now. If that is the Eastern Express MD-11 (which I suspect it to be) then you are a brave modeller as I would rather slit my wrists and watch all my life's blood drain away at my feet rather than have to go through another build of that kit. I made the KLM Eastern Express kit in American colours last year and spent more time trying to make it fit together than actually masking, painting and decaling it up. I was unfortunate to have purchased one of the kits whose box contents were different lengths and widths.

Anyway - your model looks 100% KLM, very Dutch and just so very perfect in the making

Lovely

DSCF8100

DSCF8102

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Wow - what a lovely KLM'er - I am a bit behind on the forum builds but are now in the process of hunting out all the civil builds that have been posted since April time so forgive me for over looking this superb assembly until now. If that is the Eastern Express MD-11 (which I suspect it to be) then you are a brave modeller as I would rather slit my wrists and watch all my life's blood drain away at my feet rather than have to go through another build of that kit. I made the KLM Eastern Express kit in American colours last year and spent more time trying to make it fit together than actually masking, painting and decaling it up. I was unfortunate to have purchased one of the kits whose box contents were different lengths and widths.

Anyway - your model looks 100% KLM, very Dutch and just so very perfect in the making

Lovely

Thanks for your comments - yes it is the Eastern Express version.

Your American Airlines version looks great, whatever problems you encountered obviously got solved!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some more work has been done in the last fortnight.

Firstly the cockpit windows; I used the 26 Decals outline windows and then cut the Authentic Airliner decals into 3 separate pieces and overlaid them. In this extreme close up there is a double frame outline but it is hardly noticeable at normal viewing distance

20191101_145106

Having fixed the main gear legs in place I found that my first attempt at a new nose leg was just a bit too short, so have done it again.  This time I used rod and tube to give a representation of the narrow oleo section and also added the two "bits" that stick out forwards on the leg.  Just primed and will be given a top coat soon if the rain holds off

20191101_144927

This time I've made the main leg and support strut far too long to allow them to be trimmed to the correct length (trial & error with a spirit level on the fuselage top).

Mike

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress, Mike! 👍 I hope you’ll manage the nose landing gear installation soon. Keep up the good work! 👏

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress, Mike! 👍 I hope you’ll manage the nose landing gear installation soon. Keep up the good work! 👏

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Like it!

1 hour ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

LOVE it!!! :penguin: Making my blood boil up to do one of these. So many builders are writing about its difficulty and challenges, but it seems everyone's processes and final presentations are outstanding and inspiring. 

36 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Love the MD11, looking very good in KLM colours

Thanks all,

Audrey is now sat on her legs and horiz stabs in place.  Just the engines to go tomorrow but, of course, there's a rugby match to watch first!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Almost fit for RFI but I need to either find the wing nav lights or make some from scratch.

20191122_154751

Not sure if the shade of blue is absolutely correct but I can find some photos where it looks the same, so I'm happy with the colour and will use it for future KLM builds.  In real life, the blue is  lighter than in the photo.

Sorry Phildagreek, meant to quote your post but somehow managed to quote mine!?

Edited by FortyEighter
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Stunning model. I have a DC-8-63 and 747-200 to build in KLM livery. Is the Tamiya TS-23 blue much lighter than as seen in your photo? 

I did a bit of research using photographs and diecast models and came up with Pantone solid coated shade 299C as a close match for the older KLM colour. No two models or photo references ever seem to match exactly. The difference between a fresh out the paint shop aircraft and one that has baked on tropical airport ramps and been exposed to ultra violet exposure at 35.00 feet for a few years can be considerable.

The lighter and brighter blue now used by KLM is available as a Volkswagen automotive paint, code LT5B "KLM blue" (yes they really call it that!) Picture of a van in the LT5B paint attached below for info.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bridgendvans.co.uk%2Ffiles%2Fcache%2F6fceca8e033b2a9a2d0f747a5a8dff4a_f17341.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

I have an Airbus A310 and DC-10-30 on my shelves, built years ago and painted with a concoction of Humbrol blues and white. They looked not too bad when newly painted, but looking at them now the light blue mix is somewhat lacklustre and rather dull compared with the luminous and vibrant shade used on the real aircraft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VictorMike said:

Stunning model. I have a DC-8-63 and 747-200 to build in KLM livery. Is the Tamiya TS-23 blue much lighter than as seen in your photo? 

Thanks for your comment.  It's a long time since I've really looked at this aircraft but having just compared the above photo to the actual model, yes the TS-23 is a lot lighter in real life.

Will try another photo in natural light tomorrow to see if it is a better match.

I never did find those wing nav lights!

I don't know if it helps - this photo taken outdoors today but still looking darker on screen than in real life.

20210829_144103

Comparing the model to photos on the net of KLM MD-11s I would say that TS-23 is darker than most shots of aircraft in the original livery and certainly darker than the van picture.

Some of the 11s in the revised (narrow cheat line) livery are a closer match as is the repaint of PH-KCE into the above scheme before it's retirement.

One website suggests that TS-23 is the same colour as X-14 (Sky Blue) - I've two jars of the latter which are close to the colour on my model but neither jar is exactly the same shade as the other!

So, I may not have been much more help if you are thinking of building a KLM model.

Mike

• Like 3

Mike, Thanks for posting the outdoors pic. Looks very close to the Pantone 299C solid coated blue shade I came up with.  I guess the answer is to pick an individual aircraft to model, find a load of pictures in different lighting conditions and go with the best average match. Somewhere around the late eighties/early nineties aircraft paint technology underwent a radical change and brighter hues started to appear.  At the end of the day as long as it looks right that is the main thing.  One minor consideration to bear in mind is that the paint should match or be reasonably close to any element of the decal in the same colour otherwise it will make the final model look a bit odd.

I dug out an ancient Airfix DC-9 yesterday in french blue and yellowed enamel white. If I can find a set of window decals, I have an Airfix KLM transfer issued in the 1980s I can use to give it a badly needed refurb and it can serve as a test bed for the new paint. Not sure if Airfix have given up on airline models or if there is a licensing issue with Boeing Corp, but the prices for second hand kits on ebay etc. is starting to get a bit silly so it makes sense to recycle where possible. 

I looked at Tamiya X-14 as well but agree it is not an exact match. Have you looked at the lighter TS-10 spray? Possibly it is too light even for the current livery.  

If you need a container scissor loader for your MD-11 take a look at Rocastmodels.com. Guillem has painted one of his kits up in KLM colours. Looks very impressive.

Dave

• Like 2