Dungeon of Doom - Part Deux

I completed this display back in April 2016.

07. 1-Apr-16_DofD_w

But since then several of the figures have been raided for other projects;

01. DofD_02-Apr-2016

And seeing as the Dungeon itself has been exhibiting increasing signs of wear and tear, (after all, it's only constructed from foam and thick card), I decided to try and give it a new lease of life.

02. DofD_11-Apr-2019

The weathering still needs to be finished off, but I couldn't resist trying out possible layouts using a few of the original 70mm - 80mm characters and two or three new ones. 

03. DofD_13-Apr-2019

I might do something about the bags under the Arabian-type girl's eyes. Right now she looks like she's had too many late nights hitting the bhang-loaded hubbly-bubbly.

04. DofD_13-Apr-2019

Relocating Princess Jasmine to the right hand side of the display means I'll have to lengthen those chains so they can be fixed to the arch above her head - but that'll have to wait until I get

the opportunity for a snoop around the wife's dressing table and see if I can find anything suitable to use as miniature chains.

05. DofD_13-Apr-2019

The left hand side of the revamped display is going to remain pretty much the same, just with Thulsa Doom re-located up to the entrance instead of off to one side.

I did hum and hay a bit about reusing the Viking figure, but RE Howard included a couple of proto-Viking races in his Conan yarns, (the Vanir and the Aesir), so I reckoned he might as well remain where he is.

06. DofD_13-Apr-2019

A mate of mine suggested I use a mounted figure - he might have been pulling my leg, but you never know with the kind mates I have....🙄

However, I'm waiting for delivery of a new Demoness and two Dancing Vampires that are going into this wee project, so I tried a couple of mounted characters just to see how the figure locations would balance out.

07. DofD_12-Apr-2019

Took them out again after the photos were done, and my home office has now reverted back to its usual state of chaos.

08. DofD_12-Apr-2019

I'm hoping the new 75mm kit figures will be delivered end of next week, and it'll take around a further week to assemble and paint them. So that gives me plenty of time to remove all the characters

yet again, and finish off the weathering on the scenic, plus add a few more details. Meanwhile, the small display above the computer station has now been restored to its former glory.

09. DofD_12-Apr-2019

TO BE CONTINUED (as and when)

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 4

Well, this one is taking its own sweet time, probably because I have far too much going on at the same time.

E.G.

75MM Sun T'zu although I did get a bit more done on him today, at long last.

a. Sun T'zu_17-Apr-2019

A small 54mm display;

b. MoM_17-Apr-2019

And a whole bunch of other 54mm guys that are destined for a fantasy diorama;

c. Mongols & Byzantines

However, one of the additional figures for the Dungeon turned up yesterday, and I'm hoping the other two that are on order will be delivered over the next two or three days.

d. BBD_17-Apr-2019

Meanwhile, the new weathering on the floor slabs is finished and most of the 75mm figures are now fixed in their final locations.

f. DoD_17-Apr-2019

g. DoD_17-Apr-2019

TO BE CONTINUED

• Like 4

That's a great selection of figures, my friend. A real tibute to you building and painting skills. If I'm honest, I'm a bit envious of your abilities.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

That's a great selection of figures, my friend. A real tibute to you building and painting skills. If I'm honest, I'm a bit envious of your abilities.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.  

Thanks Chris.

I had last painted a model figure back when I was a teenager (early 1970's). Then decided to have another try at it in 2008 using cheap tube acrylics bought from Walmart.

What you see in these photos are the result of my progress since then. It's really all about practice and not being discouraged if you turn out the occasional "yech" -- as I still do.

Tell you what though, this is the last time I let so many half-done figures build up into the backload of stuff I presently have on my hands.

You start it; you finish it, is by far the best approach.

🙂

Cheers

H

2 minutes ago, Cadman said:

Thanks Chris.

I had last painted a model figure back when I was a teenager (early 1970's). Then decided to have another try at it in 2008 using cheap tube acrylics bought from Walmart.

What you see in these photos are the result of my progress since then. It's really all about practice and not being discouraged if you turn out the occasional "yech" -- as I still do.

Tell you what though, this is the last time I let so many half-done figures build up into the backload of stuff I presently have on my hands.

You start it; you finish it, is by far the best approach.

🙂

Cheers

H

Yep, actually finishing a model has been quite a challenge for me, for some years now....

Chris.  

Took another look at this and decided that both the Valkyrie and the Viking are over-dressed compared to the rest of the figures.

01. DoD_18-Apr-2019

So out they came.

Mind you, Thulsa Doom is also over-dressed compared to the rest of the figures, but there's no way he's coming out. After all, it's his dungeon.

I reckon the minimal look is better anyway. Less is more and all that.

02. DoD_18-Apr-2019

So after that, I made a start on cleaning up the cheeky wee Demoness and began putting her together. The assembly process was rather exciting seeing as there were two arms and a

right leg to pin and glue onto the main torso while juggling everything so's they'd fit all four contact points on that base of skulls, but I got there in the end. 

03. BBD_18-Apr-2019

Also made a slight, but important change to one of the details.

04. BBD_18-Apr-2019

So, assuming I can wriggle out of the weekly shopping mission to Walmart, and no natural disasters occur between now and then, it'll be time to break out the paintbrushes tomorrow.

05. BBD_18-Apr-2019

Cheers

H

• Like 2

Well, the 75mm Sun Tzu figure and everything else I'm presently working on got pushed to one side while I concentrated on the Little Demoness today.

Made more progress than I expected - and I'm really pleased with how her face is coming along.

I got into the habit of taking a series of photos as I work. I find it invaluable when I take a break and study them at a high magnification - helps me spot mistakes and areas that need to be improved.

Adding notes helps me remember what needs done when I head back to the workbench.

Postman Pat didn't deliver those 75mm Dancing Girls today - the ones I'm waiting for so I can wrap this project up and get on with something else.

Oh well, hope they're delivered tomorrow, or early next week.

Meanwhile....

01. BBD_19-Apr-2019

02. BBD_19-Apr-2019

03. BBD_19-Apr-2019

04. BBD_19-Apr-2019

05. BBD_19-Apr-2019

06. BBD_19-Apr-2019

07. BBD_19-Apr-2019

All in all, some very satisfying progress today.

Cheers

• Like 3

Did a bit more on the wee Demoness today.

She's nowhere near finished of course, but another two or three days should see her done.

Here's the today's progress photos from this morning through to early evening.

03. BBD_20-Apr-2019

05. BBD_20-Apr-2019

07. BBD_20-Apr-2019

08. BBD_20-Apr-2019

10. BBD_20-Apr-2019

• Like 3

Well, I surprised myself by getting this figure around 90% finished today.

01. BBD_21-Apr-2019

Not the best job I've ever done, but then she's going into a diorama where the minimum viewing distance will be 12-inches, if even as close as that, so she really doesn't have to be truly fandabiedozzie.

She'll be coming back off that base tomorrow while I finish off the skulls.

02. BBD_21-Apr-2019

Here's an extreme close-up of her face.  I reckon she looks not bad considering I only spent three days on it. I know they're difficult to see in the photo, but her eyes are

actually red with a black vertical slit for each pupil.

04. Extreme close up of face

And here she is placed in the diorama.

08. BBD_21-Apr-2019

Just as an aside, I probably won't do another indoor diorama after this. Finding 75mm figures that can be placed in a natural looking pose without their bases  is a pure pain.

With outdoor dioramas the bases can be incorporated into the groundwork, or the groundwork can be made to suit the pose.

Oh well, only three more figures to add to this one once Postman Pat turns up with them. They'll still have to be assembled and painted of course.

Cheers

H

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Colin.

I've actually now got plans to add a total of five new figures to the diorama, but delivery of orders from Europe is painfully slow at the moment. I'm hoping that at least two of them turn up this week so I can get on with the painting process while I'm waiting for the rest to show up. And there was me spouting off about less is more....

🙄

Meanwhile, I found a much better base in my spares box, so I took a hacksaw to the original one this morning.

Using a circular example means she can go into Doom's Dungeon at any angle I choose rather than be limited by a rectangular base.

01. BBD_22-Apr-2019

Ms Demoness isn't glued into position yet, so I got on with making the skulls look a bit more realistic, although they're not quite finished yet.

03. BBD_22-Apr-2019

I also increased the red and white highlights on her wings. The white overpaints, and the one on her left foot, will be fixed tomorrow.

04. BBD_22-Apr-2019

The additional skulls provide the opportunity to alter her pose so she's sitting slightly more upright, and I've got even more skulls available once I get around to placing them around her.

So, all in all, good progress today.

Cheers

H

Well, I cleaned up the overpaints on her wings today; added some slight detail to those "things" she's dangling from her dainty little fingers - and there's still more detail to go on them once I get around to it; and I've now done as much as I feel inclined with the Wee Bizzum for the time being. I'll finish off the small details and the new round base once the additional skulls I ordered from the UK turn up. 

02. BBD_23-Apr-2019

01. BBD_23-Apr-2019

• Like 2

So, that's the Demoness finished apart from one or two more gobs of gore and a coat of matte varnish - minor details which I'll attend to tomorrow morning while I've got the airbrush set up.

04. BBD_28-Apr-2019

01. BBD_28-Apr-2019

02. BBD_28-Apr-2019

03. BBD_28-Apr-2019

Next up for the reworked display are these two characters that I cleaned up and primed yesterday.

01. DVG_27-Apr-2019

• Like 1

Began slapping some paint on them this morning.

01. DVG_Lunchtime_28-Apr-2019

And this was as far as I got by lunchtime. Calling the blond girl "Quasidodo" might've been a Freudian slip, but I suspect it was more along the lines of a Senior Moment....😉

02. DVG_Lunchtime_28-Apr-2019

Got back into it this afternoon.

03. DVG_Evening_28-Apr-2019

And here's how they look this evening.

04a. DVG_Evening_28-Apr-2019

There's still a lot to do of course, but I'm in no rush and am quite happy with the progress so far.

Cheers

H

• Like 1

Well, to all intents and purposes - that's both heads finished apart from some highlights on the hair, but I'll do that in a couple of days time.

Going forward, I want to now focus on the skintones of the torso's and the clothing, which is full of the tiniest details.

04. DVG_30-Apr-2019

03. DVG_30-Apr-2019

Still awaiting delivery of the final kit figures that are going into Doom's Dungeon. I'd think they'll turn up around end of this week.

Cheers

H

Still a long way to go of course, but it all seems to be coming together nicely. Think I'll get the skintones on the two Dancing Vampires finished tomorrow and then make a real start on all the tiny details of their clothing.
(And fix all my usual overpaints).
Also need to move those pole-arms behind the statue and add some goop oozing down the walls.

09. DoD_02-May-2019

08. DoD_02-May-2019

07. DoD_02-May-2019

06. DoD_02-May-2019

• Like 1

Hi Cadman 

The 'H' jolted my memory and I remember your real name now!

I love the flesh tones on the 'ladies'. I have to say that your figure-painting has improved. One would think that impossible to achieve with such a high standard as the base line!

(I nearly typed Bass line then and thought of Black Sabbath's 'Evil Woman' - which is apt!)

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Cadman 

The 'H' jolted my memory and I remember your real name now!

I love the flesh tones on the 'ladies'. I have to say that your figure-painting has improved. One would think that impossible to achieve with such a high standard as the base line!

(I nearly typed Bass line then and thought of Black Sabbath's 'Evil Woman' - which is apt!)

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks mate.

Someone emailed me and suggested I've a second career beckoning - manning the ladies cosmetics counter at Victoria's Secret.

:surprised:

They're not finished yet and some of the parts are only a press fit right now. The effect on their skirts is okay and all that, but perhaps not quite what I was trying to do, so they might be coming back off for a dip in some paint stripper.

Dunno, still thinking about that one. But I've decided these ladies are not going into Doom's Dungeon after all, so I'll get on with two different figures while I wait and see if I can get my hands on the particular type of paint I want to try out on those skirts. Should get an answer back from the hobby paint manufacturer over the next couple of days - if they can understand my execrable attempts at the Spanish language.

As for the fleshtones, they need a significantly different approach from the typical male figure. The main difference is that the contrasts and blending have to be kept really subtle - and that's something I haven't always done too successfully. I use acrylics, so the only way to achieve very smooth blending is by multiple glazes of very diluted paint. The technique appears to have worked okay with these two beauties.

Cheers

H

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this one is now very close to being finished with the exception that I still need to decide whether to include the two "Dancing Vampires" - who's skirts are to be repainted anyway.
Other than that, there's not too much remains to be done apart from an additional skull here and there.

06. DoD_15-May-2019

07. DoD_15-May-2019

08. DoD_15-May-2019

09. DoD_15-May-2019

10. DoD_15-May-2019

• Like 1

Hi  H,

You can never have too many additional skulls, here and there. Even the avalanche of skulls in Lord of the Rings, Return of the King was a bit 'underdone' in my book!

Your dungeon is looking great, and I do like that stonework, but I wonder if you've thought of some suitable wall-hangings/tapestries etc?

Rearguards,

Badder

1 minute ago, Badder said:

Hi  H,

You can never have too many additional skulls, here and there. Even the avalanche of skulls in Lord of the Rings, Return of the King was a bit 'underdone' in my book!

Your dungeon is looking great, and I do like that stonework, but I wonder if you've thought of some suitable wall-hangings/tapestries etc?

Rearguards,

Badder

Did consider it, but the only space available is to the left of the large statue. and I haven't quite figured out how to make them look old and rotten.

I'll have another think about it though.

7 minutes ago, Cadman said:

I haven't quite figured out how to make them look old and rotten.

That's an easy one H.....whether your wall hangings are fabric or paper, a going over with sandpaper is the answer. In some places you can literally rub holes in the hanging. I'd lay the hanging on my cutting matt, with all the blobs of paint and glue and dirt on it, then sand it. The mess on the matt will raise the paper in places and it will wear away  more quickly.

Reaguards,

Badder