As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

cduckworth

Why no Tupolev SB-2 bomber in 1/48?

Picked up the March issue of Scale Aviation Modeler today and was reading over the new kits (and repops) releases for this year.  I can’t understand why the SB-2 hasn’t been kitted in 1/48 by Zvezda, Dora Wings or Special Hobby.   Lots of appeal in SCW and Soviet markings.  Great hardbound book came out a few years ago with lots of GA drawings and drawings from the period manual.   I saw one kit on the web released by a Chinese firm a few years ago, perhaps a test shot, that apparently never got into production.   Seems like a ‘no brainer’ for a former Eastern block kit company.   

Maybe be next year....?

Edited by cduckworth
Auto correct wrong again

ICM have made a 1:72 SB's in the past, but I have never heard of a good quality 1:48 SB-2. ICM would be my best guess for releasing a 1:48 SB-2. If one pops up, im sure alot of people would build it.

If you are desperate, I have the old MPM vacform, which you are welcome to for cost of postage. I'll never build it. But, be warned, all transparencies  are MPM yellow.

Peter M

Peter

thanks for the offer but my track record with vacform kits is pretty dismal.  Sooner or later we’ll see one in injected plastic. 

Well, years ago I built the MPM 1/48 Vacuform.  MPM made some good models, not too difficult of course a bit more work.

See here for the result :  4958b315636ba89e7ea0a9d612319622.jpg

No worries CD.

John, your model looks nice. I did build an MPM SB-2 kit. It is still on the shelves with my other Russian aircraft. Even survived the trip from Aus to Thailand!

As I recall it was a relatively easy build. Still trying to work out why I bought two, though!!!

Peter M

Vedran

thanks for the update.  Looking forward to building one.