How good is Airfix at following product suggestions?

Sturmovik

3 hours ago, RussellE said:

but a £35/hr rate works out at roughly $135AUD/hr!

! I'm off to buy my airline ticket, and pack my bags for the UK, 

Cancel ya ticket, unpack ya bags, get a subscription to xe.com = 35 GBP to AUD = 63.8102 Australian Dollars

10 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

Cancel ya ticket, unpack ya bags, get a subscription to xe.com = 35 GBP to AUD = 63.8102 Australian Dollars

Sorry my mistake. But heck, it's still 50% more than we're getting here!!! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You're maybe in the wrong industry Russell?

£35/hr would be relatively low for a moderately competent structural or piping designer in private sector industries conversant with products like Aveva PDMS or Bentley AutoPlant, and would be a healthy but not unrealistic freelancing rate for someone UK based and experienced in 3D modelling in the automotive industry. Indeed it was a friend working in JLR who suggested that might be a sensible budget figure to have in mind.

However if £12/hr is enough for someone with 22 years experience from Australia then that's great news!

As a slight aside, when we were struggling to find a new container supplier for our paints we explored lots of avenues. One option was to use 28ml glass jars with plastic screw-on lids. These would be supplied to us at mates-rates by the owner of Infini Model who also owns IPP paints who are in the Asian market, only the lids had IPP's logo on top. To get a lid either without that logo or with our own needed a new injection moulding tool designed and manufactured. Their tool cost them $10,000 US.

Sorry, my mistake. £35 is around $65 Australian, so not quite so lucrative as I'd thought. Still, around 50% more than going rates here, but not enough to make me want to move country! 

Egg on my face, hey? LoL!

BTW, $10k USD sounds about right. 

Edited by RussellE

Just now, RussellE said:

Sorry, my mistake. £35 is around $65 Australian, so not quite so lucrative as is thought. Still, around 50% more than going rates here, but not enough to make me want to move country! 

Egg on my face, hey? LoL!

BTW, $10k USD sounds about right. 

That's how we end up with a 1/59th scale Yak 9 😀😀

No worries - it's easy to do 🍻

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's how we end up with a 1/59th scale Yak 9 😀😀

No worries - it's easy to do 🍻

Ah, the one true scale 😁

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 4/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, Andre B said:

Has Italeri ever made an reply? Or do they just speak only Italian?

They generally do, usually with one of those automatic replies that don't really say anything...

In any case Italeri have run several surveys in the past, asking modellers what they wanted in all the ranges the Italeri cover. I don't exactly know how many of the subjects proposed in these surveys have actually become a kit, when it comes to aircraft my feeling is.... none !

Surveys and suggestion forms are great for the us modellers, they allow us to push our ideas and hope that one day Airvelleri will issue a kit of that obscure interwar biplane that we've always wanted to build.

They are also a great tool for the companies, as allow them to draw modellers to their website or Facebook page, so increasing the profile of the Company. Of course in the end the suggestions are generally thrown in the electronic equivalent of the garbage bin. And righly so, as 90% of the times we modellers tend to suggest subjects with close to no commercial potential...

And the kind of subjects we propose bring me to one thought that I've had for ages: now I fully understand that people here have a great love for Airfix, afterall it's a well known British company and everyone knows the brand, so much that I've been told that plastic kits are even generally known as "Airfix". Airfix kits are also easily available at good prices, so the name is sure the one that immediately comes to the mind of a British modeller.

And yet, even with all this in mind, why do people keep hoping that Airfix could do every imaginable subject covering every era in the history of aviation ?????

It shoud be clear that there are subjects that do not guarantee the kind of revenues that a mainstream manufacturer require. These subjects are best left to the "short run" side of the industry, companies that can still make a profit even with production runs of 2-3 thousand kits or even less and are for this reason the ones best suited to cover that obscure biplane or early jet.

Now some will say "yes, but short run kits are more difficult to build.." to which I generally reply that modern short runs are no more difficult than many mainstream kits ! I'd rather build another RS Re.2005 than certain Airfix, Revell or Italeri kits. And in any case, if I'm not sure that I can make a good job with one such kit, maybe I should focus on trying to achieve the kind of skills that I feel I may need, rather than using the time to ask Airfix or Italeri.

Others will say that cost of these short run kits is higher than for an equivalent mainstream kit, and that is true. Clearly smaller production runs and different manufacturing techniques result in higher prices.. but really, if I'd like a kit of the Tebaldi Zari fighter (one of the most unusual subject I can think of...), maybe I should first understand how much I really want it before I pester any company with my suggestion. Do I really want this kit ? Then maybe I should accept that I may have to spend a little more, maybe even twice what a mainstream kit would cost me. Again, the matter is do I REALLY want this kit ?  If so, maybe I should post such a suggestion on Special Hobby or AZ or Sword pages rather than on the Airfix or Italeri pages.

And the question "do I really want that kit" brings us to another problem with surveys and suggestions received by the companies: anytime there's a survey modellers propose the most weird subjects, yet when less common subjects are issued they often result in low sales... meaning that yes, we're always ready to propose something weird but then we are less ready to buy it and when the time comes to open our wallet, we leave the shop with another Spitfire/109/Phantom/F-16... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Asmodai said:

That's  the first mistake armchair CEOs make - assuming their personal opinions are valid for the entire market. If the question is 'How good is Airfix at following product suggestions?', my answer is - "Hopefully not very, if they want to stay in business". 

Firstly, thanks for the promotion! Here was me thinking I'd forever be head cook and bottle washer.....

Second, it isn't an opinion it's a statement!

Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Trumpeter etc. etc. have all got  the releases (?) for the next two year 98% done, dusted and sorted. All the hot air in creation won't make a main stream manufacturer do what you want without the marketing team giving the green light. When everybody realises that with any company the primary remit is to make a profit and hopefully a return for the share holders. So, if it has to be 50 new Me.109's and a further 50 Spitfires and heaven forefend 50 new

'lawn darts' so be it, hopefully they will obtain sufficient sales to pay a dividend and maybe we may just see the Holy Grail, the kit everybody wants, the Scruggs Wunderplane Mk.VII and a half...

Paul

with just a smidge over forty years in sales and thirty five running a company......

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Firstly, thanks for the promotion! Here was me thinking I'd forever be head cook and bottle washer.....

Second, it isn't an opinion it's a statement!

Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Trumpeter etc. etc. have all got  the releases (?) for the next two year 98% done, dusted and sorted. All the hot air in creation won't make a main stream manufacturer do what you want without the marketing team giving the green light. When everybody realises that with any company the primary remit is to make a profit and hopefully a return for the share holders. So, if it has to be 50 new Me.109's and a further 50 Spitfires and heaven forefend 50 new

'lawn darts' so be it, hopefully they will obtain sufficient sales to pay a dividend and maybe we may just see the Holy Grail, the kit everybody wants, the Scruggs Wunderplane Mk.VII and a half...

Paul

with just a smidge over forty years in sales and thirty five running a company......

Whatever. You have a very inflated opinion of your opinions. I’m sorry you’re bored of 109s. They keep the doors unlocked and the lights on. 

:rofl2::rofl2: 

we shall have to try to be grown-up about the 109 and agree to disagree.

One thing I will suggest is you take it down a notch, throwing personal insults isn't the ticket.

Paul

• Like 4