Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I

I have finally got around to uploading some photos of my Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I. I thought I had posted it last weekend before we went away for the week, only to discover today that I hadn't. So anyway, ready for inspection is my 1:72 Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.I, the aircraft is built in the night fighter scheme of N3328 of No. 151 Squadron, flown by Sgt J.L. Coulter (pilot) RAAF. There is a wealth of information about this aircraft online and film footage of the excavation of its crash site available on YouTube. I would like to thank Andy for emailing me the crash cards from the real aircraft, I aim to sit the build ontop of them once printed. The build is an out of the box build, the kit went together really well Airfix have done a fantastic job, the only variations I have made is using Vallejo acrylics, and mixing up a very dark grey/black for the aircrafts top coat. I hope I have done both the pilot and aircraft proud. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20190407_112433

IMG_20190407_112442IMG_20190407_112454IMG_20190407_112502IMG_20190407_112513IMG_20190407_112521IMG_20190407_1125372019-04-13_10-19-012019-04-13_10-19-18IMG_20190407_112530IMG_20190407_112557

• Like 29

Love the finish, and hate to be pedantic, but with the turret facing aft I think the coaming behind the turret should be retracted (so it lays flat). 

Love to see a Defiant. My Dad was on 141Sqdn in 1940/41 - never ever see 141 Sqdn aircraft modelled though....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul I said:

Love the finish, and hate to be pedantic, but with the turret facing aft I think the coaming behind the turret should be retracted (so it lays flat). 

Is that because it's on the ground?

Boulton_Paul_Defiant.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul I said:

Love to see a Defiant. My Dad was on 141Sqdn in 1940/41 - never ever see 141 Sqdn aircraft modelled though....

Paul,

I've got quite a bit a few 141 Squadron photos covering their time on Blenheims,  and later on Defiants, as I'm writing the history of the Defiant for Pen and Sword. As to the speed fairing, technically it could be in either position when parked, as it could be manually lowered via a lever in the turret. The system was operated by compressed air. As a matter of interest, I can check my photos to see if I have any of your father.

Regards 

Andy

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Paul I said:

and hate to be pedantic, but with the turret facing aft I think the coaming behind the turret should be retracted (so it lays flat). 

depends. the coamings move fast, but if the turret is turned  back,  it comes up for streamlining

_j8e-jpg.523974

there is film on youtube which shows how fast the fairings move

go to 2.14

@Shelliecool  Overall neat job

one glitch,  the roundels on the fuselage,  the one on the starboard side is right place, the one one the port is too far back.  They were factory applied and the codes were fitted round them.  This is true for most national markings as well.

Having (shock horror) actually completed a model recently,  may I suggest looking into bedding decals in Kleer,  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038987-bedding-decals-in-klear-future-or-equivalent/

as it really does hide carrier film and gives a 'painted on' look

see

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/&do=findComment&comment=3295605

I also found ground chalk pastels worked really for exhaust stains,  and they would be good for weathering the black,  and easy enough to wipe off if you don't like it.

Would be very good to do surface paint chalking.   

I have one of these I started, and then tried to thin the trailing edges of the wing, the one piece ailerons didn't like that, had to remove the detail, thin them and then make new tops from scored 5 thou plastic card.....  and, one of those no camera with charged batteries or the like moments and it went on hold..   Said kit sits in a box in storage.  Another I should retrieve..  

I really appreciate the builds you post,  and at how productive you are,  so hope the above of interest and some use for future builds.

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AndyL said:

Paul,

I've got quite a bit a few 141 Squadron photos covering their time on Blenheims,  and later on Defiants, as I'm writing the history of the Defiant for Pen and Sword. As to the speed fairing, technically it could be in either position when parked, as it could be manually lowered via a lever in the turret. The system was operated by compressed air. As a matter of interest, I can check my photos to see if I have any of your father.

Regards 

Andy

Andy - thanks (and to others) for the correction. I look forward to seeing the book, and it would be great to see if Dad is in your pix (he wasn't aircrew however..). How can we do that?

Curiouly, the very first image in the YouTube video was a TW coded 141 Sqdn Defiant after all that!

cheers

Paul

• Like 1

A very smart build there and a very nice personal connection. I agree that Airfix have a good job with the kit: your finishing does the kit justice. 

Thanks for sharing. 

P.

Edited by P.1127
Lack of proof reading...
  • Thanks 1