RN FAA Odyssey #1 Airfix Sea Vixen FAW.2

Guy

Having been a Navy brat and spent some time in myself, I have always been fascinated by their aircraft but strangely always have built RAF models.  However this is about to stop and Fleet Air Arm all the way now, starting with the wonderful Sea Vixen which has always been a favourite of mine, probably because my father was on carriers. I vaguely remember going onboard HMS Eagle when she returned from the far east in 1972 and seeing these mighty beasts has left a lasting impression. So the fun begins !

46682106305_3b7fd53233.jpg

Edited by Guy
  • Like 10

• Guy changed the title to RN FAA Odyssey #1 Sea Vixen FAW.2
  • Guy changed the title to RN FAA Odyssey #1 Airfix Sea Vixen FAW.2
  • 2 weeks later...

Next step some filling and sanding of the wing surfaces as Airfix have kindly left some raised areas as well some dimples·

32742880287_c9940f9c2f.jpg

Edited by Guy
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I'll tag a long if I may, and I still have a plan to finish mine, promise! 

I have been watching yours for a while as inspiration so I am looking forward to it being completed !

Hopefully Friday if the weather is good,  will head over to the Midland Air Museum at Coventry to have a look at theirs.

42 minutes ago, Christer A said:

This looks a lot promising.

A great haul of AM goodies, and a solid start!

I'll tag a long if I may, and I still have a plan to finish mine, promise!

ho ho

:)

Guy that wingfold gear looks very nice, makes me pine for the same in 72 instead of having had to improvise

(Yes I am watching in)

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Guy that wingfold gear looks very nice

Yes, the challenge now is to make it look suitably grubby!

Does anyone know what colour the surface of the wing fold is painted in, light sea grey ?

My FAW1 was (unusually for me) depicted with spread wings, at the moment of picking up a wire, so I avoided the whole wing fold thing.  But Bill’s suggestion looks entirely sound to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, finally found that Light Admiralty Grey is available in the Lifecolor range (UA633) so just waiting for that to arrive. However, this weekend I need to pull my finger out and get back to moving this forwards.

• Like 2

Whilst some filler dries on the wings, a bit of a play with the self adhesive photo etch. Easier to put on that I expected but very easily chipped at the edges, some touching up required at an appropriate point. Must remind myself not to enlarge the image, all the flaws leap out 😩

48024820653_44e114e1cd.jpg

48024877407_3661438b63.jpg

Edited by Guy
  • Like 5

I have reached the end of my patience with tiny little bits, flying left and right then playing hide and seek and winning!

So this is as as far as I can go (a few levers missing in action), onto the seats next before this can be finished off. Although I say that and look at the images and see all the flaws .....

48029834246_f77a3c64de.jpg

48029940197_757bae1f9e.jpg

Edited by Guy
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Guy said:

I have reached the end of my patience with tiny little bits, flying left and right then playing hide and seek and winning!

So this is as as far as I can go (a few levers missing in action), onto the seats next before this can be finished off. Although I say that and look at the images and see all the flaws .....

48029834246_f77a3c64de.jpg

48029940197_757bae1f9e.jpg

TBH, I'd leave it there too, there's really not going to be much of it seen - good or bad - once installed!

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

TBH, I'd leave it there too, there's really not going to be much of it seen - good or bad - once installed! 

Quite right, it is the knowledge that something is not quite how you want it that ends up wasting so much time which could be spent on the bit's that people do see. 👍

Edited by Guy

• 1 month later...

Too much work gets in the way of doing more interesting things so slow progress.

Started working on the QuickBoost seats this morning and rapidly run up against the problem of how do I get those pull handles (for want to the real term) out of the resin encasing them without breaking them. After loosing the first as it pinged off into the distance when I cut resin and forgot to use some retaining force, I gave up and reached out for some fine wire to recreate them in what I hope will end up as being rather more realistic than the perfect circles that the supplied bits give.

48271650936_c41948e965.jpg

Edited by Guy
  • Like 6