RAF pilot 1/10 Young

When i saw this model a while back i thought it would make for a nice break from 1/72 aircraft models, and still look at home on a shelve next to them.

I had been sitting in my stash for some time but a while back i cleaned up most of the parts, still i was a bit nervous about starting the model. i never painted anything in this scale, the largest figures i finished to a decent standard where some warhammer 40k figures but that was more than 20 years ago (oh dear...)

nevertheless youtube has some great tutorials, so between that and my past experience i dove in...

i primed the model in black and than came in with a misty coat of white, mostly sprayed from the top to create artificial shadows. works superbly in 1/72 so....

IMG_20190412_144706

the sculpting on this model is just phenomenal and this just brings it out further.  i tacked the head and collar in place but started painting with the head on a little wire stand.

i gradually build up the skin tones with very thin tranclucent coats, i made a littele wet pallet (thank you youtube for enlightening me) but also my "secret" thinner, being parket floor polish... the main advantage of this stuff is that it has a lower surface tention than water, it helps the paint self level. it also gives the paint a lovely satin sheen wich helps if you build up a lot of layers

anyway, i took pictures at 3 stages, but unlike my models the pictures actually look better than the real thing

stage one first layer of skin tones, still a little rough and a little pale, so it needed refining

IMG_20190412_165233

since i had to leave i rather hastily came in with some lighter tones

IMG_20190412_170802(1)

finally i blended the skin tones together and gave them a little more brown and red to make the sin look more lively

IMG_20190412_202723_Bokeh

IMG_20190412_202813(1)IMG_20190412_202925

i stared on the helmet using references on line... this model is very detailed so i hope i can finish it to a decent standard.

the goggles are a glaze of sand brown over chrome silver with some lighter reflections painted on, still rough but i thin kit already captures the sheen of the real thing a bit already.

• Like 12

On 4/12/2019 at 11:30 PM, Clogged said:

Great work.  Lovely sculpture of the head.  Almost a work of art.  You can almost see the emotion in his eyes.

Thanks, the sculpting is quite superb. And or as simple as they are i quite like how the eyes came out.

I added some facial shading and texture and worked on the helmet leather, as well as the jacket and life jacket. slowly building up the shades with thin glazes seems to work well thanks to the floor finisher as thinner. i will need a flat varnish in the end but the glossy paint helps spot where the highlights should go.

IMG_20190414_205430

IMG_20190414_205750

IMG_20190414_205554

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

I don't know why, but he looks like he could have come from one of the old 'Commando' comic books we had years ago. It's great . . .

Nick

I'm not familiar with that comic, but i can sort of imagine what it might be like. It's certainly a characterful sculpting, almost seeming alive, as his expression seemingly changing as you look at him from different angles.

IMG_20190510_193807_Bokeh

it's hard to photograph the progress... and all the steps so i'll try to give some details in case it might benefit someone..

i've been working some more on the face, layering on glazes... in the flesh, so to speak, his skin tone was a little pale and the shading a little patchy, so i put on some more bight colours, a little red for the cheeks and nose and some sand tones for the shades and than blended all of that together... to be honest, i don't really have a clue what i'm doing but slowly building it up seems to work so far, so we'll keep doing that.

up close to the model it might seem done, until a day later under different lighting it might seem to pale or some colours to prominent... i certainly get my money's worth out of this one.

I've also turned my attention to the woolly top of the jacket, basically starting with a dark wash like paint and once dry applying more tan and white tones focusing on the high spots.

the turtle-neck of his sweater was given a base coat of PRU blue and than the white was build up on top of that, the white parachute straps where done in a similar fashion.

the seatbelts where done in green and than a more tan colour build up on them, they are still a little to green, but o do like the overall effect.

i've come in with some sand for the shading of the life jacket, and some pure white highlights, i'll glaze over with some yellow again to brighten it up... i try to be as accurate as i can, but i a also hope to make it something attractive and interesting  to look at.

there's a lot of detail to pick out still and along with the backrest and loose belts there's a while bag of little pieces that will complete the model so i still have my work cut out for me.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, clive_t said:

A great job on what looks an interesting subject. I see they have quite a few busts in their product range.

yes, i'd certainly consider getting another one of their subjects. most appear to be based on characters in movies. The bust i'm painting is apparently based on the movie "Dunkirk"

regardless the detail is simply great and just paining this a solid colour would already make a nice display piece.

Absolutely incredible, definitely one of, if not the best, sculpts and painting I’ve seen.

Graham

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another quick update.

you can tell it's been a while as our stern looking pilot could do with a shave although his moustache is rather stylish.

i've tried to move to the separate pieces, most are basecoated now and i've figured out where everything should go on the model but there is still a lot to do... i have no experience with such large figures so it's mostely trial and error, but i'm surprised how many thing layers of paint you can put on... so if something doesn't look right it's a matter of going over it again. the white straps are still not the way i like but otherwise i think it's going quite well.

i've also slapped some matt varnish on the face to as it's was getting pretty glossing due the the floor polish used for thinning

IMG_20190603_131331(2)

IMG_20190603_131331(1)

IMG_20190603_131400

• Like 11