Komatsu Starfighter colours

franky boy

Hi all

Im planning on building this Starfighter below for the Lockheed gb.

b8f6bb1c-3426-4bdc-bfe8-557150711241.jpe

Does anyone have an idea of the colours? Does the Japanese airforce have colour standards such fs or bs?

The underside looks similar to RAF pru blue?

Thanks 

James

This photo was taken by a good friend of mine, "nabe3" during the annual Fighter Meet in 1982. According to the photo caption by him, these F-104Js were painted in grey two-tone overall. I'm not sure but they could be Dark Grey (1) (#3706) and Light Grey (2) (#3702).

Here's the link to his photo page.

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF1042j.html

The Ministry of Defense Japan has its own color standard NDS Z 8201E for the equipment and a PDF version can be downloaded from the link below.

https://www.mod.go.jp/atla/nds/Z/Z8201E.pdf

I will ask nabe3 to post here more information on Komatsu F-104J.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Edited by Junchan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Jun

Thats great info. I'll have a look around for those colours. I'm thinking Mr Hobby must do them?

I hope your friend doesn't mind me using his photo.

Regards

James

Don't hold your breath on getting the colours. Just about the only ones available off the shelf are the two blues of Mitsubishi F-2s and the Mitsubishi F-1 greens and browns.

To be honest you could easily use FS colours simply matching to photos and as long as they look close, no one will notice.

Jun - i may meet you in May at Shizuoka as i will be with Akira on the Silver Wings table. It would be nice to get together.

Andy

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

Don't hold your breath on getting the colours. Just about the only ones available off the shelf are the two blues of Mitsubishi F-2s and the Mitsubishi F-1 greens and browns.

To be honest you could easily use FS colours simply matching to photos and as long as they look close, no one will notice.

Jun - i may meet you in May at Shizuoka as i will be with Akira on the Silver Wings table. It would be nice to get together.

Andy

TBH I was expecting to have to do a bit of mixing but that’s fine.

James

Hi James,

I took the F-104J photo back in 1982 and I cannot remember the exact camouflage colours in comparison to other low-vis greys on military a/c.  The photo shows a little too pinkish due to the poor developping process of the Kodachrome KM film.  According to Hasegawa's instruction sheet for this particular F-104J kit, it says. . . . . . Darker grey; mixture of Gunze Mr.Color #308(FS36375) x 6 plus #305(FS36118) x 4.  Lighter Grey; mixture of Gunze Mr.Color #308(FS36375) x 9 plus #305(FS36118) x 1.  I hope this will help you to some extent. 

Hi Andy,

You surely will meet Jun-san at Hora-Buro's monthly meeting to be held at Harajyuku/Tokyo on 18MAY19, as he is a Top Dog of Hora-Buro.

Hi Jeffrey,

Looking forward to seeing you at Shizuoka Hobby Show.  Please join our big dinner in Shizuoka on 10/11MAY19 with your wife.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi nabe

Thanks so much for the reply. I’ll follow those colour mixes.

One last question. Can you remember what the underside colour is?

Regards

James

Hi James,

The underside colour is the same as the upper surface colour.  Also the camouflage pattern of the undersurface is basically the as the upperside pattern.

Akira

• Like 1